The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Park it or drive it?

Summer tires. Collectors item. Whatever the reason. What are you doing with your Boss over the winte

• Parking?

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Driving?

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechJunky

2012 BOSS 302 #1942
Personally. I bought it as my daily driver. My dealer was shocked! "you are going to drive it!?!?"
Sorry for this in advance, but...... Duh!!!

drano38

Wayne
If you're not in the snow/salt belt, drive it!
I parked mine for winter about Thanksgiving. But winter didn't snow up. I finally got smart and drove it again until winter really hit last week.
If you're in a nice climate, don't leave the Boss locked up!

BLAZN BOSS

drano38 said:
I parked mine for winter about Thanksgiving. But winter didn't snow up. I finally got smart and drove it again until winter really hit last week.
+1

It's my daily driver, however in AZ there's good driving weather 365 days out of the year. If it's a rainy day, I'll take my wife's Tahoe ;D

Drive it and you're not driving it unless you're testing the rev limiter frequently. ;D

Bears?

If one is a black bear in the wintry climates, one hibernates. If one is a Koala bear in Australia does one hibernate? If all bears could vote, would there be much different results in this poll?. One must think about these things. ::) ::)

98RedGT

2012 #552
drano38 said:

+1

I drive mine as weather permits (no rain or low temps). Mine is not a garage queen, but I don't plan on racking up the miles on it either. I purchased mine in mid-September and I just rolled 2500 miles yesterday (most of the miles (900+) were a trip to central Texas canyon area - lots of twisties).

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Mine is a 'Track Queen' but not a 'Garage Queen'. Must sleep it in the winter, however winter here hasn't really shown up yet!

I am keeping mine "forever" but don't ever want to hit 100,000 miles. Sooo I have nearly 10k on it since 6/13/2011 and plan on keeping it around 20k/year for the first three years then get another car to put a million miles on. At that point car number 733 will go "mostly track."

Right now I'm leaning towards a convertible, probably a 5.0, definitely a 6 speed manual (since I don't know how to drive an automatic... :p), and possibly a convertible Boss clone! People can't heckle me for making a Boss clone if I own one right? :D

Back in the day I had a college professor that made an SVO convertible out of a GT Turbo and that was a a cool car.

In MN so it is parked. Summer tires really limit what you can do with the car under about 45 degrees or so. Plus, even in summer I don't drive it on rainy days so would never subject to salt and snow even if the tires weren't an issue. Plus keep miles off it (4650 so far since May) and save about $85/mo. on insurance over the winter months. It'll come out early April I think.

I tend to drive in a rather "unruly" way on the road and I've learned a long time ago that a high-powered RWD in inclement weather is an exercise in futility. Plus, it takes very little power to slide in snow or even in the very cold dry pavement. All these are well supported by the fact that I own six cars, thus I can actually make a choice to put four of those into hibernation. It's up to the point that my wife and I have categories such as the winter beaters, the summer drivers, the tow vehicle, the weekend warrior, and a couple within I'm-unsure-why-I-bought-it category.

So, for me, putting the B302 on the road during cold months is an asinine, why-even-mull-it-over idea. That way I don't have to deal with finding winter tires and wheels, come up with an idea to store them, to keep track of them, and a gaggle of other headache. Hibernation cycle starts around end of October and ends around end of May. I clean/wash them, top off their fuel tanks, park them in gear (and parking brake disengaged), hook up a float charger to each, and kiss them good night. See you all in 7 months.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Definitely driving here in SoCal. It's been 70's and 80's lately...

Fat Boss said:
Right now I'm leaning towards a convertible, probably a 5.0, definitely a 6 speed manual (since I don't know how to drive an automatic... :p), and possibly a convertible Boss clone! People can't heckle me for making a Boss clone if I own one right? :D

Back in the day I had a college professor that made an SVO convertible out of a GT Turbo and that was a a cool car.

Dang..I was considering something similar. An '11 or '12 Kona Blue GT 'vert...all done up like a Boss with a WHITE top! ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors