The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Patch tire for track use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Florida
Ok I'm going to show my lack of knowledge here so take it easy on me everyone. I had to get a rear tire patched on my gt350. I am still using my original set of Pilot super sports that came on the car and was thinking that i would not want to use that tire for my next track weekend at Sebring. I am a level 2 HPDE driver and was wanting to get some feedback on if I should step up and get a set of Cup2's for the track or stay with the PSS. I dont feel that I am fully pushing the PSS tires to their max yet and I am trying to make my limited budget stretch for as many events as possible. Can anyone tell me what the life of the PSS vs Cup2 would be on the track. My thinking is that more track days on the PSS tires will benefit my driving skill advancement better than fewer days on the better tires. If the Cup2's would give me only 3 weekend events vs the PSS Giving me 4 then I get an extra 2 days on track for same budget. There is only about $200 differenced per set of tires. Any help would be appreciated

I am using a 2018 gt350 for track days, Factory brake pads, track alignment and no other mods yet

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Florida
Yes I have looked into a second set of wheels and going to a square set of 19X11 with the spacers. The problem is if I spend the money on the wheels that is equal to 2 track weekends and I am trying to get thru 2021. my wife wants me to look at buying a Track only car that I do not need track insurance and consumables will be much less. Looking at a spec racer like the new Rush Sr1 to buy in late 2021. extra money put into the gt350 will take away from my pot of money for the other car

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
May want to consider the Goodyear SuperCar 3’s as a lower cost alternative to the Michelin’s. And then when you’re ready for R level grip, the SuperCar 3R’s will hold their own with the SC2’s for a much better price point.

I would stick with a production car for now, even if it is not the one you have. If there was a race series with more than 20 cars in it, then maybe the rush, but that car could easily become a giant paperweight in the future.
There are plenty of track ready cars out there, that you can actually RACE. Mustang T3 cars are a good ride and relatively cheap, as an example. For that matter, consider a 206 spec kart, once you master that and the bumper to bumper, wheel to wheel 15 kart drafts then you can step up.
With regards to the tire, and this is my opinion only, is that if that tire is patched (not plugged) in the tread area, you can probably get away with it at Sebring, but that decision is yours alone.
BTW, I've run karts at Sebring, on the short course, it is flat out in a Yamaha except for the hairpin.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Florida
yes I understand about the rush being a new car. that is why I'm am not getting into one this year. NASA Florida and Texas will be running them in a class starting in January with 8 in florida that I know of. BTW I am not looking to get into racing just yet.

The tire has an inside patch pretty much middle of the tred and is the left rear. The leak was very small as I was able to drive 2 hrs to get to an open tire shop after inflating it 5 psi over normal. what are the possible issues that might happen on the track with that tire? My next event will be a 2 day NASA event in Feburary at Sebring. Could be cool or quite hot then.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel