The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

the bad part is, mine goes into LIMP mode every time i PUSH it above 6,000 RPMs.. and the CEL is always ON, even the next day, session, etc.. So you have to constantly short shift, and it is a real pain in the ass.. especially when you are quicker than a ZR1 in the turns (granted he should be able to blow us away in the turns and straights, but he was not very 'seasoned' in the turns and i could pull away from him) and want to try and get yourself a good lead coming out of the turns b/c you know HE is coming for you on the straights!! Short shifting at 6,000 rpm doesn't help this situation!!

I HOPE the dealership can resolve this issue for me this week... Barber MotorSports Park is in two weeks!!

Jimmy Pribble said:
Same as you. CEL doesn't do anything to the car, so it's a non-issue. If the car goes into limp mode, I pull into hot pits and let it pass, which usually takes a minute or less. I could stay on the track, but I don't want to be a nuisance to the Mazda 2s trying to get around me and it keeps me from doing something stupid like driving off the track while I'm screaming at the car.

The CEL usually goes away the next day and leaves no codes behind.

haha, this comment about the Mazda 2's catching and passing u made me laugh.. b/c i was PISSED every time it'd go into limp mode and i saw a Miata or a Prelude gaining on me... not to mention the Porsche and ZR1 that was about to stack up and push my trunk into back seat of my BOSS!! And yes... i was screaming at the ECU EVERY time it happened!!

I hesitate to say this but I believe Ford finally fixed the misfire issue. I got my car back from the dealer the other day after having TSB 13-6-15 performed. I just completed my first of 2 days at watkins glen and no misfires...not a single one! If I don't get any tomorrow I will feel more confident that its fixed but this is a good sign. It was 90 degrees and I was running pretty hard. In the past under similar conditions I would get 1 or 2 with limp mode each session. The fix is apparently an O ring that they installed around the crank position sensor. The tech told me it was likely to added to better gap the sensor and reduce vibration. I couldn't get a copy of the TSB, but this is all from the work order and my conversation with the lead tech. I will report back with an update after tomorrow.

I'm not sure that TSB -13-6-15 applies to mine.. I think mine will fall into the category of KOER with cylinder/misfire and that pushes mine out to the "refer to powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostics category." I have no idea.. i'm a mechanical engineer myself, and can fix just about everything mechanical.. but these PCM/Electronic issues Drive me CRAZY!!

I'm taking it to the dealership in the morning.. i don't have much faith in them, as i think they've only programmed one or two Boss's total for track keys... but i'm going to remain optimistic until tomorrow!

SC BOSS said:
I'm not sure that TSB -13-6-15 applies to mine.. I think mine will fall into the category of KOER with cylinder/misfire and that pushes mine out to the "refer to powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostics category." I have no idea.. i'm a mechanical engineer myself, and can fix just about everything mechanical.. but these PCM/Electronic issues Drive me CRAZY!!

I'm taking it to the dealership in the morning.. i don't have much faith in them, as i think they've only programmed one or two Boss's total for track keys... but i'm going to remain optimistic until tomorrow!

The misfires associated with this thread are not related to TK as most of us receive both random misfire and specific cylinder misfires with both keys and prior to TK installation. If your experiencing either type or both its likely not related to the PCM or any programing. If its the installation of TK your dealer is having problems with make sure to tell them to do the install on over a hard line rather than wireless. It took my dealer 3 times to get it right.

Here's a direct link and text:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3607/tsb13-06-15.htm

tb10426a.jpg

FORD:
2011-2014 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2014 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and built on or before 5/1/2013 may exhibit a MIL illuminated with any combination of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308 and/or P0316. There will be no other DTCs or drivability symptoms present.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS), perform self test on the powertrain control module (PCM) to check for both key-on engine off (KOEO) and key-on engine running (KOER) DTCs.
If any DTCs P0300-P0308 and/or P0316 are present in KOER and/or a drivability concern such as cylinder misfire are present, this article does not apply. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
If any DTCs P0300-P0308 and/or P0316 are present in KOEO and no drivability concerns are present, remove the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and install an o-ring on the CKP sensor. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-14. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 13-6-15

Using IDS, clear DTCs and perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
FOPZ-9229-A O-ring

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

KBBOSS1086 said:
The misfires associated with this thread are not related to TK as most of us receive both random misfire and specific cylinder misfires with both keys and prior to TK installation. If your experiencing either type or both its likely not related to the PCM or any programing. If its the installation of TK your dealer is having problems with make sure to tell them to do the install on over a hard line rather than wireless. It took my dealer 3 times to get it right.

i understand what you're saying.. all i meant by it, is that i think the dealerships around here are lucky to even see one or two BOSS 302's since they arrived on the lots.. I'll report back after my visit tomorrow... WIsh me luck! I'll need it!

I assume the dealer's not doing a PCM reflash? It looks like they're just scanning and potentially clearing codes before installing the O-ring. Since most of us are clearing the codes at the track, will they still show up?

cloud9 said:
I assume the dealer's not doing a PCM reflash? It looks like they're just scanning and potentially clearing codes before installing the O-ring. Since most of us are clearing the codes at the track, will they still show up?

