The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Perforated block at the track....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, the car was going as it has never gone before.... till a little hole appeared right next to the base of the oil filter... We will be taking it apart this coming week, And see if we can't have it rebuilt by Aug 18th for the next race.

Puff of smoke in the mirror and loss of power, no strange sounds and engine was idling fine as a coasted to the pits. Oil pressure light came on and I turned off the engine. Will post pics when we have it apart....

Fingers crossed its not too mangled inside......

Bummer on your engine but congratulations on moving up to the Pro Class. You've come a long way since you first started out.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well , since time is short, am already making a list for the worst case....

New Block from Tasca for about $1150 shipped and something like a this Kit ...
https://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/99025136.htm

Though with our gas, am more inclined to keep the compression at 11:1 instead of 11.3:1.

That would come to approx $2750 plus labour for a new short block... (plus about 40% for shipping and duties on the parts.....)

OEM parts would come out to pretty much the same price.

Hoping the heads made it through ok....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thinking about what is the quickest/best way to build the engine again... OEM Boss internals or Manley/ARP etc

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Short blocks take to long and the added cost of duties on top of the labour etc kills me...

Well maybe the CR3Z-6009-D kit would be a fast option

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Do you have a picture of the hole? I think you should know what the problem was before proceeding, but I know that might not be practical.

Based on the rough description, I'm thinking a problem with the oil pump or maybe #1 or #5? I don't recall if you're still running the OEM 'donut' oil cooler... Maybe that broke? And there's nothing serious to fix?

Good luck with the repairs...and sorry to hear the bad news.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks,,, engine is coming out tomorrow and will send pics. Yes still have the OEM cooler and "now" will have time to install the additional setrab .....o_O

The early morning track session gave me two fast laps in a row and I pulled into the pits since oil temps were 290 degrees. Thought it was because I was going faster.... maybe the extra long splitter covering most of the engine kept things hotter?

Would building a block from scratch with Mahle pistons, ARP etc and king bearings be a upgrade over a Boss Shortblock? Still trust my builder (at least till we see inside)!!

Having doubts about re-using the rod cap bolts and roller fingers now.....

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
maybe the extra long splitter covering most of the engine kept things hotter?
Must be the splitter angle. ;) :p

290º is pretty hot for just a couple of laps...might be related to blocking off the underside without additional venting from the hood or fender liners. Might just indicate some other problem with the oil (pumping) or oil cooling systems or cooling capacity.

I don't recall seeing the underside of the splitter or how much it covered.

Would building a block from scratch with Mahle pistons, ARP etc and king bearings be a upgrade over a Boss Shortblock? Still trust my builder (at least till we see inside)!!

Having doubts about re-using the rod cap bolts and roller fingers now.....

I'd doubt everything for now, until seeing the damage and what may have failed.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Splitter goes back covering most of the oil pan, I was hoping the trackspec hood grill would lower temps... Well maybe get to take a peak tonight....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
first pic, will be looking inside tomorrow..... this is the right side... another hole on the other side, same place.....upload_2019-7-15_15-34-16.png

Last edited:
the dragster guys would say " put a window in it"...
In other news, I talked to Joe at Phoenix, he has some engines lying around that are raceable BUT he's hesitant to sell them because he doesn't want somebody to just put them in a car and race them since they have time on them. However, if you need a good long block core they are available.

He also has these available

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6006-M50A1

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks!! I will see the damage tomorrow and see which way we go.. A good long block would be a good way to go if the heads are damaged..! I would understand that they would need to be regarded as used and might warrant rings and bearings etc. Will let you know what we find when its apart.... really appreciate the help!

Would you say that a holed block like mine is salvageable...??

Out of curiosity.... the engines that Phoenix race in the number 33 car are with forged or
Hypereutectic pistons.... or basically the M6006-M50A1 engine you mentioned??

TMO Supporting Vendors