The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P260F Evaporative System Monitoring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Hi,
Got this code starting up in cold today. Whats best way to handle or possible explanation. Given the recent LT install i guess i was waiting for this.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Get the car up on a lift and check if something melted from the evap system forward to the engine bay. The evap stuff is mounted under the spare tire well. There are hoses and wiring. With all that piping you have maybe something got burned. Also check for kinked hoses, did you just get gas? If they overfill raw fuel can get into the canister and cause error codes.
Steve

Sesshomurai

Thank you Steve. I did just fill up and i was feeling around under the spare tire well under the car for anything loose while investigating minor NVH. Perhaps i jostled something. If i dont find anything unusual is it advisable to clear the code and drive it. To see if it persists or was an anomoly?

Sesshomurai

JScheier said:
EVAP code should clear after x cycles of no issues found at startup. How cold was it at startup?

I hadn't taken it out for a mild spin in a couple days but it's been cold and windy here today. Not sure if that contributes. I'll drive it and see but the code was also present in the permanent code section. That means it won't auto clear?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
darreng505 said:
I hadn't taken it out for a mild spin in a couple days but it's been cold and windy here today. Not sure if that contributes. I'll drive it and see but the code was also present in the permanent code section. That means it won't auto clear?

I've had that code once or twice when it was really cold and I hadn't gotten the car to storage yet (say, 28*). It usually cleared after 2-3 starts. I'm not sure what caused it, or causes it. Could be a sticking valve in the evap system (open or closed)... just seems to happen when it is REALLY cold.

Sesshomurai

I'm hoping that's what it was. I cleared the code and drove it normally around the block a bunch with some short WOT bursts. Seems fine for now.

Sesshomurai

An update: I cleared the CEL (week or so ago) and a day later it came on again. I left it on and drove it to the tune shop a few days later. It came on the morning I drove it to the shop.

But when I got there and the tech started it up, the CEL had been removed by the computer. So it hasn't returned. Go figure.

I had another thread about a vibration/rattling under heavy throttle coming from the rear compartment underneath. The exhaust is snug, but the metal tubing (fuel line?) coming out from the rear, kinda hangs down a bit and can be easily jiggled. Perhaps that tubing is jiggling against some metal (gas tank?) and also caused this P260F code to fire?

Does this sound like a possible theory? If so, is there an easy way to secure that tubing so it doesn't vibrate against the chassis or whatever, and not disrupt the sensor?

fuelline.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel