The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Passenger side rear rattle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sounds like it comes from the rear passenger window. Only happens when I'm on the gas pretty hard, maybe 50% or more and the window are closed, if they are open it doesn't happen. But it's a very loud rattle out of the right rear! Very annoying. Any ideas?

I'd check the passenger sidepipe first, as it is common and hard to figure out where it is coming from. There are a few threads on it, but basically the bolt on the band in the middle needs generous clearance from the floor and you loosen all the bolts then twist it in the band a little to turn the bolt away from the floor. I also had a passenger side rattle that was rpm dependent and only when on heavy throttle, turned out it was a loose clip inside a panel. The tech at the dealership figured that one out pretty quick.

Sesshomurai

I had this happen early on when I got the car, but it seems to have went away. Probably the usual cause of this and when I put my new mufflers in, tweaked something and tightened it up.

btw. There's a rear passenger window?!?! :eek:

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
CaliMR said:
I'd check the passenger sidepipe first, as it is common and hard to figure out where it is coming from. There are a few threads on it, but basically the bolt on the band in the middle needs generous clearance from the floor and you loosen all the bolts then twist it in the band a little to turn the bolt away from the floor. I also had a passenger side rattle that was rpm dependent and only when on heavy throttle, turned out it was a loose clip inside a panel. The tech at the dealership figured that one out pretty quick.

+1

I have a rattle in the same vicinity and it might be the rear passenger seat belt. Mine only happens between about 85 and 110 and was more consistent when my car was new. I heard it the other day for the first time in a while but it quickly went away. Of course I never drive my car that fast on public roads. ;)

Its not the exhaust, I can tell where it comes from, its inside the car in the right rear, sounds like it could be near the seatbelt but I had a passenger hold it and it still happened. Sounds like right corner inside the panels or something!!!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I would just take it in and have the dealer at least try to fix it....if not pull the panel back and look for yourself. takes all of 5 mins to pull it back and look.

I have numerous rattles, whines, weird sounds from my Boss. They come and go, except for the rear end noise, that is always there. It's a constant shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound. Been covered elsewhere in this forum. While I love my car, refinement isn't its strong point. Performance is. If you want both, drop another $20k for an M3 or Porsche. I don't mean that in a smartass way, but our cars are still pretty cheaply made in a lot of areas.

Sesshomurai

Tflong24 said:
I have numerous rattles, whines, weird sounds from my Boss. They come and go, except for the rear end noise, that is always there. It's a constant shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound. Been covered elsewhere in this forum. While I love my car, refinement isn't its strong point. Performance is. If you want both, drop another $20k for an M3 or Porsche. I don't mean that in a smartass way, but our cars are still pretty cheaply made in a lot of areas.

Yeah, I took my rear seats out and now I hear the constant "Wisssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". It can't be corrected? Was worried the diff my need a fluid change or something.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
darreng505 said:
Yeah, I took my rear seats out and now I hear the constant "Wisssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". It can't be corrected? Was worried the diff my need a fluid change or something.

Sounds like the standard "Torsen Noise"...nothing to worry about.

TMO Supporting Vendors