The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Part Throttle Boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've had a super charger on my charger for a couple years and am always concerned about lean conditions under part throttle boost. Lots of fun on the drag strip though.

I just saw a video of a boss 302 with a pro charger put down 640 rwhp at 7.5lbs of boost.

I don't want to do anything to negatively impact my boss as a road car, but I'd love to run it at the strip as well.

Anyone run a centri or twin screw supercharger and regularly track the car? If so what do you do about the part throttle boost or does the MAF adjust fuel?

Sesshomurai

I'm curious of this as well. I was eyeing the cog race pro charger kit for when I enter NASA AI/X unrestricted class in a couple years.

If tuning is a solution on the boss I may proceed. The issue with my mopar is we can only set the wot tables. So everything up to that, the PCM is trying to maintain 14.7 afr which is trouble.

ArizonaGT said:
It's all about the tune, gentlemen...

VMP Tuning is very popular with the M90 and TVS2300 Roushcharger guys
Like Drew said. I road raced my GT500 for four years and it's still going strong with 35+k miles on it and 10k on track. I'm running a VMP tune. I emailed Justin last week to see if he has done any tuning on his Boss with a header and O/R X pipe setup and he said he hasn't done any NA packages yet since he's planning to put a supercharger on his. I'm not sure what supercharger he's planning to install, but you could check with him.

Sesshomurai

Here's the link to the SC I mentioned above.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/procharger-cog-1213boss.html

Since I already have a custom tune for some parts, the race tune version is needed (needs full dyno). But its nice because it keeps the boss intake, cross brace, etc. in place,
which other chargers don't. A medley of other parts upgrades are needed to support that kind of power though (cams, clutch, driveshaft, etc.) all on the list. Ok, back on topic.

D

I got to go along for a ride in a track prepped with slicks 2011 GT350 at Sears Point in August. That car is more or less a supercharged Boss. It was ridiculously awesome on the track. I don't know any lap times for comparison, but I did go head to head with a couple of GT350's at the Shelby Bash and they can whip my butt on the track. Those cars might have had slicks, I couldn't tell at speed! I'd like to see someone who tracks a Boss regularly supercharge theirs and give us their impressions.

Thought about supercharging mine but the feedback I have received from everyone who races them is heat, heat, and more heat! My car currently makes 412HP . I was at the PRI show in Orlando last week and talked to some Ford Racing people and the direction I'm taking is this. Installing the new CJ intake, 110mm TB, 47lb injectors, air intake, custom dyno tune, Borla long tube headers, and exhaust. Should make 500hp on 100 octane fuel. Along with the new areo work and Cortex Watts link should be very competitive. I already hit 300 degrees F oil temp this year several times so I can't afford any more heat. I have installed a much larger oil cooler, but have yet to test it on any hot track....snow here.

Sesshomurai

jdasch1 said:
Thought about supercharging mine but the feedback I have received from everyone who races them is heat, heat, and more heat! My car currently makes 412HP . I was at the PRI show in Orlando last week and talked to some Ford Racing people and the direction I'm taking is this. Installing the new CJ intake, 110mm TB, 47lb injectors, air intake, custom dyno tune, Borla long tube headers, and exhaust. Should make 500hp on 100 octane fuel. Along with the new areo work and Cortex Watts link should be very competitive. I already hit 300 degrees F oil temp this year several times so I can't afford any more heat. I have installed a much larger oil cooler, but have yet to test it on any hot track....snow here.

Yeah. Heat is always an issue. For most club races though, the events are usually no longer than 30 or 40 minutes. Which a good intercooler should be able to avoid a lot of heat soak in that time frame. For longer endurance racing, drastic cooling measures obviously are needed. Even without a SC, running hard for 40 minutes cause heat issues that need to be addressed, but they can be remedied with the right parts usually (e.g. going from stock plastic to steel clutch line).

TMO Supporting Vendors