The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Performance Gauge Pack freakout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I bought my Laguna Seca, the supplemental book was missing.
I have one now and it is no help.
The last three times I took her out the performance gauge would not stay turned off.
After a variable amount of time it will come back on and shoot out numbers and flash the LEDs.
The past two weekends didn't offer me a chance to calibrate it.
Last Friday I drove it to work so I could drop by the dealer since it is a CPO car.
Do these things really work, or are they crap?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Racerpilotalan said:
When I bought my Laguna Seca, the supplemental book was missing.
I have one now and it is no help.
The last three times I took her out the performance gauge would not stay turned off.
After a variable amount of time it will come back on and shoot out numbers and flash the LEDs.
The past two weekends didn't offer me a chance to calibrate it.
Last Friday I drove it to work so I could drop by the dealer since it is a CPO car.
Do these things really work, or are they crap?

I installed this gauge pack in my 12 Boss. I did run thru the menu to check it was functional, but I haven't even calibrated the unit. It just sits there displaying G's.

In time, I plan to install an oil temp gauge. I'll use the Ford Racing branded gauge from AutoMeter to match up with the existing gauge face font, color function, etc.

To me, it more of a gimmick.
302 Hi Pro

I installed the Laguna gauge pod on my YB 2012 as well.

Have quite a bit of seat time with it in my own car as well as in 2012 Laguna Secas and both versions of 2013s and in my experience, the '12 performance gauge is at least as accurate as the multitude of readouts provided by the '13 Track Apps...

I put the Laguna FR gauge pack in my standard '12 Boss. Bought it from Summit Racing. Shortly after, the oil pressure gauge would drop out intermittently and the the other gauges would turn off. I checked sending units and my install (I am one of those working mechanics) and determined the gauge pack was at fault. Got a new unit warrantied from Summit. 2 years later, no issues. I may be mistaken, but gauge pack is just a farmed out auto meter unit. The DPIC gauge seems to have a fair amount of issues. I agree on the DPIC/ performance gauge. More of a gimmick than anything. A clock may have been more useful.

576 said:
I put the Laguna FR gauge pack in my standard '12 Boss. Bought it from Summit Racing. Shortly after, the oil pressure gauge would drop out intermittently and the the other gauges would turn off. I checked sending units and my install (I am one of those working mechanics) and determined the gauge pack was at fault. Got a new unit warrantied from Summit. 2 years later, no issues. I may be mistaken, but gauge pack is just a farmed out auto meter unit. The DPIC gauge seems to have a fair amount of issues. I agree on the DPIC/ performance gauge. More of a gimmick than anything. A clock may have been more useful.

So you don't have to reset the gauge every time you start the car.?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I too installed the Ford Performance LS gauge pod in my 2012 Boss. I've never even attempted to setup the center e-Gauge. I did find the instructions for it in the Boss 302 Supplemental Owners Manual. Might try setting it up before I replace it with a Ford Racing logo AutoMeter oil temp gauge.

When I do get around to installing the oil temp gauge I'm happy that the new gauge font and colors will all match up with my dash gauge fonts and colors.

Fortunately, I haven't experienced any issues with the new gauges.

302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors