The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Paintless Dent Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Francisco Bay Area
Hey All,

I am the owner of #199 2013 Boss 302, and I had a paintless dent removal job done a while back, in which I had a tiny dent on the D-pillar fixed.

The technician had to drill a 1/2” or thereabout hole into the sheet metal behind the left tail lamp to access the dent, and now I’m just wondering if the structural integrity of the vehicle has been compromised should I take the car to the track and undergo high-speed torsional movement.

What are your thoughts? Do I need to weld the hole or reinforce it to ensure that there won’t be any twisting around the drill hole area? Thanks for your advice!

-Dan

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wouldn’t worry about it. A round 1/2” hole isn’t going to compromise the structural integrity of the frame. Certainly not when anywhere near a tail light.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
you should've seen the hole I drilled in this one to knock it out..

you could've driven a Kia through it... oh wait

View attachment 62852
Yeah, for a race car the panels are pretty much just for aero, cosmetics and advertising space. They don’t do much for casual contact.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Francisco Bay Area
Hang out with this group and before you know it you’ll be taking a 3” hole saw to your front shock towers for additional camber! No worries on a small hole like that in the sheet metal.
You’re welcome. Glad to help. It’s often easier to explain why or that something isn’t a concern...but difficult when the opposite is the case!
you should've seen the hole I drilled in this one to knock it out..

you could've driven a Kia through it... oh wait

View attachment 62852

Haha thanks everyone for being so welcoming, I’m really glad people here are so genuine and helpful! Hopefully I run into some of you guys on the track one of these days.

By the way, if anyone’s interested, I found a pic with a similar hole to mine. I guess it’s nothing like half a shock tower cut out, or a Kia absorbing black hole, so I feel more relieved about this during my first track day haha!

12062176-9A94-4BDE-95E6-6E7B40F330B5.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors