The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

PBIR Yesterday Learning Some Things I Should Have Known

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did my first off-roading with the Boss yesterday. I could look for the vid from Miller when Charlie told me, if you blow the turn give up and move on. You can hear me say crap seconds before going off but with a Daytona prototype and a Ferrari behind me I thought I could save a bad turn and not look bad. It almost cost me more then looking bad. You can hear the ABS going off into the turn, lucky I was able to save the car from going around even if I owe most of that to the Advanced Track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpB6Aw5Vyo[/youtube]

In this vid I saw the Porsche going off the track. There were fast cars around me again and I thought about punching it to get by the situation. Normally I would have just stopped but I was afraid of getting popped in the rear, I decided to slow and was able to stop as he shot back across the track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9IixFw2kIg[/youtube]

Did not best my 1:33 time yesterday but ran very constant. Even when I did not feel it my times were still good. Few laps in a row all at 1:34 and 1:35

Been thinking about changing gears in the Boss. So this time I tried to shift on the short straights to see if that would help. It may have in split seconds but not much I could see in times. I ended up with equal laps by shifting or just hitting the rev limiter for a second or two.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1vq_Kaj9ug[/youtube]

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Could have been a lot worse, use that as a learning experience! I got some vids out here in AZ this weekend, will start posting those shortly (including a few of my own "oops" moments).

What brake pads do use? And do they always squeal like that? I had Hawk's on my G8 and I hated them. Stopped great, but sounds like a crosstown bus

Jza1736 said:
What brake pads do use? And do they always squeal like that? I had Hawk's on my G8 and I hated them. Stopped great, but sounds like a crosstown bus

I was using HP+ and they worked great. I tried a set of DTC 30's but I do not like them, lots of vibration. I am going to pull them off and talk with Hawk about it (again). I will be looking into other pads depending on what the say.

Still using HP+ in the rears and wil stay there for now.

Is that Lady Boss in the car with you? I hope you didn't scare whomever that was. ;)

Yep it is. I asked her if I scared her because of her hand motion after. She lied and said no, I know it was a lie cause I scare myself just watching my own vids !!!

The funniest thing about yesterday is how slow and short the track seemed. Before on the long straight I was bored waiting for the end, after Daytona it felt like I was on that for two seconds. Daytona has ruined the other tracks for me ;D

Scott

Thanks for all the videos!

I have no idea how those hp+ are working out for you ???. Hawk tried to sell me the same stuff and they didn't even last a day in the front. The rears were fine, but it does very little braking...... Then they gave me DTC30 and those lasted almost not even a day and a half....

By the way I am sending you a PM.....

adam81 said:
I have no idea how those hp+ are working out for you ???. Hawk tried to sell me the same stuff and they didn't even last a day in the front. The rears were fine, but it does very little braking...... Then they gave me DTC30 and those lasted almost not even a day and a half....

I used the HP+ for many track days and they worked great, no fade or other problems. As I improved I started to burn them a little quicker so I talked with Hawk and read as much as I could about the 30's on line including what you had said. I was very apprehensive but gave them a try and it has not gone well.

At Daytona they shook the wheel bad the first session, then calmed down a little bit but never went away. I talked to Hawk and they said I did not bed them in correctly, I do not believe that. They also said maybe I glazed them, I check and they were not. I cleaned them up and tried again this weekend but it did not go well, the wheel was shaking almost out of hands all day. If I did not work on the car myself I would have stopped for the day. They also had a loud squeal even when warmed up.

I was very happy with the HP+ pads, stopped the car great on track and I could drive the car during the week. I will never use the 30's again. I will see what Hawk says about these and maybe try something different like the DTC 60's. If they try to tell me it is operator error, I will be moving on to another brand.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
adam81 said:
Scott

Thanks for all the videos!

By the way I am sending you a PM.....

Agreed...HP+ is not enough pad for a heavy car like ours, the max operating temp is 750F

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Pagid's or Carbotech's are the way to go. I swear by Pagid's and I know others fell just as strongly about Carbotech. You'll get more overall stopping power, better early bite and at least with the Pagid R-29's you save the life of your rotors (not sure about Carbotech's yet). I've tried Hawks up front multiple times (including the HP+'s) and even on a lighter car they just chew up the rotors and are more susceptable to fade. They are also noisy as heck on the street.

I used the HP+ for many tracks days without problems. I still would recommend them for people starting out. I have 12 or 13 days on the rotors and they are fine. The DTC 30 are a different story, they are terrible. The wheel was shaking out of my hands and Hawk told me it is because I did not have a proper transfer film on the rotor .... please!

I am going to be switching to the Carbotechs or PFCs I think for my next round but appreciate all the reviews.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
PFC>Carbotech Carbotech tend to leave excessive deposits unless they are bedded in really well, I have run on M3 and GT3 with problems on each.

Peter

5 DOT 0 said:
OLOABoss said:
PFC>Carbotech Carbotech tend to leave excessive deposits unless they are bedded in really well, I have run on M3 and GT3 with problems on each.

Peter
They run PFC's on the BTA cars at MMP and they worked well.
They worked fine, but I personally don't think they bite like a DTC70.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Not sure what PFC comes stock with the Boss but those have nowhere near as much bite as my Pagid. R-29's.

TMO Supporting Vendors