AFAIK, if the CEL/MIL goes out, no codes are stored. That has been my experience when taking my car to the dealer a few days after my CEL/limp events. That's why nothing has been done by the dealer to remedy this problem for me. They have never seen a code come out of my car. I think it is beyond crazy that something as severe as limp mode isn't stored until cleared. Is it that hard? I had a beeper in the 80's that stored like...hundreds of numbers. ::)

KBBOSS1086 said:
I hesitate to say this but I believe Ford finally fixed the misfire issue. I got my car back from the dealer the other day after having TSB 13-6-15 performed. I just completed my first of 2 days at watkins glen and no misfires...not a single one! If I don't get any tomorrow I will feel more confident that its fixed but this is a good sign. It was 90 degrees and I was running pretty hard. In the past under similar conditions I would get 1 or 2 with limp mode each session. The fix is apparently an O ring that they installed around the crank position sensor. The tech told me it was likely to added to better gap the sensor and reduce vibration. I couldn't get a copy of the TSB, but this is all from the work order and my conversation with the lead tech. I will report back with an update after tomorrow.

I just got back from the dealership.. On my way there the CEL went OFF.. . i was pissed.. just knew the tech would say, 'no light, no problem'.. SO, i immediately hopped onto the freeway and acted like i was driving around Road Atlanta again.. as soon as i got it up to 6,300 rpm and hammered down on it, it came back on in 4th gear going about 85-90 mph..

I looped back around and took it to the dealership hoping it'd stay on.. It also went into limp mode mometarily.. So i got it to dealership, WITH the CEL ON (thank god).. told them not to turn it off and pull the codes.. so the tech did.. They called Ford Racing Tech line, and they referred them to TSB 13-6-15. They are going to order the O-Ring (which is on backorder at the moment), and have me come back in next week to install it on the crank sensor, and do the neutral profile relearn, as it states in the TSB...

I'm HOPING this solves my issue like it did yours... Keeping my fingers crossed, and not getting my hopes up, as i'm a Realist!! haha.. Anyways, that's my update for now.. I'll report back again next week guys!

Luke

i also forgot to mention.. if you read the tsb, it says something like , "if there is a driveability issue, such as a MISFIRE.. do not use this bulletin." WELL, i have a driveability issue, MISFIRE and LIMP MODE.. I asked the service manager about this, and he said it's what Ford Racing Tech line recommended, and they were going to start there.. if it fixes it, awesome.. if not.. may have to reflash the PCM, Re-load the Track key program, and Re-perform the Neutral Profile Relearn.. or whatever.. So, fingers still crossed!!

Dealer is ordering the O-ring for me today. Hopefully it's not on backorder too long. You'd think they buy something inexpensive like an O-ring in bulk??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

I am considering self-administering that O-Ring TSB as a preventative measure. The new crank sensor I installed a couple months ago only had the "regular" orange/pink O-Ring seal.

I completed my second day at Watkins Glen yesterday without a misfire code - that's 2 days in a row since having the O-Ring installed. Previously at the Glen (and all other tracks) I would usually get at least 1 misfire each session and 2-3 limp modes per day. I could be wrong but I feel pretty good that the O-Ring has fixed the problem.

KBBOSS1086 said:
I completed my second day at Watkins Glen yesterday without a misfire code - that's 2 days in a row since having the O-Ring installed. Previously at the Glen (and all other tracks) I would usually get at least 1 misfire each session and 2-3 limp modes per day. I could be wrong but I feel pretty good that the O-Ring has fixed the problem.
That's great news.

I don't think I've posted this but I now have three track days since installing the FR competition pulse ring and I have not had any codes.

Just got misfires on the new motor today and wasn't even pushing it. Now i have a date for this latest TSB. Crossing fingers.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Smilieboy said:
Just got misfires on the new motor today and wasn't even pushing it. Now i have a date for this latest TSB. Crossing fingers.

With respect to this and your other post regarding flashing CEL--check your dealer's service receipt from when they installed the new engine, make sure they performed the Neutral Profile Misfire Monitor Learn procedure.

I took my boss back in to the dealer today, and had the tsb performed (they ordered the o-ring for me on monday). They also re-performed the Neutral Profile Monitor Learn Procedure (as per step 2 in the TSB). So far so good, i took it out on the interstate and got up to speed and pushed it past 6,500 rpms and on up to 7,000 rpms for a bit.. before when i'd do this, i would get a CEL almost every time!

Fingers crossed... Barber Motor SPorts Park (in Birmingham) is in two weeks!!

Luke

ArizonaGT said:
With respect to this and your other post regarding flashing CEL--check your dealer's service receipt from when they installed the new engine, make sure they performed the Neutral Profile Misfire Monitor Learn procedure.

will do, but im going to a different dealer for the TSB cause they are closer. Based on a couple of things i have found since re-taking possession of my car im not pleased with the QC of the ones who installed the motor.

TMO Supporting Vendors