The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pagid RS-29 Brake Pads for the GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS said:
Pete

I have been using the RS-29 front pads for a few years. I am curious how different the RST-2 pads are from the RS-29. More torque? Pad Life? Rotor Life??

Have you used the RST-2 personally? Your opinion??

I have used the RS-29 as well as the RSL-1. Of the two, I prefer the RSL-1 which is a newer endurance compound with a more bite, friction, and fade resistance compared to the RS-29. I believe I am one of the only individuals who has purchased the RSL-1 from Pete. The RSL-1 is a fair bit more expensive that the RS-29, but it lasts longer.

Having said that, I have gotten to the point where neither pad gives me the braking power I want in terms of bite, overall friction level, and fade resistance. I know run the RST-2 and am happy with its performance. Examining the Pagid pad characteristics, I suspect it is the increased bite that I notice most. The RST-2 does not last nearly as long as the RSL-1 or RS-29, but it is cheaper.

The RST-2 is not street friendly nor do I recommend it with non R-Comp tires. The RST-2 regularly locks a front wheel with street tires unless they are fully heated. If you are running street tires such as Pilot Super Sports, stick with the RLS-1 or the RS-29.

I have used the RS-29 as well as the RSL-1. Of the two, I prefer the RSL-1 which is a newer endurance compound with a more bite, friction, and fade resistance compared to the RS-29. I believe I am one of the only individuals who has purchased the RSL-1 from Pete. The RSL-1 is a fair bit more expensive that the RS-29, but it lasts longer.

Having said that, I have gotten to the point where neither pad gives me the braking power I want in terms of bite, overall friction level, and fade resistance. I know run the RST-2 and am happy with its performance. Examining the Pagid pad characteristics, I suspect it is the increased bite that I notice most. The RST-2 does not last nearly as long as the RSL-1 or RS-29, but it is cheaper.

The RST-2 is not street friendly nor do I recommend it with non R-Comp tires. The RST-2 regularly locks a front wheel with street tires unless they are fully heated. If you are running street tires such as Pilot Super Sports, stick with the RLS-1 or the RS-29.

I have tried the RST-2's and wore through them in less than 4 days at Watkins Glen. I may not be the hardest driver on pads, but this was significantly less than my previous Carbo Techs. Last year Pete recommended I try the RSL-1 since I was interested in longevity [i.e. keeping cost down]. I've been very happy with these pads. After 5 days at Watkins [2 were in the rain] and 3 days at Mostport [track is very easy on brakes compared to WG] I have more than 2/3 of the original thickness left. I noticed on the Pagid site that the coefficient of friction is lower with the RSL-1 however it appears to be very consistent over operating temperature range.

http://www.pagidracing.com/fileadmin/pagidracing/content_data/downloads/download_2014/pagid-product-characteristics.pdf

Hermes said:
I have tried the RST-2's and wore through them in less than 4 days at Watkins Glen. I may not be the hardest driver on pads, but this was significantly less than my previous Carbo Techs. Last year Pete recommended I try the RSL-1 since I was interested in longevity [i.e. keeping cost down]. I've been very happy with these pads. After 5 days at Watkins [2 were in the rain] and 3 days at Mostport [track is very easy on brakes compared to WG] I have more than 2/3 of the original thickness left. I noticed on the Pagid site that the coefficient of friction is lower with the RSL-1 however it appears to be very consistent over operating temperature range.

http://www.pagidracing.com/fileadmin/pagidracing/content_data/downloads/download_2014/pagid-product-characteristics.pdf

That is one of the charts I was looking at. However, the chart shows the RSL-1 having the highest coefficient of friction at any given temperature compared to the RS-29 and the RST-2. My experience is the endurance pads still have braking power, but require more pedal effort as temperatures climb. Of course, I could be reading the chart incorrectly...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
TMSBOSS said:
Pete

I have been using the RS-29 front pads for a few years. I am curious how different the RST-2 pads are from the RS-29. More torque? Pad Life? Rotor Life??

