The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Owners Kit - I think I give up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Blown54 said:
Crap i have car #1429! i been looking off and on for this kit :(

I too believe these should say with the car, but it just not a realistic expectation given wholesale and trade in units.

However, you are most fortunate to have this opportunity. If you plan on keeping your Boss long term, I would jump on this not to loose it. I do have add this though, I use the Key Fob for my TracKey, but otherwise I don't even know where I left it in the house most of the time.

It's a true Boss 302 Mustang Enthusiast thing, IMO.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get it without competitive bidding.
302 Hi Pro

I can't figure why someone would get rid of the car and keep the kit. When I sold my 93 Cobra and 95 Lightning everything I had, original window stickers, SVT certificates, marti reports Unique brochures etc all went with them. If this guy wanted a spare he should get on from Ford and sell you the one that goes to you car.
Some people are just weird I guess.

k98dave said:
I can't figure why someone would get rid of the car and keep the kit. When I sold my 93 Cobra and 95 Lightning everything I had, original window stickers, SVT certificates, marti reports Unique brochures etc all went with them. If this guy wanted a spare he should get on from Ford and sell you the one that goes to you car.
Some people are just weird I guess.

I think some people that trade them in keep the kit, then try to find the owner afterwards.

I wouldn't put it past a dealership or car lot to try to sell it separate from the car on eBay. It's a silly way for them to try to make a buck.

I found a kit close to my # of Boss. I was unable to find the original kit from the dealer even though I bought mine used in August of '12. I realized when I received it, that I just needed to swap out the certificate of authenticity (I guess you could call it) and everything else was the same. The one piece of paper that identifies the car number I got through a Ford website. Somewhere on this site is a link. Kind of nice to have the kit if you plan to keep the car. I found an original package kit in great shape for a great price. Good luck! ;)

Bay Area
I dunno, I think I would keep my kit. It was meant for the original owner and if or when I sale my Boss I would like to keep a piece of it. That's my look on it. For the second owners and beyond, you don't get any of the perks of being the OG owner. Till then tell me how your track attack was. ha!

I bought most of the kit through Ford, I figured it was close enough. I don't think that will make or break a deal when I go to sell the car whenever that is......when I sold my Cobra R I made a copy of the kit in case I ever get another one.

My "Track Attack" is awesome every time I do a track day In MY Boss with ME driving. LOL. I consider myself lucky I ran across a 2500 mile Boss that was essentially new and did not have to pay the dealer mark up. I love my "Faux" owners kit and I plan to continue driving the snot out of #0576 at the track :) Happy Holidays!

I contacted the guy that sold it. He said his father owned the car and found the kit a couple months after selling the car. I sent him my contact info to give to his dad as i bought the car from a dealer in Chicago and the car was from Philly. I am hoping to here back and maybe find out where the kit went and the guy who bought it is willing to sell it. I know he paid $250 for it. and i am fine with him making some money off it just so i have the correct stuff for my car. I plan to keep this car to hand down to my son one day and he is only 9 right now.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Yes, this is another classic Mustang story in the making. A son grows up with dad and his Mustang. Both working on the Boss 302, attending car shows and Mustang events, plus a few road trips along life's journey.

A total father and son bonding experience with a promise of future ownership for the son. That is a wonderful story. You're a very fortunate Dad and I wish you and your son many, many years of smiles and good times with your Boss 302 Mustang.

All the best to you and your son,
302 Hi Pro

This reminds me of the guy that wanted to sell me the window sticker and misc GT500 owner's paraphernalia for my car at a 500 buck price. He started reading me off all the stuff he has, and it exactly matches all the stuff I got from Ford because I saw this coming. I offerred him 50 bucks for it..he got mad, sorry dude, you have a market of 1.
I thinks it's cheesey that someone would hold out on you though.

http://www.fordshowparts.com/store_contents.cfm?cart_id=07303832370111114100831042510920151507&store_id=1&dept_id=1137&product_id=7059

13_BOSS_Cert_Package-web_300.jpg

As soon as the 2013 owners kits became available from Ford i bought one. But it would sure be nice to have the orginal stuff from the car since they dont send you everything such as the box and track attack stuff. I do have the Key chain too, i just need to put my number on the back of it.

Berol said:
I think some people that trade them in keep the kit, then try to find the owner afterwards.

I wouldn't put it past a dealership or car lot to try to sell it separate from the car on eBay. It's a silly way for them to try to make a buck.

Agreed. I wouldn't give my kit if I traded in the car. Especially if it isn't a ford dealer. I would suspect someone at the dealer walking off with it.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Blown54 said:
I do have the Key chain too, i just need to put my number on the back of it.

When you do, Ford etched 3 lines on the back of the key fob.

Line 1: 2012 (2013) Model year specific.
Line 2: BOSS 302
Line 3: 2800 (Boss production number specific)

Etching is done in all caps, and each line has "centered" font.

The Key Fob was a real nice touch from Ford.
302 Hi Pro.

VooDooBOSS said:
It's a free country and ebay is an open market place. If the guy bought the kit through an auction then it belongs to him. Your job is to find what will motivate him to sell it to you and you haven't found that motivation yet. Clearly money isn't the answer so ask him what he wants for his Boss as a starting point. With that said I would hope one BMO member would help another out especially as it pertains to the owner's kit.

I'm on record that I would not give my owner's kit away with my car unless I meet the person and can hand it to them. Then there's no guarantee that the person who buys my car won't keep the owners kit when they sell the car. Hopefully Ford comes out with reproduction kits so we don't have these issues. ;D

BTW I've got an ebay search saved for the kits and have thought of bidding on them to buy and then sell to the new owners of Bosses if they show up on BMO.

I did that with one person on the facebook pages. I bought a kit and kept it in storage and lo and behold some guy popped on with the same car and messaged him saying I have your kit, just pay me what I bought it for and it is yours.

302 Hi Pro said:
When you do, Ford etched 3 lines on the back of the key fob.

Line 1: 2012 (2013) Model year specific.
Line 2: BOSS 302
Line 3: 2800 (Boss production number specific)

Etching is done in all caps, and each line has "centered" font.

The Key Fob was a real nice touch from Ford.
302 Hi Pro.

Is that really the font on the key chain?

Sean said:
I did that with one person on the facebook pages. I bought a kit and kept it in storage and lo and behold some guy popped on with the same car and messaged him saying I have your kit, just pay me what I bought it for and it is yours.

Is that really the font on the key chain?
Very cool!

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
"Is that really the font on the key chain?"

No, perhaps I should have typed the font is centered on each line. I will also say, that on my Boss Key Chain the etching is very light. Hard to see in poor lighting conditions.

302 Hi Pro

VooDooBOSS said:

I feel that these should go along with the cars do I try to keep my eye on them this way I can grab them and if I find the owner I try to offer them. Well that is the plan anyway haha. If I find one for a 2012 though I would like to see if it is still on the road and if not I would like to use that to put all of the things I got from Ford for my car instead of having it in a UPS box.

302 Hi Pro said:
"Is that really the font on the key chain?"

No, perhaps I should have typed the font is centered on each line. I will also say, that on my Boss Key Chain the etching is very light. Hard to see in poor lighting conditions.

302 Hi Pro

Hahaha duh that makes more sense than having the font called centered. I must have had a brain fart there lol.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
After reading this I feel fortunate to have the complete original owners kit to LS#46. I think they are part of the car and should go with the car. Figure it in your asking and selling price.

TMO Supporting Vendors