The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pemberton to retire from the Car Business after 30+ years!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Congratulations Bill!! Hopeful that your retirement plans include a bucket list of tracks out west, a la Kona Bob. Would love to join up with you on some SoCal track days, and would gladly help change tires on your Boss!!

Well, good for you, after 32 years as a firefighter I did the same thing 10 years ago, it was, as you say, bittersweet, but I left, and I'm sure you will as well, with the knowledge that I did the best I could, met a many a new friend, developed relationships , but it was time to go. In my case, us old school guys had been basically obsoleted, the old adage, if you quit learning, you quit living, is only partially true, you really do get sort of pushed out in the end. When I left, you could've turned off the lights and I was out, 10 days later, I had a job with Phoenix..(right place, right time) the same will happen to you, you will expand your knowledge base, do more things that you used to do as a hobby, spend more time with the family, and keep learning new things. It sounds like you are fortunate in that the folks you worked for still want you around in an adviser capacity, and you can maintain ties there. I also started helping a local college and their spec SAE car. There's plenty of o[opportunities out there and I'm sure you will find many that suit you.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It will be bittersweet Blacksheep, as I pushed hard to help some of our new Salespeople to embrace change and to continue to learn new things daily. I will miss the teaching experience as much as anything, along with the daily times chatting with customers and friends, but I started getting more active with our local SCCA group and the Central Region of NASA , so along with places to hang out like TMO, I am looking to stay busy. My wife and I volunteer at our Church ( downtown Omaha) with a very active Food Bank and the dang near 1 acre yard always needs mowing ,ha.

I really hope to make plenty of track events , so like all of us I am hoping the Covid Pandemic is easing up, and practicing all the safety measures ---- was a Pharmaceutical Rep years back and work with folks in Infectious Disease Hospitals and situations. Sure appreciate you being on the front lines for so many years. Have friends who were Firefighters and I think few really truly understand the extreme risks , stress , etc. the job entails!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Been a funny last few days as my phone is blowing up and a bunch of folks want vehicles ( remember we have 18 Stores at Woodhouse.com ) . Now don't be a hater , but I work out of the Chrysler, Dodge , Jeep, Ram Store since for years I was the Mgr. for Vipers and SRT, but no worries as I always got flak there because I also sold many Performance Fords. Heh, my mom was a Ford , so it was only natural, haha.

Anyway, it reminds me of whenever my wife and I wanted to go on vacation, the phone would ring incessantly and drive her nuts. It often continued into the vacation , but it finally got to the point where she accepted it. Confined in the house together she has been laughing at how busy Monday and Tuesday have been because she doesn't think I will retire with all this sales pandemonium. I keep telling her that it will be fun after I stop since then I can just help fellow racers by recommending a solid store, good salesman, etc. - then both Woodhouse and I look good , even though I am not there.

I have loved working , but I gave up a lot of track time and I need to get the laps taken before I am no longer able , so I think she is starting to believe I will actually retire. Yet, we both find it funny now that it is time to leave I am getting hammered ---- so thanks to all of you for helping keep me busy all these years! June 1st will be here before I know it!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No worries GB899, I just follow the link on TMO to TireRack for tires , haha. Sorry, couldn't resist, but you have been a friend for 25+ years so you can tell my feeble attempts at humor have not improved with age.

Bill,Best of luck in the new phase of your life...You are one of the lucky few who can retire from a career that you loved and in turn was good to you! Retirement ain't that bad, especially when you have a fast Stang to keep you occupied....How do I know this?????????..I know your commitment to Woodhouse and everything that went with that took a lot of your tyme over the years, but I know you enjoyed every minute of it!......Now, us poor slobs at TMO have to deal with you FULL tyme....Jump on board....The retirement boat is leaving the dock soon...with that bus you guys enjoy so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Went out to check the mail three times and thought they were running really late. The last time I got to the box my neighbor asked , " What are you looking for Bill?" I looked over and commented, " The damn mail is super late today and I can't figure out why?" No surprise, now, he looked at me with a sly smile and said, " Well, it could have something to do with the fact that today is Sunday?!" Yep, time to retire , geez!! Had to laugh at myself but this damn Covid Cabin Fever has gotten alot of us mixed up on what the Hell day it is and add in the Geritol Factor and it can get downright ridiculous -- ok, it was damn funny!

Will be retired tomorrow, June 1st - not a day too late!!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Before I retired my financial adviser asked me what day of the week I spent the most money. I had to stop and think since I probably spent too much money any day. But I answered, "Saturday".

He simply responded with "When you retire, everyday is Saturday"

It definitely hasn't affected my spending but I always love telling my friends that line.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, Coz, Autos were always my Coz to poz ! Many of us know the love, the passion, the excitement of the automobile is an inanimate desire that is akin to the love we may even have for humanoid live forms. It is irrational, nuts , and on a rational plane, silly, but damn I do often lust after my 4 wheeled mistress. They guy that hired me ( Bob Woodhouse ) worked on me 5 years because he knew I was enamored with fast cars and though I questioned my sanity for a couple of years, I would not change it for the World. Met alot of other kindred spirits and there is a strange bond as " Car Guys," are supremely honest and straightforward with each other. There is a trust in the community few want to break or lose, so regardless of other feelings they stay tight with their crazy love of this wondrous piece of man made machinery.

Could have written a short note, but I was blessed my job and hobby simply became one!!!!

Funny, TMS, Bob and I both started out Autocrossing and he jumped into Road Racing in the late 90s, moving up to World Challenge after running in Viper Days ( he road raced and I ran Viper Time Trials ). He had a solid racing career, and retired from the store he started about 11 years ago. His partner bought him out , and the Stores continued to grow...........been a fun place to work and play for me and now I hope to do more playing.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel