The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Oversteer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Need some advice.

13 GT Track Pac with BMR track springs, koni yellows, BMR relocation brackets with LCA on second hole, LCA and UCA. Camber plates on Bridgestone RE11s.

Overall happy with the car it inspires confidence. I am noticing in lower speed corners I seem to be having a hard time getting out fast. I watched a few videos i took and for example corvette stingray i can pace corner entry and mid corner and than on corner exit just pulls away. As well watched this with a Camaro 1LE.

What are options to improve this?

Watts link?
Larger front bar?

Thaks for help

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
+1 on your line...and

Could you be early-midcorner pacing the faster exit cars because you are a little late and a little hard on the brakes? Setting on the Koni's?

I had the same thought but couldn't figure out how to word it properly. Coming in too fast and having to accelerate out of the corner later as a result.

Watts Link. The Fays 2 is a bargain for the money. If you can find one used even better. I don't know much about those springs. I had great luck with the Steeda Boss 302 springs and those Koni yellows along with a strano adjustable rear swaybar. You can leave your front SB stock. If your interested in some Steeda springs let me know. PM me.

+1 on posting a few videos to show us your line, and entry and exit speed thru the apex. I also agree on the Fays2 watts link recommendation and a wider tire. What are your camber settings?

Last edited:
Tha ks for feedback guys. I will try to post a video later to help.

In response to other questions. Brakes i have cooling ducts and run carbotech xp10 in fronts i swap over for track days. Rear i run ferrado 2000 and run all thr time.

Konis i have been doing 2.5 turns in the front and 1.5 in the rear.

Camber is 1.7 with zero toe.

Bmr springs are linear 240F and 200R

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
+2.... I found 275 too be way to skinny.... Now the currrent 295's are too skinny.

But seriously, I think 295's are a minimum decent tire size.

Pshh. Watts link will more than make up for a lack of tire or power.

No, it won’t. A watts link is not a magic bullet. @blacksheep-1 can show you that the Phoenix drivers are faster with a panhard bar than a watts link, but they are also pro drivers. They’re also running much wider race rubber. While most non-pro drivers typically prefer the watts set up (myself included) it will not and cannot compensate for the car being under-tired.

@03dakrt as others have said you need more tire. 285’s are almost the minimum now, bigger if you can swing it. You can run 285s square on an 18x10 or 19x10 with the stock suspension without issue. Running up to 315 square can be done under the stock sheet metal with spacers and some modifications and additional camber.

There is no debate that the Panhard bar is lighter and simpler than a Watts Link, which are likely primary reasons why its preferred by professional race teams. However, what I like about a Watts Link is the roll center moves in a perfectly vertical line relative to the chassis allowing handling characteristics to be identical in left or right corners. I would first address the tire width issue. I agree with running a 305 or 315 square setup and a smaller rear sway bar before trying a Watts Link.

Last edited:
That's not what the people who sell Watts Links say.
Imagine that....
Actually, I don't know of anyone that ran a Watts in IMSA or PWC, at least for very long.
First things first, at least run a 305 tire
Smaller rear bar, 18mm or no bar
Ford "blue" bar up front (I don't have a part number, all I know it as is the "blue bar")
about 350 rear, 550-600 up front
Get a hole saw and hog out the front strut hole, you'll need all the camber you can get.(limited in some classes)
Standard T2 set up for SCCA

TMO Supporting Vendors