Have you used the RST-2 personally? Your opinion??

The RST-2 has more initial bite and more overall stopping power. I use this up front now, but am trying out a set of RST-3's, which just recently became available for the Boss. The RS-19, RS-29 and RSL pads are endurance pads so they last longer but also cost more. I would not recommend the RST's for the street. All of these pads are easy on rotors, even the more aggressive ones. It is relative to the pad frictional coefficient, but for the stoppoing power you get per compound type I don't think any other pad is as easy on the rotors.

Please see these pages on the Pagid website, they have spider graphs of all the pads discussed in this thread:

RS Pads: http://www.pagidracing.com/products/pagid-rs/
RST Pads: http://www.pagidracing.com/products/pagid-rst/
RSL Pads http://www.pagidracing.com/products/pagid-rsl/

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Hermes said:

Hermes - only 4 days if you weren't beating the snot out of the car sounds a little short. Were the rotors new when you installed the pads ?

-Pete

Sorry Pete, checked my log book and saw I also had 3 days at VIR from the previous year. So 7 days not 4. But these RSL-1s look like they're going to last a long time.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Hermes said:
Sorry Pete, checked my log book and saw I also had 3 days at VIR from the previous year. So 7 days not 4. But these RSL-1s look like they're going to last a long time.

LOL ;D

The RSL series of pads last more like the RS-29's do, which depending on the driver I would estimate anywhere from 15% to 40% longer life. If you had 7 days on the RST-2's, I'd guess another two days of HPDE, maybe 2.5.

-Pete

I installed my Pagid RS-29's yesterday. I'm happy to report the fitment was perfect and Pagid should have retail pads available soon if not immediately. @PeteInCT should have that answer.

Note the yellow pads match the yellow TMO stickers on my GT350 perfectly. ::)

63D10C81-0907-4699-90F9-BFD1D10D4DC1_zpsgpcrb6iz.jpg
FD8932EE-2126-4450-9C66-EE01CA872195_zpslqv6ks2q.jpg
5DEA0407-3CC3-4A7D-8D2A-EBB8E7DD7A92_zps1ascmttk.jpg
B98C54A0-AAB0-4246-B8AC-1D67EFE4E958_zpsdfx0uhsg.jpg
4CCE9B6C-4852-4A5A-90E3-A284FF1773D3_zpsfcozmhw4.jpg

I had my first track day in the car on Monday at Thunderhill Raceway Park. Conditions were from low 50’s to low 60’s with a constant 20-30 mph wind with gusts over 40 mph. It was sunny all day and I ran in the advanced group. I ran 6-30 minutes sessions and put 170 track miles on my car that day. I drive my car to and from the track and I like that the RS-29’s work effectively on the street and don’t make a lot of noise.

I previously ran RS-29’s on my Boss 302 so I’m familiar with their initial bite and on track performance characteristics. The RS-29’s on the GT350 worked very well with a moderate initial bite and progressive stopping power as more pedal pressure was applied. The bite wasn’t a lot more aggressive than the stock pads but it is more aggressive. As the day progressed I pushed the car much harder and the brake package on the GT350 is excellent, very Porsche like, with a constant firm pedal under all conditions. I was going very deep into corners and never experienced any brake fade or felt the pads were overheating. In the later sessions I was getting into the ABS on a couple of corners. I usually run R comp tires and don’t typically use street tires at the track so I was at their edge of grip. The release characteristics of the pads was smooth and similar to what I experienced on my Boss 302.

The dusting from the pads seems to be similar if not less than the stock pads. The stock pads dust a lot! I didn’t measure the Pagid pads before install but there is approximately 8.5mm of pad left compared to my stock pads with approximately 9.0mm and approximately 800 miles of which most of that was freeway miles.

