The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Phoenix pulls out of last two GS races

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can you tell us why?

Bummer.

You guys, as the rest of the 302R teams, have had speed. Everybody is getting held back by little ankle biting problems.

Plans for 2015?

NFSBOSS said:
Can you tell us why?

Well, and some of this is my opinion, it costs us about $160k to run the last 2 races, I don't think we're seeing the return on our investment that we'd like with regards to tv, also IMSA has given us (in particular us) hell in the tech shed (kansas as an example) there's also added expenses of having the car arrive a day ahead of time and other little niggling things that add up over the full year and really impacts expenses. I'm sure there's some other things, Conti has been handed over to the old ALMS crowd and we've seen what a great job they've done there, which BTW last check there were only 15 GS cars interred for COTA so the class is starting to dwindle. This is unfortunate because it is ..was the premier road racing class in the US but you can't keep charging guys 3200 entry fees...1400 per set of tires (x 10) requiring the transporter to show up early (hotel and salary) and keep bleeding the competitors

It's kind of a heartbreaker we had the fastest pit times in the series, the guys worked real hard, it's just one of those racin' deals you're only an e-mail away from not having a job. I know I'm a true racing professional since I've been canned twice in one season...lol

hopefully most of us will be on someone's short list for next year....

Which BTW means I'm again available for track days :)

blacksheep-1 said:
It's kind of a heartbreaker we had the fastest pit times in the series, the guys worked real hard, it's just one of those racin' deals you're only an e-mail away from not having a job. I know I'm a true racing professional since I've been canned twice in one season...lol

hopefully most of us will be on someone's short list for next year....

Which BTW means I'm again available for track days :)
What about the club racing side of Phoenix? Is that holding it's own? I mean on the business end.

orng302 said:
What about the club racing side of Phoenix? Is that holding it's own? I mean on the business end.

No worries, that's their bread and butter, they're taking about 5 cars to the runoffs. I would like to point out this is NOT a financial issue, Phoenix and has just completed another race car and has a corvette in the works. It's more of a decision to focus on a series that's more competitor friendly, and that 1 year of CTSCC is equal to 2 years of WC with the same amount of coverage , exposure and track time per driver.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
blacksheep-1 said:
No worries, that's their bread and butter, they're taking about 5 cars to the runoffs. I would like to point out this is NOT a financial issue, Phoenix and has just completed another race car and has a corvette in the works. It's more of a decision to focus on a series that's more competitor friendly, and that 1 year of CTSCC is equal to 2 years of WC with the same amount of coverage , exposure and track time per driver.
Rob are they going Pirelli World Challenge next year?

Georgia
blacksheep-1 said:

I get it, but it is still unfortunate that the CTSCC series is dwindling down... maybe someone will "wake up" and see reality. Hope the team does at least do WC next year!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
Rob are they going Pirelli World Challenge next year?

Same question!

Those fields seem to be growing, and FAST! I'm hoping the bang-for-the-buck there is better for you guys. Good luck!

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Yes, very cool. Hope Barber picks up the WC race on Indy race weekend like they did this year.... and hope y'all make it down here. Really enjoyed talking with you at the last Grand AM race that was held here.

I have to tell you guys the "blacksheep fanclub" is one of the things I really enjoy at the track, all the guys like it and we always try to accommodate people that drop by.

TMO Supporting Vendors