The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P0611

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was at the track today and on my first lap the car fell on its face more than I've ever experienced. I got a wrench light versus a CEL and barely limped into the pits. The scanner said P0611 which looks like a Fuel Injector Control Module when I did a search. I called my mechanic at the dealership and he said it wasn't even a valid code for a Ford. I shut it down in the hot pits, restarted it and it went away. He thought maybe a dirty MAF or possibly a bug slipped through the filter and hit the MAF to cause it. I didn't pull the MAF yet since I went and ran 3 sessions with no issues and didn't want to mess with it if it wasn't acting up. Has anyone ever seen this?? Hopefully it was truly just a "bug".

I have not seen that code posted before but I'm glad you posted that message from the track and not from home. Hopefully it was an anomaly in the Matrix and you won't see it again.

Tulsa, OK
Haven't seen that code before but I have had my car go into limp mode with the wrench light during e85 data logging. It's a weird feeling for sure. Hopefully it was just a glitch.

drano38

Wayne
Gary,
Hope you're able to keep running this weekend--you're well past due for a productive track trip.

P0611 is a valid code & you are correct it is the injector control module
see this link http://www.fordracingparts.com/Download/BOSS302SPDFs/2012_BOSS302S_OBDII_codes.pdf

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
Gary:

Seen this code with diesels....which ended up being the FICM......this is what I've found searching the net on the subject:

P0611 FORD - Fuel Injector Control Module Performance

Possible causes

- Faulty Fuel Injector Control Module
- Fuel Injector Control Module harness is open or shorted
- Fuel Injector Control Module circuit poor electrical connection
Help with this

Tech notes

The code it's very common, and usually the problem is the Fuel Injection Control Module

Wayne

Senderofan said:
Gary:

Seen this code with diesels....which ended up being the FICM......this is what I've found searching the net on the subject:

P0611 FORD - Fuel Injector Control Module Performance

Possible causes

- Faulty Fuel Injector Control Module
- Fuel Injector Control Module harness is open or shorted
- Fuel Injector Control Module circuit poor electrical connection
Help with this

Tech notes

The code it's very common, and usually the problem is the Fuel Injection Control Module

Wayne
Thanks for the info Wayne. So far so good with five sessions today and no issues. Hopefully it was just an anomaly.

I have seen two P061M 's and one P061C on different days. Same thing as you wrench light and the car has no power. It will stay running but not well and not like limp mode as there is no power. The P061C says the PCM is out of date, that is what my tech told me, the two P061M 's I can not find anywhere.

Believe it or not I think it has something to do with some kind of lateral forces. It always happens on high G turns like Big Bend at Sebring. Then again I could be way off base here ???

YellowBoss said:
I have seen two P061M 's and one P061C on different days. Same thing as you wrench light and the car has no power. It will stay running but not well and not like limp mode as there is no power. The P061C says the PCM is out of date, that is what my tech told me, the two P061M 's I can not find anywhere.

Believe it or not I think it has something to do with some kind of lateral forces. It always happens on high G turns like Big Bend at Sebring. Then again I could be way off base here ???
This happened on a warmup lap running 4 tenths.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
YellowBoss said:

It would be interesting to know if there is data logging of fuel pressure around the time of these incidents? If you think lateral forces are causing the problem. Perhaps the fuel system is maxed out between the G's and the workload on the engine? It wouldn't explain Gary's occurrences.....but maybe this has uncovered a weakness in the fuel system? The CP 4 in the new Scorpion 6.7 liter PowerStroke is easily overwhelmed by a tune and working it hard....basically it's designed to handle normal service life and not a whole lot more...as evidenced by significant decreases in fuel rail pressure.

Wayne

Senderofan said:
It would be interesting to know if there is data logging of fuel pressure around the time of these incidents? If you think lateral forces are causing the problem. Perhaps the fuel system is maxed out between the G's and the workload on the engine? It wouldn't explain Gary's occurrences.....but maybe this has uncovered a weakness in the fuel system? The CP 4 in the new Scorpion 6.7 liter PowerStroke is easily overwhelmed by a tune and working it hard....basically it's designed to handle normal service life and not a whole lot more...as evidenced by significant decreases in fuel rail pressure.

Wayne

I will ask my tech to take a look if it goes off again. I'm not sure what he pulled up last time, he looked at something after the P061C.

Just driving down the highway I got the P0611 again along with a wrench light and a few other assorted flashing warnings. I had to pull off on the shoulder and restart the car. It went away again but Ieft the code resident to show the dealer tomorrow.

cloud9 said:
Just driving down the highway I got the P0611 again along with a wrench light and a few other assorted flashing warnings. I had to pull off on the shoulder and restart the car. It went away again but Ieft the code resident to show the dealer tomorrow.

That is amazing how many of these codes you keep getting and how many wire harnesses you have replaced. That would be very frustrating, especially thinking you need to once again take time out of your day to stop at the dealer.

LS110 said:
That is amazing how many of these codes you keep getting and how many wire harnesses you have replaced. That would be very frustrating, especially thinking you need to once again take time out of your day to stop at the dealer.
Yea it is getting old....and this one's a bit dangerous. I was driving down the interstate today and it happened again. You lose virtually all power....much more severe than the flashing CEL limp mode. The wrench light was flashing and I had almost no power so I pulled onto the shoulder. I restarted the car and checked for codes....sure enough P0611 again. It ran fine the rest of the day and when I got home I checked for codes again to see if I got any more. Unfortunately it CLEARED ITSELF! I was going to leave it this time so I could show the dealer, but it's gone. I'll call them in the morning, but this one's going to be a challenge as it's intermittent and not leaving the code resident. Maybe they'll be able to see it on their scan tool, but just like the old P0300s, if I couldn't read it, neither could they.

Dealer can't replicate but did find a P0316 misfire on startup. This ties into the rough run on starts I have been experiencing. Looking at some threads on Super Duty sites the P0611 fuel injector control module exhibits rough starts when it's failing. The two sure seem to be connected to me. We are going to hook up a logger today and see if we can capture the code next time it happens.

Just an update on this. There is no update. I've had the datalogger plugged in for a week now and of course it hasn't happened again. I still get a little run on start occasionally but no rough idle or anything. I'll probably leave it in for another day but I'm getting tired of trying to avoid kicking the plug in OBDII and leaving the wand in the cupholder. I did pull the MAF sensor a week ago Sunday night and blow in it just in case there was some debris but that's it. I doubt that could have made the difference but at this point who knows. Hopefully it's not coming back, but somehow I have a feeling it will. I just hope it's not during a track event.

TMO Supporting Vendors