The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Performix Plasti-Dip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My son just tried this rubber-like covering called Performix Plasti-Dip. Supposedly car customizers are covering full cars with this stuff which is available either as a spray or in a gallon. He's trying it out on his winter rims for his M3. The material is safe for all paint surfaces and easily peels away when you want to remove it but is pretty tough from an impact protection standpoint. I was considering trying it out as an inexpensive clear-bra substitute at the track for the front edge of the hood and front bumper. Since it peels off easily I figure it can't hurt to try it out. They have a limited color selction as well as a clear and a secondary glossy coat. As you can see it the pic of the winter tires, my son opted for the ever popular (with the younger crowd ;D ) matte black.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

IMG_20121201_111944.jpg
IMG_20121201_111906.jpg

I've read a lot of good things about plasti dip and may cover my Enkei track wheels with it using the gunmetal gray.

I know a bunch of people who use it, mostly to cover up chrome in grills and trim, or on wheels. You need to peel it and reapply every once in a while with the rims is my understanding, or anywhere that gets hit with rocks and stuff. Like any "paint," it will either look good or like complete junk depending how well it is prepped and applied.

I used this on my Enkei wheels as only silver was available when I bought them, and I wanted black to due to all the brake dust. Now that the season has ended, I just had the wheels powder coated flat black. The Plasti-Dip actually worked well and was cheap, versus the powder coating. They would get nicked up both on the track and when I install new tires, but the touch up was simple by just spraying the areas needing it. I struggled with the decision to keep using the Plasti-Dip or powder coat and opted for the powder coating as I am lazy and want to avoid the touch up work.

Not sure I would use this on my car though. I use black duct tape each track session to protect areas I do not have clear bra on. I also use the duck tape to cover tough to clean areas were bugs end up and is challenging to clean out. The duck tape is nice because it is very easy to pull off after the track session.

I've seen pics of people who paint the whole car. Can look okay if done properly but I would be scared to spray on MY paint.

LS110 said:
I used this on my Enkei wheels as only silver was available when I bought them, and I wanted black to due to all the brake dust. Now that the season has ended, I just had the wheels powder coated flat black. The Plasti-Dip actually worked well and was cheap, versus the powder coating. They would get nicked up both on the track and when I install new tires, but the touch up was simple by just spraying the areas needing it. I struggled with the decision to keep using the Plasti-Dip or powder coat and opted for the powder coating as I am lazy and want to avoid the touch up work.

Not sure I would use this on my car though. I use black duct tape each track session to protect areas I do not have clear bra on. I also use the duck tape to cover tough to clean areas were bugs end up and is challenging to clean out. The duck tape is nice because it is very easy to pull off after the track session.

Duct tape or painter's tape? Duct tape is the rubbery one, painter's tape is the papery (usually blue) one. I would think duct tape would leave residue and be hard to get off.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
It does, especially in hot weather. I used to use it just to cover my headlight lenses on my TTS. Always had to follow up with bug & tar.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
As long as you put on enough coats (4 to 6) it peels off very easily and doesn't hurt the paint.

If you are using tape, try painters tape under the duct tape. Painters tape leaves no residue but it might not be thick enough to protect the thin paint on these cars by itself (every rubber booger I took off my car left tiny scratches without tape, so it is not very durable paint). I used it on an Evo for track days (another car with thin paint) and it worked great by itself, though. We don't have glass headlights so it being not really sticky enough to hold in broken shards of glass isn't an issue.

The duct tape does leave a little bit of residue but it comes off very easily with WD40, and easier than removing a lot of bugs. Plus it protects extremely well against stones.

Sesshomurai

I'm thinking of using this on some powder coated wheels and then peel it off later. Will it adhere to powder coating?
If there is some plastidip on the wheels that is not 4+ layers deep, how do you get that small amount off? Is there a process for removing it easily besides peel?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
As long as its not a matte finish it will be removable. The surface needs to be smooth. If its thin (only a couple of coats) it will still come off but it will not come off in big pieces.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Depending on how coarse the surface is it may be removable but it may also be a pain to get it all off.

TMO Supporting Vendors