The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Phoenix at SCCA runoffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Man, the 33 car digs and rotates on the gas, Rob.

You *sure* that you actually run springs under the back of the thing :p:p:p??
The Porsche is faster down the straights, but the Mustang blows it away coming off the corners, as long as you can use the torque of the V8 , and get it to the ground, it makes all the difference. That's what I keep preaching to people on here, but they can't grasp that a car on 3 wheels will out handle a car on 4.. lol

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Man, the 33 car digs and rotates on the gas, Rob.

You *sure* that you actually run springs under the back of the thing :p:p:p??
The #31 doesn't look much different. A lot of people run the back of Mustangs with quite a bit of rear spring, but these cars don't look as if they're following that approach.

sfo
The #31 doesn't look much different. A lot of people run the back of Mustangs with quite a bit of rear spring, but these cars don't look as if they're following that approach.

Looks way different to me it. Maybe 31 being 4cylinder can’t put power down because it does not have any? I don’t think 31 is a three wheeler but I could be wrong

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
the 31 is an S550, so it's operating under different setup criteria. and, it's a 4 banger.
S55

Ya, there's the obvious difference of the S197 vs. S550, so it couldn't be 'the same'. I just went back and watched the T-3 race, again. I had remembered the pace lap front shot where they were warming tires and it looked like the #31 had quite a bit of roll. The race didn't have a lot of great coverage of the car, but it definitely keeps the inside front on the ground better than the T-1 car, so I take that comment of mine back. Having said that, it's also leaving stripes out of T13 where the T-1 car was really getting a good drive, so maybe there's an argument for a setup direction that's more along the lines of the #33 car?

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
The Porsche is faster down the straights, but the Mustang blows it away coming off the corners, as long as you can use the torque of the V8 , and get it to the ground, it makes all the difference. That's what I keep preaching to people on here, but they can't grasp that a car on 3 wheels will out handle a car on 4.. lol
It's easy enough to see where a car on 3 wheels could outrun a car on 4 . . . which is really the only thing that matters in a race as long as it doesn't demand more of the driver than he can supply to the task for the duration of the event.

Where are you guys finding those videos? Will they be up on the SCCA Runoffs page?

Norm

It's easy enough to see where a car on 3 wheels could outrun a car on 4 . . . which is really the only thing that matters in a race as long as it doesn't demand more of the driver than he can supply to the task for the duration of the event.

Where are you guys finding those videos? Will they be up on the SCCA Runoffs page?

Norm
yes SCCA.com, or just Duckduckgo 2021 SCCA runoffs

sfo

Norm

There's all 27 races

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal

Norm
Norm,

Could you elaborate on your emphasis of the word 'outrun'. You're saying something which I'm too dense to grasp.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Yeah, learning to drive ‘the fast way’ is hard. Or we’d all be driving like AJ.

That's what I keep preaching to people on here
That would require understanding. You can explain things to people. Just can’t understand it for them.

Like you’ve explained about setting tire pressures…few if any seem to really use or understand it.

Thanks for these Phoenix updates.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel