The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Over axle pipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys ,

I want to get my boss over axle pipes .. It has an arh 1 7/8 catted x ( cancelled side pipes )
, if you can help me out .. I need your recommendations on which ones to get ??

And how the sound difference would be like ?? Here car sound is a big issue ..

Im also thinking about getting axlebacks .. Any1 tried the flowmaster pro series ??

I thnk its either gonna be flowmaster pro series or gt500 axlebacks

Thanx in advance !!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I have thought of doing over the axle pipes but the car is lowered and I'm concerned the exhaust will contact the axle on compression. I have heard going with Borla's that are less than 3" solves this problem…anyone with experience please chime in. Thanks

Adam

Flyboygsxr said:
I have thought of doing over the axle pipes but the car is lowered and I'm concerned the exhaust will contact the axle on compression. I have heard going with Borla's that are less than 3" solves this problem…anyone with experience please chime in. Thanks

Adam

Ya if anyone has any oap or like can give us an advice on which one would be the best between the borla, lethal performance and jpc ... im also planning in maybe doing a custom oap too if its same as the oem in shaping.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The magnaflow cat back is a complete kit from mid pipe back it's 3". I didn't have clearance problems until I installed a swar bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Borla OA pipe. There is a minor clearance issue (contact on the panhard brace) of which can be fixed by making a couple 1/8" shims. I am not certain that this is not attributable to the car being lowered or the aftermarket panhard brace. Any other questions, let me know.

azazell64 said:
I have the Borla OA pipe. There is a minor clearance issue (contact on the panhard brace) of which can be fixed by making a couple 1/8" shims. I am not certain that this is not attributable to the car being lowered or the aftermarket panhard brace. Any other questions, let me know.

Yes pleeez ...!! .. What is the difference between those oaps and which one is the prefered 1 to order ?

I went to a scrap yard today and found shelby oaps ... They were same as gt which is 2.5 inch diameter and no resonators ... I think its not worth it getting those gt500 oaps since they r 2.5 inch diameter.

I don't know that I or anyone for that matter has seen much of a performance gain from going to the 2.75" OA. That being said the sound difference is a little louder with these on. If you're going for a budget exhaust, get the GT500, if you want to squeeze ever last ounce of sound and possibly performance from you car, get either the Lethal Gen2's or the Borla. Again, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

azazell64 said:
I don't know that I or anyone for that matter has seen much of a performance gain from going to the 2.75" OA. That being said the sound difference is a little louder with these on. If you're going for a budget exhaust, get the GT500, if you want to squeeze ever last ounce of sound and possibly performance from you car, get either the Lethal Gen2's or the Borla. Again, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you for being kind, this makes me wanna buy the gt500 oaps .. so for sure i will se no performance gaince with the 2.75's compared to the 2.5's which is on the gt500 ?? not even 5 hp or tq ??

I wanna makes sure to buy the one that i want , and when i so those oaps ... damn they look shitty compared to the 304 ss ones lol ,, and if anyone have seen the gt500 plz tell me if those are 2.5's or not cuz i think they r .. ive read sumwhere that they are 2.75 but from what ive seen they r not and am not sure if they r gt500's cuz ive seen them in a scrap yard

Many thanks for your responce sir,

You may in fact see the 5HP/TQ, the issue is what is the cost difference between the GT500 OA pipes and the Borla/Lethal pipes. The litte amount gained by these I would say the only way you would see the numbers, if at all, would be on a dyno. As I said before, if you're trying to squeeze every last bit out of your car just to have a better dyno number then by all means do it. That being said, I am also not saying that you will not see similar gains with the GT500 OA pipes. I truly believe it's a matter of cost/preference on which of these you should buy, you will be happy either way.

I'm running the JPC over axle pipes on my car which are 2.75". They fit great and are quite a bit lighter then the factory resonator pipes they replaced.

I'm lowered about 1.5" and have no issues with rubbing but at the same time I do not run a PHB on my car so take that into consideration.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how much additional noise just the JPC OAP contributed to the equation since I installed the pipes and my FRPP Sport axle back at the same time. I think the combination sounds great and has no droning issues at any speed. The sound of this setup is kind of like Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. Very aggressive when called upon but fairly tame under normal driving conditions. It definitely wakes up once you get into the gas peddle as the RPM's increase.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I have the lethals, which are the same rebranded CPE pipes as JPC sells. The 2 piece design allows you to adjust to get it fitted properly, but it does take quite a bit to get them to tuck up high enough. Can't verify a hp increase, but definitely feels like it. Rev auto says they usually get around 8rwhp out of them. Noise wise, definitely louder on everything more than idle. I do have catless though, so take that into consideration.

The budget answer is to simply have a shop cut out the resonators.

My philosophy is that I'd switch the oap after I do do headers, off-road X, tune, etc. With my Roush exhaust, it's already looouuud.

Will the GT500 axle-backs pass 90dB sound limit at Laguna Seca Raceway?

The LMR axle-back comparison is awesome! The table says the GT500 axle-backs (M-5230-MGTCA1) are about 10-15dB louder than stock. In particular, full rev is listed as 100.6dB, compared to the stock 91dB.

Has anyone passed the 90dB sound limit at Laguna Seca Raceway with these GT500 axle-backs (in an otherwise stock-ish configuration (stock side exhaust discs) -- I have the CF Airaid intake on my 2013 LS)? I don't want to start using tricks (lifting, lower gear, moving left, exhaust tips that point left) to pass sound at Laguna Seca.

PS I asked this question at LMR, but no definitive answer there yet. I figured someone here has attempted this exhaust/track combination! 8)

SBY LS330 said:
Will the GT500 axle-backs pass 90dB sound limit at Laguna Seca Raceway?

Has anyone passed the 90dB sound limit at Laguna Seca Raceway with these GT500 axle-backs (in an otherwise stock-ish configuration (stock side exhaust discs) -- I have the CF Airaid intake on my 2013 LS)? I don't want to start using tricks (lifting, lower gear, moving left, exhaust tips that point left) to pass sound at Laguna Seca.
I have passed with GT500 axle backs, 1/2" exhaust discs and Airaid CF intake. It partly depends on the weather and if it's overcast or not.

Have you seen this? Where are you located?

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8712.0

NFSBOSS said:
I have passed with GT500 axle backs, 1/2" exhaust discs and Airaid CF intake. It partly depends on the weather and if it's overcast or not.

Have you seen this? Where are you located?

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8712.0

Thanks for the pointer, but I will be at the Indy 500 that weekend!

I'm in San Jose, and I met Grant in the paddock at Laguna Seca. I think it was with Hooked On Driving -- either March or May 2014 (or maybe even September 2013) -- since TrackMasters-Racing is avoiding Laguna Seca due to the 90dB limit. I remember Grant climbing under his car in the paddock in the afternoon and pulling the exhaust discs, just to hear the difference.... so I would think we have some sound margin. I never bothered to ask to be monitored, since I knew I wouldn't exceed the sound limit.

But I am concerned when you say "partly depends on the weather...." Does that mean you have gotten black-flagged due to sound when it is overcast? Or would you just skip the first morning session to avoid the situation altogether? ??? ???

NFSBOSS said:
I've never been black flagged there but I heard if it's overcast it's harder to pass. I don't think I'd have a problem with my current setup.

Just what I needed to hear! Order placed. Thanks!!! :) :) :) :)

TMO Supporting Vendors