The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pics from Lime Rock GS race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Joe Aquilante told me the quality control on the AST coil overs they used as spec parts for Continental GS was really bad. Pairs of dampers had totally different dampening curves and the adjusters were not consistent from one shock to the next. We got into the discussion because I was asking about maybe buying some take off parts from them and having their Lime Rock setup put under my car. I am thinking of going with the Eibach R2 setup because I can't afford Penskes at $5000 a corner.
Steve

It's been my experience that you may not like what Joe has to say, but he will not BS you on going fast, and he's probably been there before. Shocks are not my deal, but I can tell you that on the teams I worked for this year, shock consistency was always an issue.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
blacksheep-1 said:
It's been my experience that you may not like what Joe has to say, but he will not BS you on going fast, and he's probably been there before. Shocks are not my deal, but I can tell you that on the teams I worked for this year, shock consistency was always an issue.
Thanks for introducing me to Joe, Pappy. He was very generous with his time and I plan on visiting the shop and buy some parts or services just to support the teams efforts. Joel's name has been familiar to me for years even though he was a GM F body racer back in the day they had a reputation for making showroom stock racers go fast. Thanks again for sharing your experience on the site.
Steve

steveespo said:
Joe Aquilante told me the quality control on the AST coil overs they used as spec parts for Continental GS was really bad. Pairs of dampers had totally different dampening curves and the adjusters were not consistent from one shock to the next. We got into the discussion because I was asking about maybe buying some take off parts from them and having their Lime Rock setup put under my car. I am thinking of going with the Eibach R2 setup because I can't afford Penskes at $5000 a corner.
Steve

Thanks for the clarification.

Penskes are more like 1850 a corner.. Simplythe best product around for the money. We have modified the valving packages to work well with the Mustang... They keep getting better.

The inconsistency of the AST's is just maddening... We have spent a lot of money on them and get poor results... We have tried really hard to make them work, but the Penske units simply are better. And the price is not all that much higher..

Call if you have any questions. 610-482-0141, or email.

TMO Supporting Vendors