The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

OWN A HELMET? COME ON IN!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So looking at a new helmet and considering A Bell BR.1 with side and top air modular capability.
Anyone have experience with Bell BR.1?

Previous helemet was AGV R3 (Pre K3)

Also, cant help but notice the Zamp RZ-42 Air, and Zamp RZ-44C Air helmets.
Heard Zamp was lower end vs Bell but Bell owns Zamp?
Anyone here have a Zamp? If so what model/year and what is your experience?

Thanks all!

I've been a big fan of Bell helmets over the years and have owned many. I was a bigger fan when they were made in the US. ::) It's a matter of what fits into your budget and getting the right fit. I believe all Snell 2015 helmets will have a similar minimum level of safety in an impact. I picked up a Bell GP.3 last year and am happy with it. This is the first helmet I've owned with such a small opening and I'm not sure I'd do that again.

IMG_8952.JPG

Last edited:
big fan of the Stilo ST5 that I'm currently running (same at Matt). Came from an HJC Si12 which was also very nice. Also just dropped in on a set of Stilo WRC DES helmets for me and my daughter to auto-x in...they have a terrific visibility / safety balance and have excellent built-in comms (which is coming in handy as we co-drive and I coach her). Added bonus: the rally style.

I liked the Stilo but have been an Arai guy ever since going to crotch rockets, so I picked up a new Arai GP6S in Frost Black over the 4th of July weekend.

IMG_1888.JPGIMG_1889.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
If it hasn't been mentioned previously, yes they indeed have different shapes internally as well. In the MC world the SHOEI and ARAI helmets are known as "one is round one is egg shaped" inside. I get what helmet is what shape confused, but we were having the shape discussion at the Shelby meeting the other night and often people who complain of pressure/pain right in the center of their forehead from their helmet are more likely to want the "egg" shape internally instead of round. Also, I thought it was an SA thing, but the eye opening on my Arai SA helmet is smaller than my Arai motorcycle helmet. Both are of similar age. Not a fan of the smaller opening and assumed it was about race safety. I agree with VooDooBoss that I like the larger opening.

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
I'll add that you may not get that "forehead pain" just throwing the helmet on and standing there for 15-30 seconds looking around. You should go ahead and cinch it down snug and commit to 5 minutes or better. Be a hero and buy a helmet balaclava (if you don't already have one) and roam the location and look at other stuff if you have to kill time. Your head will thank you and you won't have a distraction while driving.

[edit- yes I know that doesn't work buying online so maybe see what the return policy is. Imagine buying a pair of shoes and realizing they cause a blister every time you wear them. The price of the helmet doesn't matter, you're still investing in quality protection.]

All good points and when it comes down to it I agree on the larger opening; however, I am most comfortable in the Arai. I will give up a marginal increase in the opening near the top/eyebrow area as long as the peripheral view is still good.

TMO Supporting Vendors