Hopefully Pagid has these pads available soon.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
VoodooBOSS said:
I had my first track day in the car on Monday at Thunderhill Raceway Park. Conditions were from low 50’s to low 60’s with a constant 20-30 mph wind with gusts over 40 mph. It was sunny all day and I ran in the advanced group. I ran 6-30 minutes sessions and put 170 track miles on my car that day. I drive my car to and from the track and I like that the RS-29’s work effectively on the street and don’t make a lot of noise.

I previously ran RS-29’s on my Boss 302 so I’m familiar with their initial bite and on track performance characteristics. The RS-29’s on the GT350 worked very well with a moderate initial bite and progressive stopping power as more pedal pressure was applied. The bite wasn’t a lot more aggressive than the stock pads but it is more aggressive. As the day progressed I pushed the car much harder and the brake package on the GT350 is excellent, very Porsche like, with a constant firm pedal under all conditions. I was going very deep into corners and never experienced any brake fade or felt the pads were overheating. In the later sessions I was getting into the ABS on a couple of corners. I usually run R comp tires and don’t typically use street tires at the track so I was at their edge of grip. The release characteristics of the pads was smooth and similar to what I experienced on my Boss 302.

The dusting from the pads seems to be similar if not less than the stock pads. The stock pads dust a lot! I didn’t measure the Pagid pads before install but there is approximately 8.5mm of pad left compared to my stock pads with approximately 9.0mm and approximately 800 miles of which most of that was freeway miles.

Hopefully Pagid has these pads available soon.

Thanks Rick - great news ! Looks like you are getting MUCH more wear out of the RS-29's vs. the guys burning up the stock pads in one day at the larger, faster tracks.

As far as availability - YES !! Pagid is asking that I take orders now, with the first sets of pads being available in 2-3 weeks. The MSRP pricing for the pads is as follows:

GT350 Front RS-29 $675.00
GT350 Rear RS-29 $315.00

TMO discounting applies, please contact us for discount pricing (by rule I am not allowed to post it online, but a quick email to us will outline current pricing)

-Pete

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My RST-2 pads have arrived and will wait till my RS 29 wear out before changing....might be a while ;D...... The "South American Connection" dried up as they made their own club and are now the competition, Lol. The truth is they had a heart attack at the price. Told them its much cheaper then a unscheduled trip off the track but, I guess everyone has to learn by themselves some times.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Mad Hatter said:
My RST-2 pads have arrived and will wait till my RS 29 wear out before changing....might be a while ;D...... The "South American Connection" dried up as they made their own club and are now the competition, Lol. The truth is they had a heart attack at the price. Told them its much cheaper then a unscheduled trip off the track but, I guess everyone has to learn by themselves some times.

Funny thing is they're really not that much more expensive than crappy pads :)

-Pete

Update: after five track day which is approximately 600 track and 2,700 street miles I still have 6+ mm left of pad. I'll get at least one and maybe two more track days out of them. Just like the RS29 on my Boss these are holding up well with improved bite and life over the stock pads and are very quiet using them on the street. I'm not swapping pads and rotors back and fourth. Pagid and others have pads with more bite but these are working well for both track and street use. They probably dust a bit more than the stock pads but not by much.

58CA6493-40D7-4A9A-91DC-93BFC1E79273_zps9gejb2y4.jpg

Glad to hear all these positive reviews on the RS-29's. When I get the money allocated I will be grabbing a set of those for the fronts over the winter.

Glad to hear that they are doing a good job for you Rick, excellent news!

FogCitySF

2017 GT350R
Anyone know if the RSL-1 compound is available from Pagid for stock 350R brakes? The website doesn't have them, but Pagid is known to not keep its website updated (like Rick I had the RS29s in the 350 stock fitment really early on and took a while for them to update the website).

In the V6L
Anyone know if the RSL-1 compound is available from Pagid for stock 350R brakes? The website doesn't have them, but Pagid is known to not keep its website updated (like Rick I had the RS29s in the 350 stock fitment really early on and took a while for them to update the website).
Email Pagid USA directly - their customer service is excellent.

TMO Supporting Vendors