The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pagid Pads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
So I finally installed the Pagid pads Pete sent to me and WOW...what a night and day difference from the stock pads. I'll have them on the track this coming weekend for a full analysis. I will have to learn how to brake again because there is just so much more bite, you just have to touch the brakes now instead of pushing them. I will be able to carry more speed now with confidence that the car will actually stop. I also got the stoptech stainless lines from Pete for the front and rear and some DOT 5 fluid so no more worry about not being able to stop :)

On another note...with the stock pads the brakes developed a shudder...not sure if that means deposits on the rotors or warped rotors. I was told there is no such thing as warped rotors but not sure if the source is so reliable. Any further education on the this subject and how to correct the problem would be appreciated. If it's just deposits I imagine the Pagid Pads will clean the rotors right up.

Thanks again Pete for all the help and providing me with good brake advice and a great product.

Flyboygsxr said:
So I finally installed the Pagid pads Pete sent to me and WOW...what a night and day difference from the stock pads. I'll have them on the track this coming weekend for a full analysis. I will have to learn how to brake again because there is just so much more bite, you just have to touch the brakes now instead of pushing them. I will be able to carry more speed now with confidence that the car will actually stop. I also got the stoptech stainless lines from Pete for the front and rear and some DOT 5 fluid so no more worry about not being able to stop :)

On another note...with the stock pads the brakes developed a shudder...not sure if that means deposits on the rotors or warped rotors. I was told there is no such thing as warped rotors but not sure if the source is so reliable. Any further education on the this subject and how to correct the problem would be appreciated. If it's just deposits I imagine the Pagid Pads will clean the rotors right up.

Thanks again Pete for all the help and providing me with good brake advice and a great product.

Brake shudder is definitely deposits.
It happened to me on the track as well. You can either machine them, or ghetto clean them by braking as you're looking to do :)
I noticed especially that I have a lot of deposits on the rear rotors. I can visibly see lighter color (sort of beige) on them. Stoptech provides some notes on this topic:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/uneven-pad-deposit-removal

Insurme said:
Any squeaking with Pagid brakes?

I finally got around to having my DBA 4000 T3 front rotors, replacement OEM rear rotors, and RS-29/RS-56 pads installed 2 days ago. There is a big increase in stopping power, and while the pedal is not grabby, significantly less brake pedal force is necessary to stop the car in normal street driving. Heel/toe positioning is slightly different as well, due to the pedal not being depressed as fully under partial braking (nothing more practice won't cure). I am experiencing brake squeal/brake singing noises, but only at very low speeds and light pedal pressures, like when coming to a stop in traffic. I don't know if this will diminish, stay the same, or increase as the pads are broken in. I'm going to Roebling Road next weekend, and I expect they will be properly broken in after that!

Insurme said:
Any squeaking with Pagid brakes?
Im using the same pads with DBA 4000 T3 rotors front and rear. When new I got a little chirping from the pads but not near as much as my Hawks. I now have a few thousand miles and five track days and the pads don't make any more noise than stock. The main reason for buying the Pagid pads was their lack of squealing and good track performance. I'm very happy with this combo for track and street and I no longer need to swap back and fourth for track days.

Met Pete in CT last year at Watkins Glen and finally decided to take his advice and try some Pagid's to replace my quickly wearing Carbotech XP-10's. I change out my brakes [pads and rotors] before and after track events so I don't run these on the street. Based on that Pete recommended the RST-2. Ordered them on Friday, had them on Monday. Great service, great price, plus I know I can trust his advice since he's basically driving the same car as I am. Just an overall excellent experience dealing with Pete. Heading to Watkins Glen next Friday for a 3 day event. Will report back on how the RST-2's compared with my XP-10's.

So I replaced my PFC-08(F) and PFC-97(R) with Pagid RST-2(F) and RS-56(R) from Pete. Big difference between the PFC pads and the Pagid pads. A lot more stopping power. Looks like they might last a while too. See my post below......

