The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Parts List For OPG Install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I picked up a GT500 oil pan and pump kit and it came what looks like all the necessary bolts. Anyone have a list of gaskets or other items one should have on hand for this job?

So far I have:

-Timing Cover Gaskets, L, Center, and R
-Valve Cover Gaskets & VCT solenoid seals
-Crank Pulley Bolt
-Front Crank Seal

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have had the front off my motor a few times. Oil pump upgrade and timing chain tensioner replacement. Gaskets replacement has been optional. The factory stuff usually holds up well. I did upgrade to an ARP crank bolt. Inspect and replace as needed.

This motor only has 15k miles on it so if the gaskets hold up well that would be great to be able to reuse them.

Is the ARP crank bolt TTY? Torquing a crank bolt x degrees is always a pain so the arp bolt prob would be worth it just because I can prob torque to x ft lbs. I’ll look into it

The only thing you may need that isn't listed is gasket silicone. Ford likes a little dab where the different aluminum castings meet (where the heads meet the block when doing the front timing cover, and where the front timing cover meet the heads when doing the valve cover). The book specifies Motorcraft Sealant TA-31, but I think most people use gray Permatex. You'll want to make sure the old sealant is scraped away and the area is clean prior to re-application.

Ok one new question as I’m mid install. On the gen3 motors the HPFP is above the passenger valve cover and while I’d like to remove the valve cover entirely I’d prefer not to remove it and associated lines if I can. has anyone @steveespo ? Done this job without removing the passenger valve cover entirely? Maybe unbolt it and lift it up enough to get the primary chain off that sprocket?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Ok one new question as I’m mid install. On the gen3 motors the HPFP is above the passenger valve cover and while I’d like to remove the valve cover entirely I’d prefer not to remove it and associated lines if I can. has anyone @steveespo ? Done this job without removing the passenger valve cover entirely? Maybe unbolt it and lift it up enough to get the primary chain off that sprocket?
HPFP bolts through cam cover to make seal so the pump has to come off to remove cam cover to remove front cover and timing chains. Its not that hard, Ford recommends replacing the high pressure discharge pipe from the pump to the Direct Injection rail. Part # is JR3Z-9J323-A

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I picked up a GT500 oil pan and pump kit and it came what looks like all the necessary bolts. Anyone have a list of gaskets or other items one should have on hand for this job?

So far I have:

-Timing Cover Gaskets, L, Center, and R
-Valve Cover Gaskets & VCT solenoid seals
-Crank Pulley Bolt
-Front Crank Seal

I already got a billet oil pump, any idea if the pick up will still work with that?

I’m not sure but I’d be hesitant to use it even if it did fit. The gt500 oil pump gear is thicker than standard coyote and flows more oil. The pickup is sized for that additional flow so without knowing what the effect of a larger pickup tube is on a lower flowing pump you’re potentially gambling with the result. Additionally you’re also not getting the extra flow and pressure of the new pump if you don’t use the gt500 pump.

Oh and one more thing for anyone doing this install:

Check your pickup tube to pan clearance. @honeybadger documented a pickup to pan gap that was too tight by about 1/8” and mine was too tight by this amount as well. In my case the pickup mount to the pump inlet was also not mating properly until I shortened the coupler that the pickup tube mounts to.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I’m not sure but I’d be hesitant to use it even if it did fit. The gt500 oil pump gear is thicker than standard coyote and flows more oil. The pickup is sized for that additional flow so without knowing what the effect of a larger pickup tube is on a lower flowing pump you’re potentially gambling with the result. Additionally you’re also not getting the extra flow and pressure of the new pump if you don’t use the gt500 pump.
Good point. By any chance, did you ever compare the gen3 pickup tube with the gt500 one? I would hate ripping out the billet pump.

Oh you’re talking the gen3 tube? Nope won’t fit it’s plastic and built into the gen3 plastic oil pan.

I know you don’t want to rip apart that motor you bought but look at all the coyotes people on here have blown up, damn near all of them have been oil starvation. I also didn’t want to rip apart my 15k mile 2020 motor but figured that was still better than starving and blowing the motor down the road. Not a guarantee, but I didn’t want to risk it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Oh you’re talking the gen3 tube? Nope won’t fit it’s plastic and built into the gen3 plastic oil pan.

I know you don’t want to rip apart that motor you bought but look at all the coyotes people on here have blown up, damn near all of them have been oil starvation. I also didn’t want to rip apart my 15k mile 2020 motor but figured that was still better than starving and blowing the motor down the road. Not a guarantee, but I didn’t want to risk it.

Oh dude, totally. Now is the time to get it all done.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel