The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P0442 causing CEL, is it dirty EGR or what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So Boss

Boss at Vancouver (now Finland)
Hello,
Boss is running fine but got this annoying yellow Check Engine Light into dash.
-read OBD and got P0442

Boss moved with me from Canada to Finland. But unfortunately our local Ford doesn't know anything about these beasts. I'm pretty much on my own.
-any suggestions how to fix problem?

Your help is highly appreciated
Arto

@ArizonaBOSS

You might want to look into upgrading the wiring harness connectors to the 2013 versions and see if that helps.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
VooDooBOSS said:
@ArizonaBOSS

You might want to look into upgrading the wiring harness connectors to the 2013 versions and see if that helps.

Unfortunately nothing to do with that. Looks like EVAP stuff.

This one should be warranty-able if there are any dealers there.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cU2yJ66.png

They don't have a printout of "pinpoint text HX" online that I can find--but take that to your dealer and see if they can figure this out. It's probably a cracked hose in the engine bay from the evap system (the hose that is clipped next to the fuel line going to the injector rails)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Good advice from Drew, as our Boss 302's are not equipped with an EGR, (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), Valve.

Good luck with your repairs and also check the EVAP lines at the tank area and along side the rails leading up to the engine compartment.

302 HP

So Boss

No EGR.... no wonder I didn't recognised anything like it when looking engine and reading OBD with local Ford dealer.
-they sure focus only on European Fords and our V8's are unknown beasts.

I just spent afternoon looking those pipes like you gents advised me. Didn't found leak yet. I will continue when I get car on hoist.
-any other good ideas where to look more?

Art

So Boss

Hi, just want to close this problem solving - with solution.

P0442 issue was due two reasons:
-I had additional cap (with lock) on fuel filler pipe. When it was removed the CEL light didn't come back - until now.
-Now we found a little bit cracked "Evaporative Emission Fuel Hose" behind driver side rear wheel. It seems that the hose has been too close to exhaust pipe where it humps over rear axle. Hose has been too hot and became brittle, eventually cracked.

I was using a Smoke Leakage Tester, which took a while to push smoke through micro crack in the hose.

Solution: on my next week visit to Los Angeles I will go buy a new Hose 9E325.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel