The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Panhard vs Watts Link

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have a Ford Racing Adjustable Panhard Rod available for sale if you want it. $100 shipped, like new, used half a season until i bought a Watts Link. LOL
Steve

Hi Steve:

Did you go with the CorTex Watts Link & if so any Diff Cover oil leaks?

Thank you,

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Hi Steve:

Thank you,
I have the Whiteline Watts setup. Three years running autocross, 200 TW tires. No leaks. I used a lubelocker gasket, thoroughly cleaned the bolt holes and ran the new bo;ts thru a die to clean up threads. Installed and torqued to spec. Totally unrelated to the watts linkage, I ran into lots of cover leaks that were all related to poor prep. I used a gasket only because I hate prying off a well glued on cover.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Watching the Videos where AJ is "Flying" in his S197 mustang. I wonder if the term "Suspension" applies to his car?? Would Landing Gear be the correct term?? 🤭 The man gets more out of a Mustang/car than most humans. That could be leading to the leaks.
My Watts link has been in for over a year and seen several track days with no leaks.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Watts did you misread, there is no link to me having a drip issue, but then I did say no bolts loose, and unlike your situation where the nuts were loose , I did not need that Link system, ha,ha,ha.

As usual, some of us get slightly off issue , but for you newcomers , TMS and I are actually good friends and a little joking comes with that territory.

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Germany
Hi guys. Sorry that I only now announce that I am very busy.

After reading through everything again and studying other articles, I came to the conclusion that the Watts link should not be included.

I will first use an adjustable Panhard rod with an additional strut. Then I will use a damper (Koni or Bilstein). Then the lower trailing arm not adjustable with offset bracket and then the upper trailing arm adjustable, both from BMR(?).

What do you think of these steps?

Greetings from Germany.

Christian

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
BMR makes a fine Watts Link that doesn't leak either! For me it's a comfort and feel level.

I have all BMR LCAs, UCAs and PHB before I wandered down Blacksheep's verboden Watts Link Lane. They are easy to work with and high quality components. That said, I agree that your best course of action would be the PHB at this point. I would recommend you either stick with all Ford Performance or at the very least, all the same manufacturer on your suspension set-up. They tend to play together better.

Last edited:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Hi Steve:

Thank you,
No leaks but you have to properly clean and metal prep the cover and housing and then use the Ford specified RTV. No issues. Check the bolts at each pad change, they are taking a lot of shear load along with the adhesive.

TMO Supporting Vendors