The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oversteer "Snap Back"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just looks like you exited 17 really fast but kept to much wheel in the car and pinched 17a while getting back to full throttle. The car get grip help from compression there, but it unloads quickly on exit and is flat or slightly off camber. Gotta unwind the wheel as you get back to the gas and track out a little sooner. If you were able to hold it there it would have been quick but it just bit you. Super fast driving all weekend though on those street tires, be safe and see you in May.
Steve

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I did the exact off track event a few months ago. Keeping the windows down sure makes for a big clean up job later!! Keeping the car moving after the spin was a good idea, those summer fires can be scary, some guys get out of the car to see the damage first. My instructor keeps telling me that the steering wheel and my right foot have to be in sync. Told me to think of a pulley that attaches the steering wheel to my accelerator, more steering input, equally less gas, as you go to center the right foot goes down. Certainly helped me! Also found that at the limit the traction control does strange things to the rear brakes. Much better with it off in the end.

You can program the traction control to be normally "off" in case you forget, I'm not sure about these cars but the T/C was a sure fire way to burn the rear brakes off your car in a short period of time, or at the worst, create a lot of heat and rear brake lockup or fade, (depending where in the process it occurs). That "string from the wheel to the pedal" thing is part of the traction circle , you get one of the other, but not both.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, hope to have my car on the dyno as is and logged for a AED tune later this month. Having the TC killed full time will be on the tune list.

13Boss said:
A severe case of tank slapper scenario

http://youtu.be/GpQeAYHOrGE

That's a great example of why rear aero is so important on fast sweeping turns. Break loose at high speeds without VERY soft hands and just a smidge of countersteer and you get this. It's also why I strongly encourage people to take advantage of skid pads if they have them at their tracks. It's the only place to practice countersteering and not "wildly jerking your arms in an out of control screaming panic".

I had a spinout scare a couple years ago while I was on less aero and dampers without the rebound strength to keep the rear tires planted (the brakes overpowered the rear suspension). In my 100+mph spin I just let the car vector straight since there was gravel runoff. I didn't try to save it at that speed, or I would have ended up like the above video. Watch my hands - no panic. Which is sometimes the best way to handle that situation. Needless to say that's when I drop the money for grand am shocks and G-stream. Never experience rear lightness again. So the right parts DO matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy-TLfRjofA

DG#56 said:
That's a great example of why rear aero is so important on fast sweeping turns. Break loose at high speeds without VERY soft hands and just a smidge of countersteer and you get this. It's also why I strongly encourage people to take advantage of skid pads if they have them at their tracks. It's the only place to practice countersteering and not "wildly jerking your arms in an out of control screaming panic".

I had a spinout scare a couple years ago while I was on less aero and dampers without the rebound strength to keep the rear tires planted (the brakes overpowered the rear suspension). In my 100+mph spin I just let the car vector straight since there was gravel runoff. I didn't try to save it at that speed, or I would have ended up like the above video. Watch my hands - no panic. Which is sometimes the best way to handle that situation. Needless to say that's when I drop the money for grand am shocks and G-stream. Never experience rear lightness again. So the right parts DO matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy-TLfRjofA

I am sure aero would have helped, however he did let off while counter steering so I think it could have been saved if he had kept in it till he got traction back. Also I find it funny because I had done the exact same thing at that same spot. In my case I was trying to turn while braking which ends up not working.

It definitely could have been saved. My additional point was that some conditions are not saveable and trying to do so will make it worse. So you have to know which is which.

You can brake while turning. Up to a point. Depends on the cars setup and other things.

DG#56 said:
It definitely could have been saved. My additional point was that some conditions are not saveable and trying to do so will make it worse. So you have to know which is which.

You can brake while turning. Up to a point. Depends on the cars setup and other things.

I know about trail braking, my issue was carrying too much speed into 1 and trying to turn while still hard on the brakes, ended up looking at others coming into the turn just as you did. When you began to spin did you press the clutch and brake to lock you up so you slid backwards?

Brandon302 said:
I know about trail braking, my issue was carrying too much speed into 1 and trying to turn while still hard on the brakes, ended up looking at others coming into the turn just as you did. When you began to spin did you press the clutch and brake to lock you up so you slid backwards?

I was threshold braking and we think the damper settings weren't stiff enough to keep the rear tires from unloading (too much front grip, not enough rear grip). Right before the spin you can see the camera jiggle. That's the rears locking up after unloading. Once the rear tires lock up (especially on a downhill fast straight like that) you are going to spin - you will see this from time to time in pro-racing when they overcook it in the brake zone - spin-a-rama into the gravel. The moral of it all was the car was not cross-balanced at that point but also braking at the limit is a delicate thing.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel