The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Panhard Bar / Rear End Shift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was looking at my Boss today and it appeared the rear was shifted to the left (drivers side). I got a straight edge and a ruler and measured the space between the outside of the finder to the rim. On the left there was a 3/8" gap, on the right there was a 11/16" gap. So the rear is shifted 11/32 to the left.

So my questions are: How much shift is okay before it effects the handling? Is there any adjustment in the stock suspension for this? Are yours shifted also? If I lower the rear, which way will the rear shift?

I think a worth while and relatively inexpensive modification to make is an adjustable panhard rod. How much better is it to have it centered I really don't know I know I'd rather have it centered in any case.

I went a step farther and made a Watts link for my GT.

IMG_1622.png

Mine is shifted slightly to the driver's side. That's normal with a panhard bar when you lower the car. I'm surprised it moved that much given they only lowered it 1mm in the rear. I wonder if they use the same panhard bar as on the 5.0? I had a BMR adjustable panhard bar when I originally lowered the GT500. It worked fine, but you really have to play with it...up and down off the lift to get it dead-centered. They also come with poly bushings so you'll likely transmit a lot more NVH into the cabin. Even with my Watts Link on the GT500 it seems to slightly shift to the driver's side even after re-centering it a couple times. Now I just leave it.....but it's minimally off-center. You have to really look to even notice.

For me, I'm just going to leave my Boss the way it is now. It's not that far off, and I certainly don't notice it from a handling perspective.

So if you lower the rear with lowering spring, it's going to shift more to the driver's side. I was hoping it would shift the other way. It would have given me an excuse to lower the rear. ;)

The stock panhard bars are pretty weak and can bend under heavy track/autox use. When bent they shift the axle to the passenger side. An aftermarket (solid or adjustable) panhard bar is a very good investment if you drive your car hard.

TMO Supporting Vendors