Tonight, I replaced my Pagid pads and rotors with the stock pads and rotors for street use. Pads look good but they sure wore down a lot! No wonder they work so good. Front and rear rotors showed only minor wear compared to the pads., I used the pagid pads for 8 - 40 minute sessions and I would say that both front and rear pads are 1/2 to 2/3 worn down. It looks like I can probably get one more track day out of them. I guess I will have to budget another full set of brake pads as I do like how they worked.

Took my RST-2's along with some turned rotors to the Glen just a couple of days before you went down. Didn't end up using them as I was able to get days # 8,9&10 out of my Carbotechs. They are done now, but hung in there longer than I expected. I may not drive as hard as you do and I usually only drive 3 30 minutes session per day, but hope to get as much life out of them as the Carbotechs. Good to hear they work well for you. Just saw your video from this week on NYM site and it looks like you were really flying around that track. Hopefully those pads will do the same for me. ::)

06mach1 said:
So I replaced my PFC-08(F) and PFC-97(R) with Pagid RST-2(F) and RS-56(R) from Pete. Big difference between the PFC pads and the Pagid pads. A lot more stopping power. Looks like they might last a while too.

If I am reading correctly you are saying the Pagid pads have a lot more stopping power then the PFC's? I found just the opposite of this and so have many racers, at least ones I have talked to. I'm not saying the Pagid pads will not work for track days, I know they will as with other brands like Hawk. However since I have tried the PFC I have found nothing else that compares to them.

YellowBoss said:
If I am reading correctly you are saying the Pagid pads have a lot more stopping power then the PFC's? I found just the opposite of this and so have many racers, at least ones I have talked to. I'm not saying the Pagid pads will not work for track days, I know they will as with other brands like Hawk. However since I have tried the PFC I have found nothing else that compares to them.
He's not comparing them to PFC 01's and the Pagid pad he's referring to is a new compound that's pretty aggressive according to Pete.

YellowBoss said:

I have been using PFC 08's up front, and yes, to me the Pagid RST-2's have more stopping power than the 08's. I have 4 track days on the 08's and there is lots (more than 1/2) of the pad left. I have 2 days on the RST-2"s and I will be lucky to get one more day out of them. Even looking at the rear pads and comparing them to the PFC 97's, the pagids wore down as much as the front pagids. I am not sure if you correlate wear with stopping power though? But IMO, the RST-2 had more stopping power. Disclaimer: I am by far no expert when it comes to tracking a car!

06mach1 said:
I am by far no expert when it comes to tracking a car!

You and me both ;D

The 08 is not as aggressive as the 01 but it is not a super big difference. I was happy to give a little for the better wear.

I have tried many different types myself and even with my limited experience tracking I knew I would stay with the PFC's first time I tried them. Everyone drives a little difference - sees and feels things different and I am not saying you are incorrect at all. I was a little surprised at the comparison to PFC's since every Mustang/Boss owner down here who has tried them stays with them.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Some things to be thinking about when settling on a pad:

> Overall pad life
> Ability to run the pad thin while still being usable
> "Second half of life" stopping power
> Impact on rotor life
> Initial bite stopping power
> Overall stopping power
> Modulation capabilities
> Resistance to fade

So, it's not only about which pad 'stops better'. How hard you drive and push the brake system has a big impact here. If I couldn't get Pagids I probably would look to PFC as an option. For me, there's nothing out there that has the combination of attributes that I personally am looking for. I have felt that way well before I started selling them. Initial bite, rotor friendliness and modulation characteristics are very important to me. In order to drove smooth, I don't want to apply a ton of brake pedal pressure. I need excellent modulation characteristics to execute high speed trail braking effectively. IMHO, the rotor friendliness negates any potential pad life questions, although the RST-2's will last at least as long as any comparable pad with the same stopping power, and probably a little longer. The RS-29's will blow away any comparable pad on pad life, hands down. They have much more stopping power than stock pads, but not as much as RS-14's or RST-2's.

Lastly - If you are wearing out RS-56's in the rear as fast as your front pads then you either have rear rotors in terrible shape or you are running with Advanced Track fully or partially on. Once you shut down Advanced Track fully your rear pad life will increase significantly.

-Pete

TMO Supporting Vendors