The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have read this thread closely.

I own a '13 Boss #1808 produced on 8/6/2012. It is stock, I just removed the side pipe restrictor plates and installed a cut-off valve, but it is open almost the whole time :). I was on a track day in Calabogie last weekend. I used the silver key, as the TracKey is not programmed yet. I was new to the track and started slow. The car had 2,000km (1,250mls) on the clock. As I went faster and revved the engine harder (above 7,000rpm, hitting the limiter once) the CEL would flash and the engine went into limp mode. I would almost swear I had an Oil Temperature High warning in the display, but this came on only the first time and never appeared again. I was getting used to the track and was rather distracted driving around corners as this happened. Half a lap later the CEL would go off and I had full power again. The oil temperature was not even touching the yellow range, still in the green range about two widths of the indicator needle below the yellow range. Water temp was in the middle of the range, perfectly ok. I was concerned first, but the engine was running perfectly ok when not in limp mode. I did not recognize a misfire under acceleration. On the overrun there is lots of 'misfire' but I reckon that's programmed on purpose. The new Porsche models do that as well. The oil level was perfectly ok as well. So I went out again and the same thing happened again and again. At one time, the CEL would not go off again. Then I started to short shift not exceeding 5,000-6,000rpm and avoiding full throttle and things were ok. It looks like the oil temp has something to do with it. When the oil temp exceeded a certain value, limp mode would follow. I did have some fun after I got used to it but this sure is annoying for a car intended to be driven on a track.

I talked to a tech guy at the track garage and he said the ECU had a running-in program that would check and limit the engine use. Not sure if that's true but it would explain the problem.

I will be at the Ford dealer tomorrow to get the TracKey programmed and will see what codes the ECU has for me. Looks like my car falls under the TSB posted before. I booked a track day on Wednesday, hopefully the Boss will be ok by then. I keep you posted.

Christian, welcome to BMO. Not too far back in this thread and elsewhere on BMO is the TSB for the harness connectors and your dealer should perform that update for you. Good luck.

Update:

Had the Boss at the dealer today. On the drive to the dealer the CEL went off… They found DTCS P0300, P0302, P0304 and P0306 and followed actions in TSB 13-1-11 (Reprogramming the PCM and Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction). I will see what it's worth tomorrow at a track day at Mosport.

I have posted TSB 13-1-11 here.

Wish me luck for tomorrow :)

Christian: If you can get back to the dealer before your next track day I would suggest having them perform the TSB for the crank position sensor seal (O-ring). Many of us (Myself included) have dealt with the misfire issue and had the neutal profile re-learn done many times...it does not correct the problem. My car would throw P0300. 0304 and 0307 every track day, every session until I had the O-ring replaced. The misfires won't do any harm to the car so it's not a big deal if you can't get the O-ring done but they are huge PITA.

I'm heading to a open track day at Calabogie on the 17th with NE-SVT. I've never been there but I heard it's a great track!

KBBOSS1086 said:
Christian: If you can get back to the dealer before your next track day I would suggest having them perform the TSB for the crank position sensor seal (O-ring). Many of us (Myself included) have dealt with the misfire issue and had the neutal profile re-learn done many times...it does not correct the problem. My car would throw P0300. 0304 and 0307 every track day, every session until I had the O-ring replaced. The misfires won't do any harm to the car so it's not a big deal if you can't get the O-ring done but they are huge PITA.

I'm heading to a open track day at Calabogie on the 17th with NE-SVT. I've never been there but I heard it's a great track!

My dealer also told the seal " O Ring" was PITA to do...lol

Smilieboy said:
Had my first track day since the TSB in June. No issues what so ever.
Looks like it's the fix. I've had about four track days since having it done and haven't thrown a P03XX. I would have had at least a few each day in the past.

I have ordered the requried O-Ring but I just do not get where I have to add this o-oing, means, where is this sensor located where I have to put the o-ring on?! ???

Orange said:
I have ordered the requried O-Ring but I just do not get where I have to add this o-oing, means, where is this sensor located where I have to put the o-ring on?! ???

It goes around the Crank Position Sensor, which I believe is located on the rear passenger side of the block near (or on) the bellhousing. I'm going from memory of prior posts on the forum so I might be mistaken.

KBBOSS1086 said:
It goes around the Crank Position Sensor, which I believe is located on the rear passenger side of the block near (or on) the bellhousing. I'm going from memory of prior posts on the forum so I might be mistaken.

