The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P0020 error an power loss. Who has the wire harness for the boss??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi all. Off to the shop tomorrow to look for a short or broken pin causing power loss and P0020 codes. Any input would be very welcome, I have read that before changing parts check the wiring harness.

Error is apparently.... "The Engine Control Module (ECM) has detected a low voltage on the VVariable Camshaft Timing (VCT) circuit"

I managed to drive 100km home from time trial Ok (I think...). I Live in Chile and as such the local Ford dealer will not give me a warranty because it was a direct import. Where can I get the Boss specific wiring?? Does any one make a more robust harness to avoid this in the future??

Engine is stock but the car spends a couple days a month on the track. Number 2088. Relatively early build?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I was actually looking at Mike Maduske's 2012 Kona Boss yesterday while we were at the show and noticed that his camshaft position sensors did not have the wire harness ends looked and taped in a strain relief like my Coyote engine does. The ends near the connectors on Mikes Boss were just the two wires going into the connector and the harness hanging at a right angle. I will post a picture of mine and maybe Mike will post his. I think both Pete and Gary's cars had the same situation. Wonder why Ford would tape the '11 Coyote but not the Boss engines, extra vibrations from higher RPM could certainly vibrate the connector pins and cause a break.
Steve

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks every one. It was a broken pin! Was a quick fix at my shop, they made a new pin up and did not charge!! Leaves ya with a nice feeling all over!!

Thanks every one. It was a broken pin! Was a quick fix at my shop, they made a new pin up and did not charge!! Leaves ya with a nice feeling all over!!
This is probably the ultimate solution, but may not be the one for you. Hope it helps.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/thr...onaire-and-discussion-thread.2598/#post-87771

It's expensive and may take a couple months, but they may be able to use your bad harness for the upgrade. Not knowing how much a stock harness is, you may end up paying a little more or maybe a little less. Good Luck.

Hey how you guys doing, I'm joseph I'm new on this forum and I have a 2012 Boss 302, I recently experienced this engine code P0020. And I can't figure out what the heck is going on. Please fella's help me out. Thank you

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'd start by checking the connectors and their pins at the front of the cam covers and see if any wires are coming out of the back of the pins. Welcome, and good luck with the fix!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hi @Joseph Bimbo :
One thing we have seen with the 2012 cars is VCT system failure due to the connectors on the VCT solenoids. This is non-catastrophic and won't cause engine damage, but it will feel like your car is down 100hp and you will get a trouble code.

IF that is the cause of your particular failure, it is relatively easy to upgrade to the 2013 solenoids and harness pigtails. We had some recent discussion about this here, where you can find a link to order the replacement solenoids. You'll need 4 of them (again--assuming this is the root cause of your issue. Suggest full diagnostic first to be certain).
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/boss-302-race-car-build-thread.5404/page-51#post-179157

TMO Supporting Vendors