The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Paint chips...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have a few small but from the look of them the paint had too much hardner in it or something maybe frod paint is just cheap? This is the first car Ive owned that after 5000 miles it has like a half dozen chips they are all pretty small but come on my gov motors camaro ss did not do this so I figure ford put cheap paint jobs on? I am now looking into a super good painter to possibly after fixing the chips wet sand the car and put something on it that is worth a crap. Anyone else have this problem?

Clear bra...

I just think the ford paint is not all that great compared to most vehicles the car is over all the best to me and I am not down at ford just figure for the price the paint would be a little more forgiving. I will have it done the right way My harley was wet sanded and hose of kolor clear put on this may be the route but not cheap My harley had 600 dollars in clear they are very expensive but damn it is hard to even scratch so who knows maybe thats the ticket.

Well in the end I am setting up an apointment to have the chips fixed by a pro and then going to look into getting the clear bra put on drcolor chip did not work at all. I ended up wet sanding it off polishing it to be ready to go to a paint pro shop. I do believe that fords paint sucks pretty simple it is not as durable as gov motors and I am sure not saying gov motors is much better it just takes more abuse a little bit.

Mine has tiny scratches under each of the rubber boogers I took off after the track day, worst clear coat of any car I have ever had even the Mitsu was better. My Bronco's paint still looks brand new 16 years in. The X5 was a close second on the junk paint, will see if that shuffles over time. It was just pealing off by the time I sold it, with regular waxing and garaged at night.

I do not think these have clear coat they have the clear in the color but damn the paint is thin and does not take any abuse at all I plan to have a clear bra on real soon just need to get the chips fixed first.

Mine has taken a lot of abuse and the paint held up very well, in fact I am impressed but it. One weekend alone I took over a hundred chips to the windshield and one crack, yet I found no new paint chips.

2012YellowBoss said:
Mine has taken a lot of abuse and the paint held up very well, in fact I am impressed but it. One weekend alone I took over a hundred chips to the windshield and one crack, yet I found no new paint chips.
Thats luck

jeepinocala said:
Have a few small but from the look of them the paint had too much hardner in it or something maybe frod paint is just cheap? This is the first car Ive owned that after 5000 miles it has like a half dozen chips they are all pretty small but come on my gov motors camaro ss did not do this so I figure ford put cheap paint jobs on? I am now looking into a super good painter to possibly after fixing the chips wet sand the car and put something on it that is worth a crap. Anyone else have this problem?

I have some dings in the clearbra that would be paint damage if not for the clearbra. GOOD STUFF!!

Do they make a clearbra like product for windshields? I have 3 or 4 small chips in it after the last track event!

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Do they make something that is kinda-sorta like clear bra except very temporary? Something to be used only on track days. Something that just looks better than covering the front with blue painter's tape.

I seen that stuff on few cars at the track. It's hideous looking but it works.

drano38

Wayne
YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Do they make something that is kinda-sorta like clear bra except very temporary? Something to be used only on track days. Something that just looks better than covering the front with blue painter's tape.

http://www.tracwrap.com/
and Road Wrap are 2 brands. Google both for forum feedback.

I've seen pics, and ChuckP is correct--looks bad because it can't be installed smooth/clean as a true clear bra is.
I try not to sit on someone's bumper, which reduces the rocks I eat. I don't have a clear bra. Some day I'll wish I did.

You can go to Tap Plastics and get the sticky film, it is not very sticky and is super cheap. It will not stretch, so it looks horrible. I have used it on lights and stuff at the track on cars, not the windshield, and it came off easy. YMMV, if it gets hot it may leave more residue. I just stay off people's bumpers and don't get chips, unless I'm in the track car which is ugly anyways so I don't care about chips.

TMO Supporting Vendors