The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Perfect Track Day !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couple of vids at Sebring on Friday the 13Th, guess we had good luck, it was perfect weather ;D

Best lap was 2:36, about eight or ten seconds faster then pre-Miller times but I had hoped to see something a little better. Still had a great day so it does not matter, the whole purpose of this thread is just to stick it to the northern guys under three feet of snow :p

Second session about 10AM, few clean laps, had very few of them. Never ran with so many cars on track, there were three times more cars then I had ever seen.

Still getting use to the new brake lines here as you will hear. Sorry for the camera noise, it is not the smoothest track.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t7H9t7juvg[/youtube]

Fourth run.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waBe4N_dUBk[/youtube]

Last run in traffic behind Peter's white Boss.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOWeLLzZsQ0[/youtube]

Sounds like you had a great day. Sebring is always fun and anytime under 2:40 is fast. I may be in the minority but, I try not to get too caught up in laptimes. I think they detract from the fun more often than not. That's just me, what do I know?

I do know I Wish I was out there with you! Maybe some other time.

Looking good. How much of a difference did the brake lines make?

Badhorse said:
Sounds like you had a great day. Sebring is always fun and anytime under 2:40 is fast. I may be in the minority but, I try not to get too caught up in laptimes. I think they detract from the fun more often than not. That's just me, what do I know?

I do know I Wish I was out there with you! Maybe some other time.

I am not too hung up on times but looking over the tapes is the only way to see improvement, if any :) I have gotten to the point of knowing more or less when my best times were but sometimes it still surprises you. I had thought my fifth then second runs were best, turns out my best two laps were in the fourth session. It was a fun day and I was able to pull of about 11-12 laps under the 2:40. Can't wait to try out the R comps but still need some time to get to the "edge" of street tires.

5 DOT 0 said:
How much of a difference did the brake lines make?

It made a big difference and in a way I miss the give of the factory lines. It was easy to set off the ABS with the new lines but after I got use to them it got better. I do not regret using the factory lines up to now at all. There is plenty to learn as a beginner without adding in the the use of lines like this (IMO only). I am sure as time goes on I will get comfortable with the new lines and not want to turn back.

I was there on Saturday and Sunday. Had a blow out and the end of the back straight under braking at 130mph + Got it fixed and ran whole day Sunday. to much fun........ ;D ;D ;D ;D

2012YellowBoss said:
5 DOT 0 said:
How much of a difference did the brake lines make?

It made a big difference and in a way I miss the give of the factory lines. It was easy to set off the ABS with the new lines but after I got use to them it got better. I do not regret using the factory lines up to now at all. There is plenty to learn as a beginner without adding in the the use of lines like this (IMO only). I am sure as time goes on I will get comfortable with the new lines and not want to turn back.
Yep you and I are following the same path I'm just further behind you. :D I figure I'll upgrade to the SS brake lines the next time I change my brake fluid.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looks like fun! I always forget how bumpy Sebring is, it really shows during the 12 hour race at night where you can see various cars' headlights bouncing all over the place.

The last video you posted was the "best" one, with the other cars on track it really gives the viewer a sense of the relative speed you're running at, looking quick!

Just watched your videos on you tube. Your driving is really good. You have that track down and your car looks great.

The Boss is such a great track car. My hat is off to Ford for making the Boss.

BadHorse, that was PBOC. Mostly very experienced drivers and very well prepared cars. I was one of the least experienced people out there but still had a good time. Normally I try to get away from trains like that with other clubs down here. I felt more comfortable with that crowd running harder and staying in traffic. I learned a lot and when I came in after the last session I was mentally tired and covered in sweat.

ArizonaGT said:
Looks like fun! I always forget how bumpy Sebring is, it really shows during the 12 hour race at night where you can see various cars' headlights bouncing all over the place.

It is a great track and I hope they never change it. For the most part the bumps are small but a few of them you will remember after a few laps. It gives Sebring character. The curbing is another story, you need to learn which ones to stay off since some stick up pretty high. ;D The only thing that could possibly make Sebring better are some altitude changes but I still love being out there the way it is.

bigman18 said:
I was there on Saturday and Sunday. Had a blow out and the end of the back straight under braking at 130mph + Got it fixed and ran whole day Sunday. to much fun

What car were you running?

Badhorse said:
Just watched your videos on you tube. Your driving is really good. You have that track down and your car looks great.

Yea, I think the second part of you comments carry more weight ;D That was only my third time there so I have a loooong way to go. I got spanked today by someone that knows his way around a track, the down shifting before the hair pin was not the correct thing to do. I was going from 5 to 3 to skip the extra heal-toe shift. I thought that was not the best thing to do there and I had trouble getting the car into third, now I know why :embarrassed: Note to self always down shift the gears in order!

adam81 said:
Thanks for posting the vids Scott! See you at VIR in May ;)

Humm, after I learn my way around the local tracks ::) I will try to work my way up there, Road Atlanta is the first stop ;D

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
Badhorse said:

Yea, I think the second part of you comments carry more weight ;D That was only my third time there so I have a loooong way to go. I got spanked today by someone that knows his way around a track, the down shifting before the hair pin was not the correct thing to do. I was going from 5 to 3 to skip the extra heal-toe shift. I thought that was not the best thing to do there and I had trouble getting the car into third, now I know why :embarrassed: Note to self always down shift the gears in order!

adam81 said:
Thanks for posting the vids Scott! See you at VIR in May ;)

Humm, after I learn my way around the local tracks ::) I will try to work my way up there, Road Atlanta is the first stop ;D

HOD has a track weekend at Road Atlanta coming up Feb 18 & 19. It is in conjunction with a vintage racers group that will be practicing on Sat and will have a couple of races on Sunday. HOD will only have two run groups (no beginners) so you will get 3 30 min sessions on Sat and 4 30 min sessions on Sun. It would be a great weekend to come up!

PJWANNABE said:
HOD has a track weekend at Road Atlanta coming up Feb 18 & 19. It is in conjunction with a vintage racers group that will be practicing on Sat and will have a couple of races on Sunday. HOD will only have two run groups (no beginners) so you will get 3 30 min sessions on Sat and 4 30 min sessions on Sun. It would be a great weekend to come up!

Saw that, Henry listed it on Trackweekend. I will make it up there soon but not right now. I still have plenty to work on at my local tracks before I make longer trips. Things are going well and I have put down some decent times lately but still need to work on doing that consistently.

If FL had tracks with some altitude changes I would never have to leave.

TMO Supporting Vendors