The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The copper colored rod is a magnet that picks up the signal, all of the crank sensors have the orange grommet, the latest crank sensors come with an o ring added, mine was black, not blue. Installation takes 2 minutes with a 8mm socket with a long extension, location is on top of the bellhousing on the passenger side.

After the install you will have to have the neutral correction relearn procedure done at Ford. They have the special IDS/OBD tool with the proper software to perform this. Basically runs the engine at specific RPM for time period to relearn where top dead center of #1 cylinder is for accurate spark and fuel timing. As far as I know no other shops have the equipment and software to do this.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
There's a procedure called the "neutral profile relearn" that needs to be performed by the dealer. I believe it resets the "0" position?

The "Neutral Profile" procedure actually sets the engine's memory to what amount of signal in the knock detection sensors is "normal" or "baseline". Based on this procedure the computer can then determine what is an "abnormal" or "harmful" amount of knock or misfire. Essentially sets a noise gate limit from the knock sensors to the PCM, as I understand it.

I've been having the affects of the TSB since I bought my Boss although mine has never thrown a CEL. Took it to the dealer they did a crank re-learn. Still did it. Took it back and told them I thought this is what it could be and they were very helpful and went a head and did the TSB procedure for me, all seemed "better" it cleared up most of the bucking for about a week or so now it's back and I'm all out of ideas. I have never had any CEL's so I have no way of proving anything to the dealer. The only other thing my car does is it acts like it goes into high idle by itself at low rpm light loads in 1-2 gear (think creeping through a neighborhood or parking lot) even though it's at full temp, once you let off the throttle, then if you give it a little gas after letting off the car will accelerate (full throttle like) and let off three or four times rapidly but if you lift again it will clear up and not do it again. Could this be tied in with my TSB like problems? Throttle body maybe?

Got my first CEL and Limp mode coming home from work 2 days ago. It was short and kinda scared me as I hadn't read any threads about it yet. I had my code reader with me and shoved it in and didn't bring any codes, I will have to go in the garage and check again. It went away and didn't return the rest of the ride home.
EDIT: Codes were P0300, P0301, P0303, P0308 1, 3, 8 Misfire's, Hasn't happened again...Yet...:p If it does I'll force her to relearn zero..

Interestingly though, this hasn't happened to me ever, and this was the first day after I had the track key programmed. Part of the procedure at the end of the directions of the track key install was to do the neutral relearn, which I helped do by pressing the throttle while my friend (Ford Tech) was on the computer following directions.

If it happens again, I'll have him stop over and do the relearn. I did txt him right after it happened and he txt'd back it was a Misfire and said to keep an eye on it in case it does it again.

Also Justin's theory is interesting, my Oil Separator will be here this week and that should prevent most of the oil from hitting the manifold, so that may help.

Chris

kody said:
I've been having the affects of the TSB since I bought my Boss although mine has never thrown a CEL. Took it to the dealer they did a crank re-learn. Still did it. Took it back and told them I thought this is what it could be and they were very helpful and went a head and did the TSB procedure for me, all seemed "better" it cleared up most of the bucking for about a week or so now it's back and I'm all out of ideas. I have never had any CEL's so I have no way of proving anything to the dealer. The only other thing my car does is it acts like it goes into high idle by itself at low rpm light loads in 1-2 gear (think creeping through a neighborhood or parking lot) even though it's at full temp, once you let off the throttle, then if you give it a little gas after letting off the car will accelerate (full throttle like) and let off three or four times rapidly but if you lift again it will clear up and not do it again. Could this be tied in with my TSB like problems? Throttle body maybe?
If you haven't do so already I'd reset your PCM by disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes. When you restart it you're supposed to let it idle for a few minutes, I forget the exact amount of time but let it come up to operating temperature, and then go drive it. If you're not throwing CEL's or going into limp mode I suspect something else is not working properly.

kody said:

This is a new I haven't heard of before but it sounds like you have a potentially serious safety issue. It doesn't sound like it's similar to the random misfire or crank position sensor problem. Have you been able to recreate it with a service tech in the car? If not, I'd ask them to keep the car for a few days and drive it as much as they can until they can experience it first hand. It'd only be speclation but as you thought, it could be related to a throttle body sensor or relay...maybe sticking open or something.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
kody said:

You might want to replace the Throttle Position Sensor just for good measure. $70ish for the part.

Noellenchris said:
Got my first CEL and Limp mode coming home from work 2 days ago. It was short and kinda scared me as I hadn't read any threads about it yet. I had my code reader with me and shoved it in and didn't bring any codes, I will have to go in the garage and check again. It went away and didn't return the rest of the ride home.
EDIT: Codes were P0300, P0301, P0303, P0308 1, 3, 8 Misfire's, Hasn't happened again...Yet...:p If it does I'll force her to relearn zero..

Interestingly though, this hasn't happened to me ever, and this was the first day after I had the track key programmed. Part of the procedure at the end of the directions of the track key install was to do the neutral relearn, which I helped do by pressing the throttle while my friend (Ford Tech) was on the computer following directions.

If it happens again, I'll have him stop over and do the relearn. I did txt him right after it happened and he txt'd back it was a Misfire and said to keep an eye on it in case it does it again.

Also Justin's theory is interesting, my Oil Separator will be here this week and that should prevent most of the oil from hitting the manifold, so that may help.

Chris

Just an update, I've only had this happen 2x so far and both times it was at the same time my Track Key Idle was ready and I was accelerating in 3rd to merge onto a highway. It wasn't hard, just steady 2-4k rpm in 3rd. Since then if I warm up the car and track idle comes on and I drive, I can't reproduce it. Once the track key idle is ready I can drive like a wild man and no issues. So I haven't had my buddy stop over to relearn misfire or anything else. If I can reproduce it a few more times I will do the relearn in the spring.

Noellenchris said:
Just an update, I've only had this happen 2x so far and both times it was at the same time my Track Key Idle was ready and I was accelerating in 3rd to merge onto a highway. It wasn't hard, just steady 2-4k rpm in 3rd. Since then if I warm up the car and track idle comes on and I drive, I can't reproduce it. Once the track key idle is ready I can drive like a wild man and no issues. So I haven't had my buddy stop over to relearn misfire or anything else. If I can reproduce it a few more times I will do the relearn in the spring.
You need to install the O-ring on the crankshaft position sensor before you do the relearn or it will just keep coming back.

Ah, I will pick up an O-Ring and put that in. Thanks!

Chris

Edit: Do I use just a OEM O-Ring? Is there an upgraded one? I think I remember reading something about the 302R using something similar but can't find or remember the details. Thanks

Noellenchris said:
Ah, I will pick up an O-Ring and put that in. Thanks!

Chris

Edit: Do I use just a OEM O-Ring? Is there an upgraded one? I think I remember reading something about the 302R using something similar but can't find or remember the details. Thanks

Chris - here is the link to the TSB you should have the dealer perform. They will add the new (wider red) O-ring and perform the Neutral Profile Re-learn. I'd be very surprised if you have any misfire problems after this is done.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5800.msg88282#msg88282

I have a CEL up and on now.

1398307535.jpg

I went to TMS to ask Deysha to escalate this for me before I go to dealer #4. It is my hope that they will do the TSB.

I had P0305 come up on my tuner which read out camshaft position sensor (Bank 2). So I just got back from dataloging for my tuner who asked me to do it and I just got P0345 camshaft position sensor A (Bank 2). I order 2 new CSP's from Ford today so this weekend I will be replacing them.

If I am looking at this correctly there is 1 bolt in the back holding the CSP on there so all I would have to do is unblot the one bolt, disconnect the wiring and pull the old ones out and to re install I would lubricate the O-ring, slide the new CSP in bolt it back up and then re connect the wiring.

Is that correct?

Exactly 2400 km (1500 mi) on the 2013 Boss and my check engine flashes :mad: then comes on steady for the first time. Ambient temp 30 degrees C. SCT Tuner shows the P0300 code. No performance issues other than slight rough idle when cold starting, did not go into limp mode. Thought it might be bad gas, so let it cool down for a couple of hours then cleared code. Filled up with fresh gas added some injector cleaner and drove it like I stole it for 2 hours (my wife was reaching for an imaginary chicken handle). Could not make light come on. Put car to bed for the night, took it out the next morning. After letting her warm up (the car, not the wife), cruise along between 4th and 5th and bingo - within 10 minutes light flashes then comes back on. SCT Tuner now shows P0304. Book appointment, and read this forum. Found TSBs 13-01-11 & 13-06-15 (thanks for having these posted) which I print and take with me to dealership. Car rolls right in, and tech finds TSB 13-06-15 is part one of a two part diagnosis, the second is a bad # 4 spark plug. Repaired under warranty, and had the Track Key software installed as well as a Ford Racing (Barton) short throw shifter.
All seems well, no lights coming home, will update if another code is thrown in the next few days while I'm testing out the Track Key.
Thanks to all on this forum for posting issues and updates. Sure makes it easy going in for service and being able to speak to them on their own terms and let them know you have an info source. As a matter of fact, they were impressed with the info I told them I got from this site! :)

GTW said:
Exactly 2400 km (1500 mi) on the 2013 Boss and my check engine flashes :mad: then comes on steady for the first time. Ambient temp 30 degrees C. SCT Tuner shows the P0300 code. No performance issues other than slight rough idle when cold starting, did not go into limp mode. Thought it might be bad gas, so let it cool down for a couple of hours then cleared code. Filled up with fresh gas added some injector cleaner and drove it like I stole it for 2 hours (my wife was reaching for an imaginary chicken handle). Could not make light come on. Put car to bed for the night, took it out the next morning. After letting her warm up (the car, not the wife), cruise along between 4th and 5th and bingo - within 10 minutes light flashes then comes back on. SCT Tuner now shows P0304. Book appointment, and read this forum. Found TSBs 13-01-11 & 13-06-15 (thanks for having these posted) which I print and take with me to dealership. Car rolls right in, and tech finds TSB 13-06-15 is part one of a two part diagnosis, the second is a bad # 4 spark plug. Repaired under warranty, and had the Track Key software installed as well as a Ford Racing (Barton) short throw shifter.
All seems well, no lights coming home, will update if another code is thrown in the next few days while I'm testing out the Track Key.
Thanks to all on this forum for posting issues and updates. Sure makes it easy going in for service and being able to speak to them on their own terms and let them know you have an info source. As a matter of fact, they were impressed with the info I told them I got from this site! :)
Welcome to BMO and good luck with your repair.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
My car threw two misfire codes about two years ago while I was on the Nurburgring…hasn't happened to me since and I have had about 20 track days since then. I don't like taking the car to the dealership for anything because I have to explain to some 25 year old kid on how to fix the car and his demeanor doesn't instill any confidence. When I took it in to have the axle seals replaced he told me the rear diff looked funny and I had to explain it was because it was a torsion differential and not a LS like the GT's. He had no idea what I was talking about so I had to tell him what fluid to put in the diff when he was done. That being said you can see why I don't have much confidence in the dealership. Should I take the car in to get the TSB's done? Is this covered under the 5 year power train warranty or the 3 year bumper to bumper? Thanks again guys

Adam

I have 13K miles on my 2012 Boss. I probably run 6-7 track days a season. After getting clutch replaced under warranty, while driving home about 1 hr, with regular key, I got on it in 4th gear while transitioning from 580 W to 13. CEL came on flashing for about 5 secs and then turned off. This had never happened before. On previous track days with track key and restrictors out, CEL always came on, but was steady. Stayed on with regular key on the way home. It stayed on until I started the car the next day. Took car to dealer and they said must be combo of track key and restrictors out and not to worry. I took Boss to Sonoma for track day on 9/20/14 to test new clutch which worked fine. No problems or CEL first 2 sessions with track key, restrictors removed for 2nd session. CEL comes on during 3rd session and was steady. Toward end of session, CEL started blinking and cut power. I pulled to side and gave signal to go into pits (1/2 mile away) and CEL stopped blinking and full power was available. Next session, I put restrictors back in and CEL remained on steady, but no blinking and no cut in power. Final session, about 1/2 way through-- CEL began blinking and power was cut. I slowed down and waited for light to return solid which it did after a few turns and power came back on. Has this happened to anyone else?? I am definitely taking car back to dealer. Are TSBs 13-01-11 and 13-06-15 a fix for this problem???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BossStan said:
I have 13K miles on my 2012 Boss. I probably run 6-7 track days a season. After getting clutch replaced under warranty, while driving home about 1 hr, with regular key, I got on it in 4th gear while transitioning from 580 W to 13. CEL came on flashing for about 5 secs and then turned off. This had never happened before. On previous track days with track key and restrictors out, CEL always came on, but was steady. Stayed on with regular key on the way home. It stayed on until I started the car the next day. Took car to dealer and they said must be combo of track key and restrictors out and not to worry. I took Boss to Sonoma for track day on 9/20/14 to test new clutch which worked fine. No problems or CEL first 2 sessions with track key, restrictors removed for 2nd session. CEL comes on during 3rd session and was steady. Toward end of session, CEL started blinking and cut power. I pulled to side and gave signal to go into pits (1/2 mile away) and CEL stopped blinking and full power was available. Next session, I put restrictors back in and CEL remained on steady, but no blinking and no cut in power. Final session, about 1/2 way through-- CEL began blinking and power was cut. I slowed down and waited for light to return solid which it did after a few turns and power came back on. Has this happened to anyone else?? I am definitely taking car back to dealer. Are TSBs 13-01-11 and 13-06-15 a fix for this problem???

Make sure they perform a "Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Relearn" on the car. If the clutch has to come off the engine again, install the Ford Racing Cobra Jet Pulse Ring. Also check the Crank Position Sensor O-Ring TSB (search here).

I got a CEL the other morning and car starting missing terribly. Drove it directly to the dealer and was a P0306 code. The performed the PCM flash, and had me on my way. If it occurs again, they will perform the o-ring TSB. I can't say that I was overly happy 2.5 weeks into ownership and the car misfiring!

TMO Supporting Vendors