The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pics 18in Forgestar, Hankook R-S3 Review at Willow Springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just got back from Willow Spring Big Track. Put on the Hankook R-S3 Tires with forgestar wheels and MM Camber Plates and they performed fantastically!

Ran a 1:35:00 which I improved from a 1:37:3 on the stock Pirellis. My timing didnt work in the beggining but my buddy ran 1:33:7 and I was on his ass so I think I pulled faster than the time I recorded. The tires completely transformed the car. On turn 8 I usually enter around 120mph but the speed scrubs off to 110-112 and I managed to enter a little above 120 and stay at 120+ Better everything!

Here are some pics!

9-7900-4DD8-B67A-26CFA07368A6-894-000000779D5D291B.jpg

D-53B2-4042-B555-D30543E35748-894-0000007793621B15.jpg

A-A413-4D6E-8247-1300ACC3A03F-894-00000077A27EFF31.jpg

2-64C8-480C-99D4-A08C3C23EE85-894-0000007798A31B32.jpg

Sesshomurai

I just ran a square setup of hankook rs3's 275 at VIR. My new favorite tire.

Thanks for the review and I'm also considering these tires in similar sizes but the 265/40/18 on the front. As I recall you really thrashed your Pirelli's. How did these hold up after one day?

5 DOT 0 said:
Thanks for the review and I'm also considering these tires in similar sizes but the 265/40/18 on the front. As I recall you really thrashed your Pirelli's. How did these hold up after one day?

I wanted to the 265/40 but my buddy gets em for me and the guy only had the 265/35

I've never seen a set of these peel or get thrashed like other street tires do at the track. They show some wear. I'm not too knowledgeable about that but I will take a photo and pos it in here for u to see

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks for the review. Too bad I just mounted a set of Pilot Super Sports...the day after I ordered them, I got a strong recommendation for R-S3s from a friend.

The three tires I'm considering and in order of what I think their dry grip are:

Hankook R-S3
Michelin PSS
Nitto NT-05

Anyone have any opinions on these three? Wet grip is of low importance to me (and probably the other CA/AZ/NV members). If it was I'd use the PSS's and be done with it. I wish the Yokohama AD08's came in the proper 18" sizes and if they did they would be at the top of my list. I may just go with the Nitto NT-555 II but I'm trying to not use R comps while I'm driving my Boss to and from the track.

I have a set of PSS's for my 19" SVT wheels so I'll try them before I buy a set for my 18" Enkei PF01 wheels.

There is no comparison between the PSS and RS3. The rs3 feels like a race tire and the tread life is much less, albeit the cost nearly half.

The PSS is a great tire for street and some track but holds nothing to the RS3 on the track. The RS3 completely changed my car, I could get on the gas way harder out of turns, the grip increase was huge, didnt get greasy.

Haven't tried the NT05 but I read tons of reviews an my friend who tracks said the RS3 is better and that his NT05 peeled on the track. The rs3 is everywhere when I go to the track, tons of people using them.

5 DOT 0 said:
Great thanks. Now if the RS3 just came in slightly wider widths.

Front left. The track is mostly right hand turns (willow springs) with big sweepers so the left gets beat up. Here are pics.

Front left
-5B06-467A-BB30-82784AAE5B60-2240-0000017CFA6BEAE6.jpg

Rear left
-9B6B-4279-A607-6CAB0A76BB87-2240-0000017CFDC2E53A.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
How many track days do you think you'll get out of a set?

I really have no idea. But I can keep you guys updated and I have a few track events coming up at end of this month and beginning of next so ill know soon.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Just wait until you get some NT01s or R6s... ;D

Make sure you get an IR Pyrometer to measure your front tire temp to dial in your front camber at the track. Measure outside of tread, center of tread, and inside of tread. Ideally you want to have all three readings within 10*F for optimal tire life/grip.

ArizonaGT said:
Just wait until you get some NT01s or R6s... ;D

Make sure you get an IR Pyrometer to measure your front tire temp to dial in your front camber at the track. Measure outside of tread, center of tread, and inside of tread. Ideally you want to have all three readings within 10*F for optimal tire life/grip.

Yeah ill get there...Working my way up in tires and skill at the same time, heard it's best that way...and I dont want to carry 4 wheels in my car to the track.

Where do I get an IR Purometer? Never even heard of it...and thank you!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
DD GT3 RD said:
Yeah ill get there...Working my way up in tires and skill at the same time, heard it's best that way...and I dont want to carry 4 wheels in my car to the track.

Where do I get an IR Purometer? Never even heard of it...and thank you!

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

Yes, baby steps with tires is the best way--you can cover up bad habits and never break yourself of them if you jump straight to race tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors