The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

Got the car back from having the TSB done. They also had to burp the car as the coolant wasn't properly done after the motor was installed :mad:. So far no misfires but ill have to wait for a track day to test that. So far so good. 8)

jim woodruff said:
Well I ran the car three days on a rough track and pushed the car. No codes at all. Ithink we may have solved the problems. next track will be mid-ohio or pitts.int. The rebuilt gear box was great no problems here just a little whine.
Thanks, Ford
Second weekend update, I ran the car for four days at mid-ohio no codes and no problems except for the clutch pedal sticking down a couple of times. It looks like the miss fire codes have been resolved. Ford thanks for your help.

jim woodruff said:
Second weekend update, I ran the car for four days at mid-ohio no codes and no problems except for the clutch pedal sticking down a couple of times. It looks like the miss fire codes have been resolved. Ford thanks for your help.

Making progress...

Not thrilled that you still have clutch issues, however..

My $0.02

VTBoss302

jim woodruff said:
Time to remove the clutch spring. Justin just posted a video on the removal in the How To forum.

vista6019 said:
I experienced this same issue and just had the dealer perform the TSB work....looks like problem is solved...

Does anyone see a risk in doing this TSB even when no problems had been experienced so far, as precaution?

Orange said:
Does anyone see a risk in doing this TSB even when no problems had been experienced so far, as precaution?
It's a factory prescribed TSB so there's no risk and it won't affect your warranty. I just had it donelast week and of course everyrhing Iis fine while street driving. I won't know if it solved the random misfire issue until I get to the track in about three weeks.

NFSBOSS said:
Time to remove the clutch spring. Justin just posted a video on the removal in the How To forum.

Will Ford remove the spring or what is there correction proceedure.? I want to do everything by the book to get the extended warranty.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

jim woodruff said:
Will Ford remove the spring or what is there correction proceedure.? I want to do everything by the book to get the extended warranty.

Jim - removal of the spring is not a Ford sanctioned procedure. However, I can' t see how removing it would void any warranty other than the pedal assembly itself. Uf your oedal does stick to the floor this appears to be the remedy. If not, there is no reason to remove the spring. I have been driving for two seasons and many track days and still have the spring.

jim woodruff said:

If you're concerned about it, drop the coin and get the complete GT500 pedal assembly...

It's a genuine FOMOCO part..

My 2HP,

VTBoss302

PeteInCT said:
Jim - removal of the spring is not a Ford sanctioned procedure. However, I can' t see how removing it would void any warranty other than the pedal assembly itself. Uf your oedal does stick to the floor this appears to be the remedy. If not, there is no reason to remove the spring. I have been driving for two seasons and many track days and still have the spring.

The peddle stick seams to only happen when the car get hot from pushing it and a little brake fade. I am just going to remove the spring.

Re: P0300 & Limp Mode Questionaire

Ok, I've been asked to post this information on this topic. During my extensive research on building up my car for the track, I learned that during the development of the 302S and R cars, that under racing conditions (high RPM), the wires in the stock cam and crank position connectors would occasionally break inside the connector. This would cause the cars to throw intermittent CEL's. From the external of the connector it looked good and since this usually occurred on the track, it was extremely hard to troubleshoot off the track. So in the 302S and R cars they use an upgraded harness that is built by Precision Racing Services (PRS). Here is the link: http://www.p-r-s.com/main.htm

To do the upgrade, you have to pull your sensors and engine wiring harness and send it to them to do the mods. You should contact them to ensure you know exactly what they need. This is not a cheap mod at $1300. While I had my motor out, I went ahead and had Capaldi Racing send the stuff out and get the upgrade done. Here is a pic of the back Cam and Crank Position sensor and connectors. A drawback is that if you have a sensor go bad, you will have to get another one upgraded one from PRS. Hope this helps.

IMG_0370_zps6bdfd9d4.jpg

wwilde001 said:
Ok, I've been asked to post this information on this topic. During my extensive research on building up my car for the track, I learned that during the development of the 302S and R cars, that under racing conditions (high RPM), the wires in the stock cam and crank position connectors would occasionally break inside the connector. This would cause the cars to throw intermittent CEL's. From the external of the connector it looked good and since this usually occurred on the track, it was extremely hard to troubleshoot off the track. So in the 302S and R cars they use an upgraded harness that is built by Precision Racing Services (PRS). Here is the link: http://www.p-r-s.com/main.htm

To do the upgrade, you have to pull your sensors and engine wiring harness and send it to them to do the mods. You should contact them to ensure you know exactly what they need. This is not a cheap mod at $1300. While I had my motor out, I went ahead and had Capaldi Racing send the stuff out and get the upgrade done. Here is a pic of the back Cam and Crank Position sensor and connectors. A drawback is that if you have a sensor go bad, you will have to get another one upgraded one from PRS. Hope this helps.

IMG_0370_zps6bdfd9d4.jpg
Thanks for posting. If I can "limp" into this winter on my 3rd engine wiring harness, I will definitely be considering doing this mod this winter. Of course with my luck this year the new harness will fail next week during NASA TT. Is this still a problem on the '13s? It looks like you have a 2013. My early build '12 uses a part number that was only used for the first 3 weeks of production, so it was obviously revised on most of the '12s. The '13 has an even new part # so apparently was revised again.

I just went into limp mode and had p0300 code while on the track with TracKey and advactrac off
Is there a solid TSB now? Or they are still dealing with it in trial and error fashion?

13Boss#3328 said:
Serious problem?
Not really. Limp mode is a safety net. As long as your car runs fine you're probably ok but that's for you to decide. Lots of us have gone into limp mode at the track. It usually clears itself. Check your gauges to determine if anything else might be a problem like overheating or oil pressure.

NFSBOSS said:
Not really. Limp mode is a safety net. As long as your car runs fine you're probably ok but that's for you to decide. Lots of us have gone into limp mode at the track. It usually clears itself. Check your gauges to determine if anything else might be a problem like overheating or oil pressure.
The car runs strong, oil temp and pressure were normal, will go to the dealer on Monday

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel