P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by zzyzx, Jul 25, 2012.

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

1. Crankshaft Sensor Relearn was performed

25.9%
  2. PCM Software Upgrade performed

14.8%
  3. Crankshaft Sensor replaced

7.4%
  4. Cam Sensor(s) replaced

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Wiring Harness replaced

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Multiple actions taken (add as a reply to this thread)

18.5%
  7. My issue is still pending (add actions taken below as a reply)

33.3%
  1. Keith T

Keith T TMO Intermediate

Hello all,
    Last night I did a track night and experienced a misfire code.

A little background....... My CEL light stays on because I do not have the cats on (codes P0420 and P0430). I just leave it on no big deal. what concerns me is when I am really pushing the car hard it starts running rough and the CEL begins flashing. I noticed then then Bank 1 was running lean (20:1 or around there) while Bank 2 was normal (14:1).

In between sessions I looked quickly at the codes and saw a misfire code. I was in a hurry to get back out there so I quickly cleared them and went and added 5 gallons of 100 octane fuel thinking it could have been poor fuel.

Next run had it again. It sounds terrible and runs rough and then would straighten up. When I got home I read the codes again and there was not any misfire codes..... ? just the usual Catalyst codes.

I have read about the O ring fix and crankshaft sensor relearn. Is the poor rough running associated with this problem? Or am I perhaps dealing with something different? I was running the track key.

Thank you, Keith

2. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

O-ring and relearn are cheap and easy fixes. Start there. Also look for build up in the sensor when you pull it for the o-ring.
    Do you have a tune??

3. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Crank position error shouldn't cause a lean condition. You may need to replace the front O2 sensor on the lean bank.

4. Keith T

Keith T TMO Intermediate

I did have a custom tune but just recently went back to the stock tune/track key tune.

Is the crankshaft position sensor something I can do myself? I thought there was some sort of dealer reflash needed? Thanks!

5. Keith T

Keith T TMO Intermediate

Ok, any test to run on the sensor? Or just replace it?

It may be possible that it was damaged when it was in the shop recently for the clutch and shifter.....

6. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

I'm not sure of an official test for the O2 sensors--but theoretically you could swap them (left-to-right) and see if the code re-occurs and if the Lean bank is on the same side as before or not. If it's on the same side as before, the sensor is OK. If the lean bank follows the swapped O2 sensor, the sensor may be the culprit.

7. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Gotta go Faster

Seems O2 sensores need to be replaced quite often. I have gone through 2 in 50.000km. Maybe LT headers are a reason? Not having them working well leads to scary outcomes....

Every time I remove a tranny for any reason (more often then I ever imagined!) I do a crank relearn with a sct X4.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk