The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Performance Pack Torsen Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlqx

Mustangless
SCGT500 said:
The noise was clearly "at" the diff. More toward the drivers side of diff. From underneath you could watch the driveshaft and half shaft "ratchet" as the wheel was moved forward and reverse.

Won't do it at all now.

Only did it after a long hot track run.

Not at the wheel at all.

Do you have any indication what the diff temperature was at the time?

I would try to pop the diff cover off, or pay them to do it and then replace it under warranty - if it's damaged. When you get a noise like that and it disappears, it doesn't mean it "fixed itself" as much as we all want it to be true!
You may have lost a few teeth or damaged something else.

I have a business card from a top Ford engineer he handed to me personally and said if I ever had an issue or question....

I'll be emailing or calling him soon to get his advice in this situation...

I think if I said his name a few of you may know him. Hope it helps. :(

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
That is a good idea. I noticed on your video, someone, (a male voice), can be heard asking a question about removing the CAI and Tune? You might want to edit that comment prior to sending it to Ford Motor Company.

I'm sure he is talking about a different car, but a third party might think that comment is about your car.

Just a thought,
302 Hi Pro

Good thought. I haven't shared the video yet. By law it shouldn't matter because the CAI doesn't directly effect the rear differential.

I'm hoping by sending the gear oil report to the Ford Engineer he can direct me to what step to proceed with if anything.

SCGT500 said:
Wondering if anyone has heard any issues with factory installed Torsens in the last couple years?

Ended up with a bad ratcheting sound in my diff over the weekend and thinking something has come loose in the Torsen diff. :(

Less than 5000 miles on the car.

Well since changing to Royal Purple and running at the track a couple more times, havent had the noise reoccur.

On 3rd diff fluid change (before track runs) and at almost 10,000 miles. :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Good news and thanks for the follow-up. Perhaps that 55 min session was a bit much for the factory fill. Good chance the fluid simply overheated and failed.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I have a noise going on that sounds like this was described. It only happens on left hand corners and the noise seems to be coming from the right side only. Definitely ratcheting noise. I am using RedLine 75W140 diff fluid, have had no problems with it until now but it's been in there for 3-4 years so maybe it's just unable to do the job anymore. Have a new batch on order, that stuff is hard to get around here. I just did a complete brake job, new rotors and pads all around, but I can't see how that could be involved. Probably need to be doing a yearly diff fluid change, these rear ends run hot. Perhaps a diff cooler is in order as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I have a noise going on that sounds like this was described. It only happens on left hand corners and the noise seems to be coming from the right side only. Definitely ratcheting noise. I am using RedLine 75W140 diff fluid, have had no problems with it until now but it's been in there for 3-4 years so maybe it's just unable to do the job anymore. Have a new batch on order, that stuff is hard to get around here. I just did a complete brake job, new rotors and pads all around, but I can't see how that could be involved. Probably need to be doing a yearly diff fluid change, these rear ends run hot. Perhaps a diff cooler is in order as well.
3-4 year change interval is pretty long if it sees any track time. I'm on the cautious side. I change diff and tranny at least annually. Oil is cheaper than transmissions and rear diffs. Hope fluid quiets it back down, but if the damage has been the life has been shortened. Good luck sorting it back out.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
3-4 year change interval is pretty long if it sees any track time. I'm on the cautious side. I change diff and tranny at least annually. Oil is cheaper than transmissions and rear diffs. Hope fluid quiets it back down, but if the damage has been the life has been shortened. Good luck sorting it back out.
For sure, I've bumped that up on my maintenance list to at least yearly now. I have no doubt that this rear end is likely not going to last as long as it otherwise would after this. It might even be toast already, won't know until I get it back out there.

Funny thing, I used to get axle overheat warnings on hot days until I changed the diff lube to the RedLine stuff. I haven't had one since I did that. So I think the lack of those warnings just let the whole diff maintenance thing slide off of my radar as a maintenance issue. It's back now for sure.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Old thread but good point about changing diff fluid way more often than under warranty/maintenance schedule. Being in the automotive business for decades and hanging around track bozos this century and last, changing fluids religiously for track addicts should be gospel. I can count a large majority of rear end issues being caused from track, strip, autocross, etc. usage to failing to treat the diff with the same respect as the motor. Rational thought should tell us all it is not just the solid torque of our cars but the extreme lateral forces many of us now see running Gummi Bears for tires. I always thought it interesting when I had my Boss 302S that Ford Performance suggested changing the diff as often as the engine oil.

TMO Supporting Vendors