The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Perforated block at the track....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouch. So your heads/valves were not damaged?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
"Looks" like the are ok, Getting the heads disassembled now and sent to the machine shop to see if the one hit by the piston is still true. Bits of metal everywhere so lucky the red "idiot" light came on and I turned off the engine. No obvios signs of damage at least, we filled the heads with gas and the valves did not leak.

These are my opinions, I'm no expert, but:

The K1 rods are nice, I have a set in my basement for a future project, the weight shown on the box is 588.1/420.8/164.4g.

I like J&E pistons, I like their skirt coating, and their price, $710. pins, locks and rings included though do not know the of price sent to you.

I wouldn't have a problem using OEM bolts, but you might want to order an extra set of Main bolts for after checking clearances.

Get the Gen2 oil filter mount. The block has 3 holes there versus the 2 holes on the Gen1 block.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
thanks for the tips,,, am leaning towards the JE pistons. Will get the ARP bolts in the end, dont wont to have any doubts in the future LOL!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmm... a gen2 block would mean no more Boss oil/water cooler??? Was planning to run it in series with a 925 series Setrab ( I did get a smaller one in the end, regretting it now)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Did that piston drop out of the bore? It looks like the skirt was pretty well scuffed. Not quite like a seized 2-stroke, but that doesn't look like damage that happened after the big failure.

And what happened to the oil pump? Locked up or shattered?

Strange that the rod looks like it broke in tension. Where's the rest of the connecting rod?

Hmm... a gen2 block would mean no more Boss oil/water cooler??? Was planning to run it in series with a 925 series Setrab ( I did get a smaller one in the end, regretting it now)

I thought all the '15+ Gen2s have a similar oil cooler standard. Not sure if the water plumbing matches.

In the V6L
If the Gen 2 filter adapter takes an FL500 or FL820 filter, then the Boss oil/water cooler should just bolt on. It's just like any other sandwich plate adapter except it's deeper. The long center nipple that screws into the block adapter and is what the filter screws onto holds it all together. I installed one on my 2011 GT when I started tracking it - it was shipped without the center nipple so I ended up with two by the time it was sorted out.

For the massive damage one would have expected a lot of noise but there's none.
What broke? A rod?

It looks like the pistons swelled in the cylinders (the pistons have cracks on the tops) and most of the rods broke in half. The hole was caused by a long section of rod that was swinging around on the crank. After serious consideration, I trashed the entire long block. Bought one of the last Ford Racing short blocks M-6009-A46X, and M-6050-463VP3 (yes, the 6049, too), a couple of mild cams (little more lift, no more overlap), for some reason put the Saleen supercharger back on....

Now I find myself trying to build a supercharged, street car that won't blow up at the track. It's an engineering exercise that has developed a life of it's own. I think I like wrenching more than driving...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ok, thats good to know! One less thing to worry about...

The oil pump has wear from the bits of rod that were all over the place. Looks like I shut the engine off just in time. Should have done it the second I saw a puff of smoke.....

The block has a hole in either side and you can see right through it.... A fair amount of rod made it out to the fresh air!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It looks like the pistons swelled in the cylinders (the pistons have cracks on the tops) and most of the rods broke in half. The hole was caused by a long section of rod that was swinging around on the crank. After serious consideration, I trashed the entire long block. Bought one of the last Ford Racing short blocks M-6009-A46X, and M-6050-463VP3 (yes, the 6049, too), a couple of mild cams (little more lift, no more overlap), for some reason put the Saleen supercharger back on....

Now I find myself trying to build a supercharged, street car that won't blow up at the track. It's an engineering exercise that has developed a life of it's own. I think I like wrenching more than driving...

Ouch... I had better stay far away from blowers then!! Having way too much time in the shop, when I would rather be at the track.....

were those hypertectic (SPL?) pistons? I was reading someplace where they are better than cast but not as good as forged, also known as squeeze cast pistons. I have a set in my 99 with a KB blower at 10psi, and I remember something about them not being too happy about pre ignition..could it be possible you had an octane or pre ignition issue that caused those piston the stick in their bores?
FWIW I pulled a genuine DZ302 Camaro Z28 on a lift with a rod clanking out of the side of the block..wonder what that would be worth today?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Boss pistons are forged unlike the stock ‘99+ hypereutectic slugs. I cracked two ring lands in my ‘00 #3 and #4 only pushing 8 lbs. and a conservative tune. The ‘PI’ engines were pretty sensitive to detonation.

TMO Supporting Vendors