The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pagid Pad Update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Here's my inquiry into NorthStar Motorsports regarding Pagid pads for all 4 corners:

Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:56 AM
To: Peter Sygieda - Northstart Motorsports
Subject: Pagid pads for the Mustang

Peter,

I'm going to need pads very soon, could you please get an update from Andreas on the timing for the rear pads? Also, I think I need some additional bite on my fronts than the RS-29's are giving me. I suspect that the weight of the Mustang (3620 lbs) could use a more aggressive pad than my Audi did (3200 lbs and less HP/TQ). If you could check with them as see what thay suggest please ?

Thanks,
Pete DeSisto

And the reply:

----- Original Message -----
To: 'Pete DeSisto'
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:17 AM
Subject: RE: Pagid pads for the Mustang

Hello Peter,

Just got of the phone with Andreas and he informed me that the pads should be in FL sometime next week. As soon as they get there I will contact you and you can then tell me how many pads you will need. Just FYI the compound will be called RS56 and its very similar to RS44 (Orange) that we have currently for most pads. This will be a exclusive pad that is also used by NASCAR for the Boss.
As to the fronts Andreas suggest switching to RS14 which will give you about 10% more bite, or RS15 which is about 20-25% more bite then the RS29 you are using.

Hope this helps,

Peter

"Everyone behind me is an incredibly talented driver - Everyone in front of me is cheating" -Bill Haney

Peter S Sygieda
Sales Manager
Northstar Motorsports Inc.
28144 West industrial Ave
Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
800-356-2080
847-304-5615 fax
www.northstarmotorsports.com

Thanks for the update. How do the prices of Pagid compare to PFC-01/97?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
My RS-29's were $304 shipped from Northstar (fronts). Not sure what the PF's are since I never purchased them. Are these the ones that come with the Boss ? If so, the RS-29 Pagids have much more stopping power, I only ran on the stock pads for one event and was not impressed so I swapped out immediately. Even with the RS-29's I'm personally looking for a little more bite, hence the contents of my email to Northstar...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
There is no waiting for the fronts, only for the rears. IMHO, I'd wait for things like pads if it made sense, just like a lot of us are waiting/have waited for the MGW shifter ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PeteInCT said:
My RS-29's were $304 shipped from Northstar (fronts). Not sure what the PF's are since I never purchased them. Are these the ones that come with the Boss ? If so, the RS-29 Pagids have much more stopping power, I only ran on the stock pads for one event and was not impressed so I swapped out immediately. Even with the RS-29's I'm personally looking for a little more bite, hence the contents of my email to Northstar...

Sorry to drag this off topic--but to answer your questions--NO! These are not the ones that come on the boss, those are street pads and clearly not adequate for extended track use. I'm talking about a PF01 / PF97 combo which are the same compounds that a lot of the Grand Am teams run. You can get a full set (F/R) in boss fitments from topbrakes.com for $468 shipped to your door.

At any rate, I'm interested in learning about your experiences with the Pagids.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
ArizonaGT said:
Sorry to drag this off topic--but to answer your questions--NO! These are not the ones that come on the boss, those are street pads and clearly not adequate for extended track use. I'm talking about a PF01 / PF97 combo which are the same compounds that a lot of the Grand Am teams run. You can get a full set (F/R) in boss fitments from topbrakes.com for $468 shipped to your door.

At any rate, I'm interested in learning about your experiences with the Pagids.

Got it AZ, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense since the stock brake pads were not track worthy. Pagids do come at a premium; I'd guess they are one of the most expensive pads out there. My experiences with them has been nothing less than stellar, I will run with nothing else including not Carbotechs which are a pretty good pad. The compound I have now is RS-29, it is the same compound that Audi has used in their wins in the 24 Hr LeMans races for a number of years including their last win. I like them a lot because they don't need to heat up to begin to work well, last quite a while and are extremely easy on the rotors. I have run those pads down almost to the backing plate with 1/8" of pad left and they still stopped the car sufficiently (albeit at a diminished rate) and they did not fail at all, they did not break apart or ruin the rotors. I am looking to go to one of their more aggressive compounds since I’m looking for even more braking. My assumption is that their other pads will be a bit more aggressive with the rotors but not as bad as some other brands. Most of my buddies that run GT3's or GT3RS's and can afford any pad they wish use them. Pagid is much more found in pro race circuits than anywhere else, my assumption is because of the price and they do not make a ‘consumer’ street pad.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I just got a call from Peter @ Northstar, the Pagid rear pads are in FL from the Detroiy plant and will be available to ship Monday. The compound used will be called RS-55, very similar to their RS-44 (Orange) compound. I will be moving up to RS-14's on the front at the same time (from the RS-29's). No price on them until Monday but I assume similar price as the RS-55 give or take a bit.

Pagid Racing Compound Characteristics
http://www.braketechnology.com/racecharacteristics.html

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel