The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P0013 CEL and Cam Position (bank1) fault

I am getting this fault everytime I restart the engine after a track session. It does reset every time and does not go into limp mode. I got it to the dealer this morning and they tell me the serviceable plug connector that plugs into the ECU had a broke pin. It will take a few days to get the connector so they will try the connector first and if thats not it they say the Harness is the next step.... It doesn't really make sense that I would only get that one fault and that it doesn't trip right away but I will see.
 
Good luck and in for results.
 
When was your Boss build date? I am guessing you will get a new wiring harness. It seems to me there was a running change on them but I don't remember the date.....something like August 2011 sticks in my mind. I got a new harness after the P0010 and P0012 and haven't had it come back.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Moto said:
I am getting this fault everytime I restart the engine after a track session. It does reset every time and does not go into limp mode. I got it to the dealer this morning and they tell me the serviceable plug connector that plugs into the ECU had a broke pin. It will take a few days to get the connector so they will try the connector first and if thats not it they say the Harness is the next step.... It doesn't really make sense that I would only get that one fault and that it doesn't trip right away but I will see.

It's possible but I agree with you that it's not probable based on what you've stated. There are a number of things that can cause there faults, the wiring harness is only one of them. The cam position sensor(s) can be at fault, and the crank position sensor can also cause it.

Can the dealer easily reproduce the problem ?
 
cloud9 said:
When was your Boss build date? I am guessing you will get a new wiring harness. It seems to me there was a running change on them but I don't remember the date.....something like August 2011 sticks in my mind. I got a new harness after the P0010 and P0012 and haven't had it come back.

I thought about that too but look at his build number in the sig #1991 not an early build
 
cloud9 said:
When was your Boss build date? I am guessing you will get a new wiring harness. It seems to me there was a running change on them but I don't remember the date.....something like August 2011 sticks in my mind.

My build date is sept 2011. I think the dealer replicated the fault as the fault is still there and I assume they tried to clear it. I will update on Tuesday with their progress. I hope this isn't a long process to get to just a bad sensor.....

Additionally, instead of letting them keep it over the weekend, I drove it home and for the first time ever I kept getting locked out of second gear, like the skip shift was stuck. I drove it with the black key and will try it tomorrow with the red key to troubleshoot. Is this possible? Maybe I should disable but I have never had trouble with it before this? This was mainly from a stopped start. It's not the shifter as it is perfectly smooth when the engine is off.
Looks like my MGW shifter is on the blink now as I suddenly have to push slightly into the reverse detent to get it down into second. Grrr....
 
Problem Fixed. The written diagnoses about the ECU plug was misinformation. The problem was actually the connector that plugs into the cam position sensor right on top, in front of each valve cover. My P0013 indicated the outboard passenger (exhaust) sensor. The green wire (there is a green and a purple) had broken off inside the connector so was hard coding the fault and the ECU must have gone to a backup (not limp) mode to account for no sensor reading. This was most likely better than an intake cam position fault. They now have serviceable connectors to splice into the harness so they don't have to replace the whole harness. It runs great now and I guess it was in this backup mode the whole time at Chuckwalla....ha!
 
Glad they found it. I had a broken pin connector when I was having a similar issue, although they subsequently ended up replacing the wiring harness for a subsequent fault. The wiring harness and connectors appear to be something they opted for low bid where they might have wished they spent a little more for quality. There have been a number of these electrical failures on these cars.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
14
Connecticut
Moto said:
Problem Fixed. The written diagnoses about the ECU plug was misinformation. The problem was actually the connector that plugs into the cam position sensor right on top, in front of each valve cover. My P0013 indicated the outboard passenger (exhaust) sensor. The green wire (there is a green and a purple) had broken off inside the connector so was hard coding the fault and the ECU must have gone to a backup (not limp) mode to account for no sensor reading. This was most likely better than an intake cam position fault. They now have serviceable connectors to splice into the harness so they don't have to replace the whole harness. It runs great now and I guess it was in this backup mode the whole time at Chuckwalla....ha!

Did they replace all 4 connectors ? If not I'd check each connector visually. If you take each connector off of it's respective cam position sensor you can check for small gold flakes on the inside of either the male or female end. You'll probably need a flashlight and a magnifying glass. If you see gold flakes you've spotted another bad connector. This check was advised to me by Ford engineering when I started having my Limp mode issues....

-Pete
 
PeteInCT said:
Did they replace all 4 connectors ? If not I'd check each connector visually. If you take each connector off of it's respective cam position sensor you can check for small gold flakes on the inside of either the male or female end. You'll probably need a flashlight and a magnifying glass. If you see gold flakes you've spotted another bad connector. This check was advised to me by Ford engineering when I started having my Limp mode issues....

-Pete

Pete,
That is a really great idea. I didn't think about another being ready to go.. I will give it this check.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top