The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Photo from header shows a dark number 8 exhaust port

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The car was up on the lift installing MT82 number 5 ( no comment!), when the mechanic noticed that the number 8 exhaust port was much darker then the next.

upload_2018-9-24_0-15-6.png

Will do a compression check and move the coils around a bit too see if it improves! Should I feel as worried as I do?? Not burning smoke and the car was strong at the last race.... And off to the track on Saturday......

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think it's worth further investigation. The compression check should be good enough, IMO. I never like seeing differences in the ports. Can't say I ever looked for differences on the header side.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks guys, doing the compression test today and I will ask Shawn at AED about number 8.
Now that you mentioned it, seem to remember reading some where the AED does run number 8 richer to keep the temps down.

Using the Thread Tools you can edit thread titles. :) I think I spelled it correctly.

FWIW the #8 cylinder is the most popular to go boom. As @TMSBOSS stated i wouldn't be surprised if your tuner set it up a bit rich.

When mine blew #8 it was either too lean of a fuel mixture or I dropped a valve. Due to the massive holes in the crank I always leaned towards dropping a valve but it was never determined what the cause was.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol!!! Funny guy!! o_O

this just in from Shaun.....

"For all motor cars we do not change fueling on individual cylinders, we leave it as Ford programmed, which if memory serves is a little richer on #8.

We also pull timing on #8 compared to the other cylinders on pump gas applications."

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Reading that again.... amazing magic they can do now... pulling timing on a individual cylinder! Or am I as old as I feel?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Reading that again.... amazing magic they can do now... pulling timing on a individual cylinder! Or am I as old as I feel?

A lot of control like that was already available from SCT when I was tuning my 2000. I was doing the bulk of it in '02 or '03. Powerful stuff if you really dig into it, even back then.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Looks like rain and the race postponed till mid October.... oh well..... I guess that means I can port the Boss Manifold :)o_O

I kind of like running in the rain, but the chance of accidentes goes through the roof..

Running in the rain will surely teach you how your car handles and how to handle your car. It is all about finesse. Rain is definetly the great equalizer. I recently ran in a pouring rain race and turned the third fastest lap time. If you have the opportunity, do it. It will be a great learning experience, especially if it is a track day and you can learn at your own pace. What you learn will carry over to race day and you just might be surprised.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
2019 rules just came out... they will only cancel a race if it snows Lol... Suits me well, I spent a significant part of my life driving in snow here in the cordillera. Lots of fun!!

Still remember a life changing moment when I was 13 years old and the gokart track we used to go to was closed due to a torrential thunder storm... We begged the owner to let us have a try and he let us go...... Is a memory that's etched in my brain.

So you understand what I am talking about.
You're feeling it.
Too many are afraid to race in the rain, but thet don't know what they are missing.
Just do it and learn.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

TMO Supporting Vendors