The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Picking an EPASS rack for conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm about to install an EPASS rack in my 08GT prior to my coyote install. I have the option of a 19 or a 20" wheel rack but I run 18's normally. I do open track events and drive the car weekly. Which would put the rack closest to what the Boss 302r/motorsport rack?

I'm running the 11-13 harness built in, what harness are you talking about? And would love to run the 302r rack but its $1200 vs the $150.00 GT rack I picked up.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
It's my guess that Ford specifies the wheel diameter for the correct ball joint height. If you plan to use a bumpsteer kit you can likely ignore the original factory wheel diameter suggestion, since you'd be replacing the tie rod ends and recalibrating that yourself. One comment is to make sure you pick up an EPAS rack from either a 2013 or 2014 GT. 2011s and early 2012s had issues with the programming that would create wheel shudder with stiffer front lower control arms bushings (anything replacing the soft hydraulic bushing behind the wheel well). It was related to the programming for the road crown, where the rack would automatically adjust itself to counteract slight slopes in the road surface. If you had the early racks and aggressively moved the steering wheel back and forth (an autocross slalom motion), the steering wheel would start juddering back and forth almost like a bad video game rumble controller. Ford said they fixed the issue with it sometime in 2012, so getting a 2013 or 2014 rack seems to be the safe bet and, like you said, they're easily found in salvage yards. Sorry for the post in an older thread, just wanted to drop that nugget of info.

TMO Supporting Vendors