Thx, found it and changed the o-ring myself. Was a bit a hassle to fit it in right again, as there is not much space, but could have been worse. :)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I will throw this out there. I have not read all 18 pages, not even 2 and will not spend that kind of time trying to find out if this was already discussed.anywho, I have a gt, which has never had this issue. Then it ingested its weight in oil and seized. Put a new boss engine in and guess what?...p0300 code and goes to limp mode ALL the time. Dealer told me the misfire is from residual oil left over from the last engine (intake was reused). He said it would clear up with some hard pulls. It didn't. So, I pulled the intake and the runners were SOAKED in oil!!! This just didn't seem right, so I drowned the intake in denatured alcohol ( on the advice of steveespo). I also took out the pcv to see what it is doing and I believe it is defective and allowing oil to pass through and be drawn into the intake. I believe this is happening on decel, when the intake is at its highest vacuum. I think it will all go away with a dry intake and a fixed pcv. Maybe this could be part of the issue with all those who are getting the code? Again, just throwing it out there.

Orange I have the o ring and know where it go's but don't you have to have the dealer re learn something , I didn't think you could just remove it , add the o ring , replace it and your done ?

unit5alive said:
Orange I have the o ring and know where it go's but don't you have to have the dealer re learn something , I didn't think you could just remove it , add the o ring , replace it and your done ?

This is the way I understood it. To be on the save side I disconnected the battery prior doing it. However, I still have P03XX codes, for me it was not the fix, unless there is something that needs to be done by the dealer as your mentioned it.

Does anyone here can throw some light on this question?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I had my crankshaft sensor replaced, I am actually not sure if an o-ring was added and this was early enough where the use of them may not even have started yet. However, a relearn was also done. Since then, along with the previous replacement of my wiring harness, I have not seen a check engine light.unfortunately I think the root cause of the check engine light is so varied that there is no single process for remedy and any given car that has this problem.

Orange said:
This is the way I understood it. To be on the save side I disconnected the battery prior doing it. However, I still have P03XX codes, for me it was not the fix, unless there is something that needs to be done by the dealer as your mentioned it.

Does anyone here can throw some light on this question?
There's a procedure called the "neutral profile relearn" that needs to be performed by the dealer. I believe it resets the "0" position?

Sooooo.... I took the Boss out on my second track session last week and, lo and behold, the CEL lit up after a few laps. Having seen something about CEL being a common problem, I wasn't too worried but cut the session short anyway. Better safe than sorry.

I was able to pull the codes; P0300 and 0304. No limp mode, no noticeable change in how the motor ran. Now what? And then Bossmustangsonline delivers the answer again! :D :D :D

Anyway - since I live in a country where Ford does not recognize the Mustang as one of their breed, I am not sure they will be any helpful if I saunter over to them with the TSB 13-6-15. Also, I have a skilled 'Stang mechanic that'll probably make a much better job.

Question is - looking at the TSB "Figure 1 - Article 13-6-15" it seems that both a blue and an orange O-ring/gasket are added to the CKP, but the Part no. mentioned is only for the O-ring. So what do I need to order? Only the FOPZ-9229-A?

Thanks in advance!

//Swede

TheSwede said:
Sooooo.... I took the Boss out on my second track session last week and, lo and behold, the CEL lit up after a few laps. Having seen something about CEL being a common problem, I wasn't too worried but cut the session short anyway. Better safe than sorry.

I was able to pull the codes; P0300 and 0304. No limp mode, no noticeable change in how the motor ran. Now what? And then Bossmustangsonline delivers the answer again! :D :D :D

Anyway - since I live in a country where Ford does not recognize the Mustang as one of their breed, I am not sure they will be any helpful if I saunter over to them with the TSB 13-6-15. Also, I have a skilled 'Stang mechanic that'll probably make a much better job.

Question is - looking at the TSB "Figure 1 - Article 13-6-15" it seems that both a blue and an orange O-ring/gasket are added to the CKP, but the Part no. mentioned is only for the O-ring. So what do I need to order? Only the FOPZ-9229-A?

Thanks in advance!

//Swede
I'm not sure but you could call a dealer here in the states and talk to them.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Given that the part is very inexpensive,I would suggest getting a new sensor along with the O ring. if you do that you eliminate another potential source of issues for a low cost.

-Pete

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel