The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

Boss949 said:
Yes, did that on purpose yesterday, about a 50 mile round trip at mostly 60-75 mph.

So far, so good. I will let you know.

Thanks for input, etc.

Don't vary the speed that much... RPM's need to stay between 4,000 & 4,100... MPH needs to stay between 60-65...

And while I could cruise along just fine under these conditions, 90% of the time the CEL would start flashing if I went up a slight incline and had to give it more gas to keep the speed constant... Otherwise, just cruising down the highway never seemed to be a problem...

zzyzx said:
UPDATE:

So, I spent quite a lot of time today cruising @ 4k RPM and no CEL. That's great news!

07SGT0547:

Good news that the CELs have stopped!

07SGT0547 said:
And if I follow ZZYZX's resolution checklist, the only item that would be different for me is #3, since I just had a NEW Long Block installed and would assume that it already comes with a NEW Crank Sensor... Otherwise, I am like him in that "the problem has gone away without a clear definite solution"...

Well, let's think about this... The crank sensor is in the bell housing and connects directly to the PCM. I honestly wouldn't think that an engine swap would even require you to disconnect the crank sensor, and certainly wouldn't think that the crank sensor would need to be replaced with the engine (or that would be a standard procedure).

However, a record of this WILL be in the tech logs with the dealer. It would be great to know what they did - if anything - with the crank sensor and/or its connector.

In your case, I honestly think its possible the only person that disconnected/re-connected the crank sensor is you...

Using the logic that the Crank Sensor wouldn't have actually been replaced... And to be quite honest, I was assuming it was attached to back of the block, not to the bellhousing itself... Kind of hard to see back there, especially when I'm not really sure what I was looking for in the first place... Then it would make sense that during the removal and replacement of the engine, this particular connection would have been left in place, since they didn't need to remove the transmission during the swap...

However, with the wiring harness stretched & moved out of the way, there is a high possibility that this connection was pulled just enough to make an intermittent connection... And one that the Engine Tech wouldn't have thought to reset, since he didn't unplug it to begin with... So by me resetting all these connections again, I might just have stumbled across the offending one(s) by accident...

I will say that I did find a few places where the wiring harness wasn't completely reconnected physically to the original attachment points... Or where some of the OEM electrical tape hadn't quite been replaced as nicely as I would have hoped... But those were some of the small items that I was expecting to deal with anyhow...

Just hope that I'm done troubleshooting this and can get back to enjoying the car again ::)

Thanks for all the great info. My CEL came on Thursday, P0300. Will do checklist and take to daler on Tue AM.

Back from the track yesterday, where I suffered the same CEL (constant from first session) and intermittent limp mode as I did the last time I went to the track. Last time, I took the car to the dealer and told them I had a CEL (without elaboration). They told me they investigated it and even called Ford, but nobody could figure out why I was getting it when the car was running perfectly. They cleared it and said bring it in when I get another one. I have not had one in months of daily driving, but did get one yesterday. I do not know what code(s) I am getting - what code reader are you guys using? Anyway, I will obviously take it to the dealer this week and report back.

However, I did a little bit of research on my own. First of all, a few data points:
- This is SlowKey™ only.
- Completely stock car.
- In the sessions where I suffered CEL and limp modes, I did not exceed 7243 revs.

Now, the potentially interesting part. I checked my data acquisition and look what I found - I went into limp mode after a gear change.

limpmode.jpg

Yellow - Gear (I was changing from 3rd to 4th)
Orange - Throttle
Green - RPM

So, you see me lift and the revs start to drop. I make the gear change, get back on the throttle and...nothing. The revs stay at 4000 rpm. You can see me working the throttle up and down to no avail. I can certainly believe in coincidence, but the car goes into limp mode the instant 4th is engaged.

What do you guys think?

Jimmy

Not sure Jimmy. There's something going on here but Ford just doesn't seem to be able to figure it out, or they're just blowing it off. I'm just not sure what to think anymore. I had CELs on most of my track sessions Friday and the "Check Charging System" warning along with the red battery light, but I never went into limp mode and I always had 13.5-14.5 volts on the battery. I've just learned to live with it and ignore all the warnings. About the only warning I'm even concerned about anymore would be smoke and flames pouring from my engine bay, otherwise I'm just full speed ahead.

A lot of us are using an Aeroforce gauge mounted in the A/C pod to the left of the steering wheel. You can watch coolant temp, head temp and with an additional sender, oil temp. You can also see battery voltage along with other things like IAT, RPM, etc. You can set the annunciator to flash red lights at you when you exceed a certain parameter. e.g. I have mine set to flash when coolant exceeds 245*. You can also read and clear DTCs. This takes the guesswork out of all the annoying CELs.

zzyzx

Steve

[quote author=Jimmy Pribble]I do not know what code(s) I am getting - what code reader are you guys using? Anyway, I will obviously take it to the dealer this week and report back.[/quote]

Buy a cheap one. I didn't and I regret it. I believe the best alternative is to use a smartphone based ODB-II logger - then you can actually log your track sessions and all the data in the system. Having both is ideal, IMO.

Here's a relevant thread:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/bluetooth-smartphone-gauges/

[quote author=Jimmy Pribble]
So, you see me lift and the revs start to drop. I make the gear change, get back on the throttle and...nothing. The revs stay at 4000 rpm. You can see me working the throttle up and down to no avail. I can certainly believe in coincidence, but the car goes into limp mode the instant 4th is engaged.
[/quote]

I don't know if there's a correlation, but I think the best thing to do is the 4000 RPM "test" outlined earlier in this thread. See if you can reproduce the issue. If so, you're good to go because you can tell the dealer exactly how to reproduce the issue - and show them yourself.

