The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Phoenix Performance Boss 302 fastest mustang at Barber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like the Phoenix Performance Boss 302 is running well at Barber. Fastest Mustang in the first session with Kurt Rezzetano at the wheel. Kurt is a mechanic for the team. Kurt's a good shoe but this will be his first pro- race. He and Andrew Aquilante built the car from a body in white. So what we have are a couple young guys ( about 25 years old each ) who built a Boss 302 drove it down to Barber and so far are the fastest Boss out there. 3rd fastest over all. Pretty impressive!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That's a promising start to the weekend. I hope you guys do as well in quali and the race! Keep it clean out there!

I read on Grand-Am's site that Barber was resurfaced and the grip there should be phenomenal there this year, perhaps at a trade off to tire wear.

Cool but we need photos! Good luck this weekend.

Congratulations!!!
I'll be out there Friday and Saturday. If you're not too busy I'll stop by and say hi. Will try to get some more action shots. Not easy now. The IRL fence is so high that it blocks the view from almost all good photo spots.
Good luck in the race!!
-- Jim

Unfortunately the BMW's have been looking strong so far. There are no Mustangs in the top 10 on the starting grid :( spots 11 and 12 are the Roush cars, followed by the Phoenix Boss.

ArizonaGT said:
I read on Grand-Am's site that Barber was resurfaced and the grip there should be phenomenal there this year, perhaps at a trade off to tire wear.

http://www.grand-am.com/News/GA_News/tabid/141/Article/53445/how-much-faster-will-barber-be.aspx?cid=6383&sid=1

The track's asphalt surface is another story. The pavement has been diamond-cut since the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series last competed at the facility in March 2012.

Mark White, Barber Motorsports Park's manager and head of operations, said the process required 11 days to complete using a pair of sleds employing diamond blades which effectively sanded down an aging surface.

While it is nice to have a track like Sebring close to me, it would be nice to have a track close like Barber that continues to upgrade it's facility.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Was there any more regulation (weight, power restriction, etc) applied to the Mustangs after the Daytona win? Even at Daytona, Roush just barely managed to bring it home...

Don't think, so last I heard it was 55MM and rev limit at 7500. Using the new brake setup cost them a penalty, I think that is extra weight.

http://www.grand-am.com/Mobile/NewsDetail/tabid/266/Article/53449/aquilante-capitalizes-on-drying-track-at-barber-posts-fastest-lap-in-final-ctsc.aspx?cid=1&sid=1

MediaHandler_zps35317b03.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Anyways keep it clean out there, guys; last year's race was a real bloodbath. I'm sure the Mustang won't recover as well bouncing through the grass like the STI did a few years back (awesome to watch on TV, however).

GA
ArizonaGT said:
Anyways keep it clean out there, guys; last year's race was a real bloodbath. I'm sure the Mustang won't recover as well bouncing through the grass like the STI did a few years back (awesome to watch on TV, however).

I was there in the stands last year. That first hour at full caution seemed a lot longer than it does on TV. ;)

YellowBoss said:
Don't think, so last I heard it was 55MM and rev limit at 7500. Using the new brake setup cost them a penalty, I think that is extra

Seems like Grand Am is going the route of SCCA and handicapping the Mutstangs to the point there no longer competitive. :mad:

PJWANNABE said:
I was there in the stands last year. That first hour at full caution seemed a lot longer than it does on TV. ;)

Yea, last year pretty much sucked if you were a Ford fan. I won't be going this year either. I was planing on going to the Road Atlanta race but with the Sequestration furloughs coming, i doubt I'll be making that one either.

BossJockey said:
Seems like Grand Am is going the route of SCCA and handicapping the Mutstangs to the point there no longer competitive. :mad:

Don't worry, the Mustangs will be ok. If not this race we'll get em next time.

Just takes patience guys... Our plan today is simple, we don"t have the fastest car yet, so we wii hang close for 8 innings and think of something...

Yesterday was a good day. The boys, Kurt and AJ keep working on the car and it keeps getting faster as we narrow the gap to the fastest Mustangs. We are making progress... Its great watching two 25 year old kids make this thing work.

Young Kurt is doing well and AJ is relentless in his approach to handling.. Making a Mustang fast in the rain is pretty cool.

Lots of tough, well funded competition out there... The BMW's, Astens and Porsches are all handled by good teams and have seasoned drivers..

We had 4 years of figuring out Brand S... We are in our second race with the Mustang. i am pleased with our progress, but not happy yet.

The mustang is a great car. Ford has done an excellent job developing this platform and suspension. Many thanks to the guys at Ford Racing for all their hard work and assistance to us!!! Fords is a great American car company!

We just need to keep tweaking it and juggling the components to make it suit the track!!!

Thanks to everyone for the many kind words and support!!

We appreciate it all!!

Joe

The continental tire race is painful to watch. Again Boss 302 has no hope of a win, looks like we'd have a chance at the title as long every race was at Daytona.

Notes from Barber

Finished 12th. A top 10 would've been nice but we were unable to execute, we had a mustang driver (several laps down, that got his car fixed and was therefore very similar in performance to us), in front of us for about the last 20 minutes. Brett Spaude in a Porsche , a lap down waved us right by, but not the Mustang driver ..SRSLY....dude! WTHeck? That most likely kept us out of the top 10.
Also the rumor is NOT true that the jack handle was bent when the jackman hit me in the head with it on the second pit stop..it was already bent.
Yellow Jacket, thanks for the pics, it was good to meet you.
Mustangs finished 9, 11th and 12th Roush, Click (Roush maintained) and us.
There seems to be some discussion about taking some of the restrictions off the mustang in the near future.
Kurt "front tire changer" Rezzetano can find the gas pedal and makes a good team mate for Andrew, this was his first time in this car and this track..ZOOM ZOOM! now all we need is funding.
Also...http://www.grand-am.com/News/GA_News/tabid/141/Article/53449/aquilante-capitalizes-on-drying-track-at-barber-posts-fastest-lap-in-final-ctsc.aspx?cid=6384&sid=2

TMO Supporting Vendors