The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Paint Cure Time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Would anyone know how long it takes for Ford 's paint/clear coat take to cure? How long should one wait before you apply a wax to the finish assuming your vehicle just arrived from Flat Rock?

The paint that I use in my shop will kick next day so that you can sand and buff it but won't fully cure for a minimum of 30-40 days depending on the tempatures it is exposed to. A safe bet is 2 months. Baking will initially soften and let it flow but I believe when it kicks it kicks faster. I use a product called Fast Wax that is available from your local paint and body material shop. This wax is not a long term wax but is porrus and lets the paint breath while curing and still affords protection and shine. I have a couple 10 year jobs out there that I know of which have been well maintained and cared for. We used a porrus polish in the day and they still look good.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Thanks Regal for you expertise in this area. I will wait 2 months before I put any wax on my vehicle once I take delivery.

MMD

More meaning its fine to wax. Factory paint process is far different than auto body paint process.

Multiple bake steps at much higher temps. Just the body is painted so there is no worry of melting plastics and wires. Front and rear bumpers actually are painted at a different time from the body as they won't stand up to the heat the body is subjected to during baking.

Jeff said:
Multiple bake steps at much higher temps. Just the body is painted so there is no worry of melting plastics and wires. Front and rear bumpers actually are painted at a different time from the body as they won't stand up to the heat the body is subjected to during baking.
That is true, the bumpers would warp all to hell with that heat. The dealer might not be as careful to not wipe with contaminated rags as you will be.

Do they wax it? Mine didn't feel waxed unless it was with a snot rag. Mine was built in November and delivered to the dealer in January so I wasn't worried about curing and waxed it the first day it wasn't raining. Also they put the stripes on while it is fresh, I don't know if they are porous but they don't seem to hurt the paint.

CaliMR said:
Do they wax it? Mine didn't feel waxed unless it was with a snot rag. Mine was built in November and delivered to the dealer in January so I wasn't worried about curing and waxed it the first day it wasn't raining. Also they put the stripes on while it is fresh, I don't know if they are porous but they don't seem to hurt the paint.

Depends on the dealer, mine will wax special cars like the Boss, Shelby or maybe the cars that will be sitting in the show room. They did not wax the F150 I bought. The stripes are put on at the factory soon after painting but as many like myself know it is not a big deal, they come right off without hurting the paint.

TMO Supporting Vendors