If you can't then like I noted above, a smartphone based ODB-II logger will go a long way in getting the hard data that will be needed to find out the conditions under which it happens.

Stop by an auto parts store and ask them to read the codes, most will do it free. Just make sure they don't clear the codes.

I second the cheap one suggestion, I have an expensive one because I needed one that car read codes on a boat which runs a little different from cars. I have seen no real benefit over the cheap ones I used before on a car.

Mine was just diagnosed as a bad Crank Shaft Sensor (mounted under the Harmonic Balance) It had too much play in it. The Sensor is defective and Ford replacing.

Throwing the P0300 codes.

Ford Tech Line is also having the dealership perform the "Crank Sensor Relearn" on the TracKey in a different way (must be something new??)

Hope this helps somebody.
ps. When the CEL came on, I didn't suffer any power shutdown or any physical sign of problem, like some have.

Boss949 said:
Mine was just diagnosed as a bad Crank Shaft Sensor (mounted under the Harmonic Balance) It had too much play in it. The Sensor is defective and Ford replacing.

Ford Tech Line is also having the dealership perform the "Crank Sensor Relearn" on the TracKey in a different way (must be something new??)

ps. When the CEL came on, I didn't suffer any power shutdown or any physical sign of problem, like some have.

Not trying to stir the pot ??? But according to ZZYZX's earlier post:

FYI - The crank sensor and tone ring are attached the to flywheel on the back of the engine, not the front.

EDIT ~ The "something new" with the TK install might be that FR wants the Eng Tech to rev the engine up to 6,000 PRM instead of the 4,350 (IIRC) that is listed in the computerized instructions... At least that is what mine was told and did when my replacement engine was throwing a CEL for a MisFire every 5-10 miles going down the road...

07SGT0547 said:
Boss949 said:

FYI - The crank sensor and tone ring are attached the to flywheel on the back of the engine, not the front.

EDIT ~ The "something new" with the TK install might be that FR wants the Eng Tech to rev the engine up to 6,000 PRM instead of the 4,350 (IIRC) that is listed in the computerized instructions... At least that is what mine was told and did when my replacement engine was throwing a CEL for a MisFire every 5-10 miles going down the road...

Since 1 Dealership says it's under the Harmonic Balance and the other on the Flywheel, then the obvious problem is the Chinese Tranny!!!

Boss949 said:
07SGT0547 said:
Boss949 said:

Since 1 Dealership says it's under the Harmonic Balance and the other on the Flywheel, then the obvious problem is the Chinese Tranny!!!

Then the "fix" is to get an MGW Shifter ordered & installed ASAP!!!

I just heard from the dealer. Grapevine Ford; they have just installed the crank sensor and will do the crank shaft relearn in the morning.

Chuck Peretti, the service writer, just sent me a pic of my Boss. He's parking it inside the service area overnight out of the elements, etc. I really appreciate that.

If you live in North Texas area and are looking for a real service pro, he's the guy.

zzyzx

Steve

So, that's two confirmed 2013s that have had their crank sensors replaced due to CEL / misfire issues.

07SGT0547 said:
Boss949 said:

You are correct on the 6000 RPM. I just heard that my car is ready and I was advised of the new rpm level at relearn.

I'll pick it up soon and we will see what happens.

Threw similar codes this Mon/Tues at VIR. It's at the dealer now. I thought I smelled coolant at the end of a session and my level was a tad low. I'm getting an Ultra Guage so I'll be able to monitor parameters. Part of the deal if you're revving 5-7 K on a hot track.

Update:

Ok, so it checked out with a clean bill of health and a big negatory on the diagnostics. Basically, nothing is wrong with it. So, I was given the following instructions per dealer per Ford Racing:

On the track, use Track Key, ignore all "Random Misfire" codes and clear them.

Do not drive with Track Key on the road.

Use the Black key on the road and bring it in, if I throw a code on the road.

I am going to get a reader, and monitor oil/cooler temps better. I feel a ton better, and will continue to drive the heck out of it on track.

zzyzx

Steve

What exact codes did you get?

You might want to try the 4000 RPM test outlined in this thread to see if it causes a CEL.

That said it's hard to ignore CELs on the track if they result in limp mode like they have for a number of people that have posted here.

I tried the 4k in 4th a couple or days ago and it did not generate a CEL.

Took the Boss to the dealer today for the Lopey idle not working like it should (drive down the road a bit and it does not work when come to a stop). They asked me to give them some time to research, I am their first customer to have issues with Trackey, and call them next week.

On my way home (red key in) I got the flashing light at around 4k in 3rd, backed off throttle then to upto 4k again... flashed. Not wanting to agrivate the issue I pulled over, switched keys, then up the on ramp to merge into traffic. During hard acceleration the CEL flashed, cut fuel, then I swear I saw the traction control light flash. Took next exit (very close where I entered) with CEL steady lit drove easy and made my way home.

Code reader on order.

I really hope to get this issue resolved soon.

I'm sure you've read my post on my fix. My CEL light came on in a similar fashion as yours.

I'd bet it's more than just the dealer interpreting Codes; Have them check the actual connection for the Crank Shaft Sensor; if there is any play in it, then hard acceleration and other vibrations could certainly cause it to throw codes, which, in turn causes the CEL to flash or stay on.

I noticed that after the Sensor was replaced AND the new technique for the Crank Shaft Sensor relearn for the proper TracKey install (6000RPM on last step vs 4300 RPM in dealer instructions), I finally had a proper Lopey Idle.

Hope this might help you.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel