The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Parnelli Jones Signature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cool. How easy was it to remove the panels? Was there a charge for him to sign the panel?

This brings up an interesting question. Why would you want PJ to sign your car? What real connection does he have with the new cars other than Ford pimping him for them? I don't mean any disrespect by that and I appreciate the original Boss 302's as much as the next guy. Does PJ really have any direct connection to our cars? Having CS sign your Shelby GT500 is different. His company is still involved in the design, production, and sales of Mustangs.

I previously suggested having Paul Brown sign mine. Paul won the 2011 World Challenge GTS class driving a 2012 Boss 302S. Wouldn't it make more sense to have him sign our cars? Just throwing that out there. :)

Ok, here is the story on the passenger side airbag cover. Originally I wanted to remove the cover currently in the vehicle but found out once it's removed it will disable the car from being started. (Safety mechanism...from what I was told) Also I was unsure about sending the part off to California to have signed and not know when or if I'd get the part back. I've been told the part is not too hard to have removed and replaced....once I do so, I will post on it.

With all of this said, I just decided to order a new part from Ford and send it. Now I made contact with VIP Sports which Parnelli owns and asked if I could send something to have signed. Not only did I send the part with a paint marker but I also made a donation to his son (Page Jones) foundation for traumatic brain injury which he suffered many years ago while racing.

To my surprise, I sent it through UPS and the same day it arrived (9:02 am) it was signed and sent back!! Now I understand 5 DOT 0 and his question about why have Parnelli sign and not Paul Brown? Funny he asks because the next step is to have this sent for Paul Brown to sign as well.

If you watch the video sent with our owners package and read the book, Parnelli had a lot to do with the comeback of the Boss 302 in 2012. Ford basically stated, if Parnelli doesn't sign off on the project it won't happen. Now whether this adds value to the car or not is yet to be seen or determined. Right now I just need to find a way to have Paul Brown sign too.

SUPRMN said:
Now I understand 5 DOT 0 and his question about why have Parnelli sign and not Paul Brown? Funny he asks because the next step is to have this sent for Paul Brown to sign as well.
FTW 8)

SUPRMN said:
If you watch the video sent with our owners package and read the book, Parnelli had a lot to do with the comeback of the Boss 302 in 2012. Ford basically stated, if Parnelli doesn't sign off on the project it won't happen. Now whether this adds value to the car or not is yet to be seen or determined. Right now I just need to find a way to have Paul Brown sign too.
No doubt it was nice having PJ sign and be involved with the approval process. My point is the reason why PJ is so well associated with the Boss is because he won the championship in 1970. Paul Brown did the same thing in 2011 with a 2012 Boss 302S although it not as visible of a series. No disrespect meant to PB but PJ has had a more storied racing career and thus a bigger draw.

SUPRMN said:
Ok, here is the story on the passenger side airbag cover. Originally I wanted to remove the cover currently in the vehicle but found out once it's removed it will disable the car from being started. (Safety mechanism...from what I was told) Also I was unsure about sending the part off to California to have signed and not know when or if I'd get the part back. I've been told the part is not too hard to have removed and replaced....once I do so, I will post on it.
Do we know for sure that removing the covers will disable the airbags? A base Mustang GT or V6 doesn't have any aluminum cover over the airbag. There is black plastic under those covers and they are applied with double sided tape. I can't imagine the covers having any effect on the airbag sensors. Does anyone else know differently?

Even if the information is untrue, I didn't want to risk not getting the piece back. The last thing I want is a hole in my dash where the panel is suppose to be. I got the information from a Mustang club member who owns a 2007 Shelby and took his off to have signed by Carrol. He's the one who said it would disable the car. BS or not, it's done.

SUPRMN said:
Even if the information is untrue, I didn't want to risk not getting the piece back. The last thing I want is a hole in my dash where the panel is suppose to be. I got the information from a Mustang club member who owns a 2007 Shelby and took his off to have signed by Carrol. He's the one who said it would disable the car. BS or not, it's done.
I'm just asking so we'll know for sure in case others do this. I would have done the same thing as you. And BTW I have's PJ's signature on two things I've purchased recently. I'm just wondering if PB is more relavent to our cars or will he be years from now.

I'm working on the PB signature. Right now awaiting replies from a few email addresses. If I get lucky to have him sign I'll let you know. I'd love to have both!!

MLM

Mike
5 DOT 0 said:
SUPRMN said:
Do we know for sure that removing the covers will disable the airbags? A base Mustang GT or V6 doesn't have any aluminum cover over the airbag. There is black plastic under those covers and they are applied with double sided tape. I can't imagine the covers having any effect on the airbag sensors. Does anyone else know differently?

FWIW the trim cover is attached to the passenger airbag module. To swap covers, the whole module needs to come out. It does not look difficult, but the airbags need to be depowered before removing the module.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1107&viewfile=Passenger Air Bag Module.pdf

5 DOT 0 said:
SUPRMN said:
I'm working on the PB signature. Right now awaiting replies from a few email addresses. If I get lucky to have him sign I'll let you know. I'd love to have both!!
Just call Tiger Racing, Paul will probably answer the phone.

http://tiger-racing.com/tigerorg/index.html

I emailed him at the business website address, but if I get no reply...I'll try calling!

After several days, I have finally heard back from Paul Brown. He has provided me an address and will gladly sign the air bag panel I had Parnelli sign.

Guess I know what I will be doing on Tuesday......stay tuned!!

TMO Supporting Vendors