The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

PCV Catch Can System Design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all

I'm writing seeking some help. I've posted before about a friend who's car I've been working on with him. This winter we finished a motor build and had the car tuned on a chassis dyno. It made about 480 horses on a 93 octane tune.IMG_7763.JPG

We got her to the track last weekend and she ran fantastic but got into trouble. After about ten minutes on track started smoking a little blue smoke out of the tail pipe. After we came into the pits had a little oil dripping. After some investigation we found that there was oil in the cold air intake and the air filter was soaked in oil. We then realized that the oil was over filled so we took out a bit more than a quart then went back out after cleaning things up.

Went out again and the same thing. We were thinking perhaps there was a ring issue or head gasket issue as a result of increased crank case pressure. He got home and did leak down test and compression test and all are normal! The tuner said sometimes these motor need a more robust catch can system. After researching a little I did find some photos of cars with beefier systems like this.
IMG_7904.JPG

So what do you guys know about these systems and what would you recommend we install?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jake

That looks like a nice system!! Is this type of thing common?

He bought the car last year and goal is to do an AER event this year. Here is a quick video of the first dyno pull. It was a short pull but the thing is a beast.(I tried but it won't upload)

IMG_7491.JPG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Same problem here.
I made a baffled breather tank and later added another sump to it.
Things are roughly under control now.

16997720_10155037542198535_1395823378857533133_n.jpg

Is there a way to check if a pcv valve is bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replace it. Cheap part.
You can check for vacuum resistance or simply change it.

PCV Valve - Ford (4L2Z-6A666-BA) $17.87 from Ford

or

Auto Zone $9.99.

This sounds good. We will replace it then fab up a catch can. The Watson one is back ordered... of course it's track season so no time to delay!!!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
One thing I can report, is that my engine oil stays cleaner, longer with my then "BMO" custom Peterson crankcase vent can.

Zero oil vapor in my IM and zero burnt oil carbon deposits in my intake valve. Glad I installed it early in my U-Code's life.

No oil vapor fumes at all, (per Wifie), and maintenance clean out is every 2 years, or about 10,000 miles.

Very happy,
302 Hi Pro

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/302HiPro/media/20151227_192131_zpsuvsmlaci.jpg.html]20151227_192131_zpsuvsmlaci.jpg [/URL]

Last edited:
Out of all the systems/options, the Peterson is the only one that completely removes all oil vapor from the intake. The others just catch some of it. Some do it better that others; the Ford Performance is by far the best designed and truly engineered of the online systems.Ron Ewert, the same engineer that worked on the 2016 Cobra Jet power plant, really sweated the details from the screen design to the lid gasket. Tons of testing as well.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@jpt3 yes, the Watson-style system is very common if you are seriously tracking the car. I have one on my race car and it works well. Just spend the money and never worry about it again.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel