The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Performance Mechanic near San Jose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Do it yourself, I do all my stuff in my garage unless it something like the rear diff change. It’s a PITA without the right equipment. As for my experience with Bay Area places, I have not found a Ford Dealer that I’d let put air in my tires in the South Bay or the Peninsula. I’ve heard of a few good ones in Santa Rosa and far East Bay. But that’s a trek.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Byron, that can't be good when you won't let them even put air in your tires. When it comes to performance mods that I cannot or choose not to do myself, I've steered away from Ford related shops and found Mustang specialty shops more competent in my area.

Bay Area
@TymeSlayer when I took my Boss in for the airbag recall. I noticed it had two extra miles on it. I asked them about it and they denied it. Even when I showed the check in mileage & my cell phone pic when I dropped it off. I got it home and did a full inspection and the underside was covered in red paint. They drove it off a red curb. I went back to address it with the director of the dept and he denied it. I showed him all the paint and damage and asked to pull up the camera footage right outside the bay door. He refused and said said his techs would not do that. Plus there are red curbs all around the shop. So they don’t get any love from me.

@TymeSlayer when I took my Boss in for the airbag recall. I noticed it had two extra miles on it. I asked them about it and they denied it. Even when I showed the check in mileage & my cell phone pic when I dropped it off. I got it home and did a full inspection and the underside was covered in red paint. They drove it off a red curb. I went back to address it with the director of the dept and he denied it. I showed him all the paint and damage and asked to pull up the camera footage right outside the bay door. He refused and said said his techs would not do that. Plus there are red curbs all around the shop. So they don’t get any love from me.

🤯 That's allllllll bad. Just reinforces my decision not to take mine to the dealer unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I've been running around with no AC for a year because I don't want them to touch it...I hear Walnut Creek is pretty good though so I might check them out.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Sorry to hear about your experiences. The dealers I work with are great. I usually wait while work is being done. They both hit their times for time in and out of the shop.
Dont give up on dealerships. They are like people, all are a bit different.

I had Campbell Ford Performance do the clutch/flywheel install on my car last year. Overall, I was happy with them. Pricing seemed fair and it got done. (As with most things/shops, it didn't go flawlessly.) But, I would let them work on my car again, if a need arises.

I know they're mainly seen as a BWM shop, but I've used Edge Motorworks for some suspension work on my 350R.
I met the guys from Edge Motorworks about 17 years ago, when I had an E36 M3. Good guys!

Someone recommended Custom Alignment in Mt. View to me for any suspension work/setup for Mustangs.

I've never even heard of Campbell Ford Performance, weird. Anyway I wholeheartedly recommend Custom Alignment in Mtn View. It's the only place I'll go to have tires mounted on expensive rims. And they're track guys who know what they're doing.

Great info guys, thanks.

I went down to Campbell Ford Performance yesterday essentially to conduct an interview and my two primary criteria other than basic competence are (1) will you indulge me in car talk for a while and pretend you care if I exist in general and (2) do you respond to either text or emails and they passed on both accounts. They also provided an estimate to install a exhaust valve controller and catch can as well as a pre-track inspection which all in was quite as roughly 3 hours. A little less. At the shop rate of $140/hr, I felt it was on the high side but if they do a good job and make me feel welcome I can accept that. My other mechanic has a shop rate of $200 and while I would trust them with anything, they’re so busy that it just takes them forever to turnaround a car.

I’ll definitely do some research on the other shops you mentioned, I’ve heard of some but not others.

Custom Alignment absolutely knows what they are doing when it comes to alignment / mounting etc... It's the only place I go for track alignment and will be going to get tires mounted for my new 500.

Bay Area
🤯 That's allllllll bad. Just reinforces my decision not to take mine to the dealer unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I've been running around with no AC for a year because I don't want them to touch it...I hear Walnut Creek is pretty good though so I might check them out.
I have a good AC guy over here in my area. Shops just down the street from my house and I have taken my M3 and old Boss to him. Every time I stop into his shop with my G wagen, the owner either tells me what to do it or fixes it on the fly. My last visit I even stated, one day you will take my money. Haha!!!! Let me know if you want his contact info.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bay Area, CA
I'm actually in the San Jose area myself, and I make the drive out to Sonoma Raceway to get all my track-prep stuff done that I can't do myself (alignments, larger installs, etc.)
There's a guy there named Trent - very fair labor prices, does excellent quality work, basically only works on GT/GT350/GT500s. He should be able to get you sorted on mostly everything you'd need when it comes to track duty.
About an hour hike to Sonoma, but well worth it in my opinion!

Anyone in the San Jose, CA area have any experiences or know anything about Campbell Ford Performance http://www.campbellfordperformance.com/

I’m looking for a place to do my pre-track day inspections and install performance mods and other stuff like that. As well as do routine stuff once my GT350 is out of warranty.

are you close to City of Industry, CA

I'm actually in the San Jose area myself, and I make the drive out to Sonoma Raceway to get all my track-prep stuff done that I can't do myself (alignments, larger installs, etc.)
There's a guy there named Trent - very fair labor prices, does excellent quality work, basically only works on GT/GT350/GT500s. He should be able to get you sorted on mostly everything you'd need when it comes to track duty.
About an hour hike to Sonoma, but well worth it in my opinion!

does he work at a shop or am I just looking for a sign that says Trent?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel