The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pics from Lime Rock GS race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overview:
We had a brand new driver in the car, Preston Calvert, he has experience in the SCCA and Corvettes and Phoenix had him practice the GS car a couple of weeks ago. So it was time to jump in with both feet! Practice at Lime Rock was limited to a 45 minute session and keep in mind that a good lap at LR is under 1 minute so it doesn't take long to go a lap down. There were only 8 cars on the lead lap and the race went green the whole way. In any case the Preston looped the car several laps in and then missed the pit board so the fuel hose wouldn't reach. So while that stop may have looked bad the pit stops actually went extremely well, I would also like to point out that this guy jumped right in with the piranhas in the season finale so if you think it's easy you should try it. That being said Billy Johnson in a Boss 302 ran down Matt Bell in the Camaro and won the race in an awesome outside move after being blocked several times, they went about half a lap side by side, you need to see this!! Andrew got into the car and we went about 4th quickest over all after doing some tire pressure changes. It was good to meet Steve also.
Anyway, here's some pics..mostly of me :)..although I have some babe pics in the works.

It's always beautiful at Lime Rock

j4AhN2Y.jpg

Preston, Kurt and Myself

IRMmNPE.jpg

temps and pressures..temps and pressures..temps and pressures....

kBcZeVG.jpg

tire guy messing with new driver

6Rp8md9.jpg

Roush car in practice, stay tuned for some news from these guys in GS

DdYDUAj.jpg

temps and pressures..temps and pressures....

pOJnDfp.jpg

my office....

xR4wAM7.jpg

excuse me, I have to get temps and pressures.....

0AXgJqZ.jpg

Great shots. Please don't tell me Roush is switching to a Porsche like Rum Bum did. ;)

NFSBOSS said:
Great shots. Please don't tell me Roush is switching to a Porsche like Rum Bum did. ;)

No but I don't think you're gonna be happy

more pics...

paperwork..

JjgsV6Cl.jpg

nAKazdwl.jpg

Nr7ox1pl.jpg

there was this snail trying to cross pit row...he made it..eventually!

4P8EVEMl.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Billy Johnson is the man! Jack Jr. Gave him the car 18 seconds behind the leader with 1 hour and 20 to go and he just kept chipping away, with 26 minutes left he was 8+ seconds back from the Stevenson Camaro, I won't describe the rest, you gotta watch it. One of the best race finishes you will see. Billy did something he had no right surviving and pulled it off.
I will post some action pics and discuss more after work.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Found the wheels
http://www.forgeline.com/products/competition-series/ga1r-open-lug.html?seo_category_name=competition-series&seo_product_name=ga1r-open-lug&pricing=1#q2
Pic

product_photo-large_image-547_zps96b471b7.jpg
They are the GAR1 model, custom offsets and multiple 18, 19, and 20" widths. $1425 each! Owwwwwwch!
Steve

steveespo said:
Found the wheels
http://www.forgeline.com/products/competition-series/ga1r-open-lug.html?seo_category_name=competition-series&seo_product_name=ga1r-open-lug&pricing=1#q2
Pic

product_photo-large_image-547_zps96b471b7.jpg
They are the GAR1 model, custom offsets and multiple 18, 19, and 20" widths. $1425 each! Owwwwwwch!
Steve
I know where to get a used 19" set of those. If anyone is interested send me a PM with your email address.

steveespo said:
Billy Johnson is the man! Jack Jr. Gave him the car 18 seconds behind the leader with 1 hour and 20 to go and he just kept chipping away, with 26 minutes left he was 8+ seconds back from the Stevenson Camaro, I won't describe the rest, you gotta watch it. One of the best race finishes you will see. Billy did something he had no right surviving and pulled it off.
I will post some action pics and discuss more after work.
Steve

Pics or ban!!

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Some pics of the race
Got to meet and talk with Blacksheep only for a short time because he was busy wrapping up the trailer and equipment after the race. He was cool enough to introduce me to Phoenix Performance owner Joe Aquilante who even after a tough day spent a good 15 minutes discussing their program, the cars, the drivers and the series. True gentleman who has been racing using his own money for many years. Hopefully the team will be able to find funding for next season, they really were running competitive laps during the race all day, just some rookie mistakes got them behind early. Joe also advised me not to play with AST stuff on the Mustang and try and go with Penske dampers if at all possible.
Sad to say but this was probably the last GS/ST class race at Lime Rock and I will miss it, it's great to see cars just like ours out there racing on my home track. The race laps were 57.80 to 58.80 range, my PB is a 1:02.23 so with a set of stickers, 300 lbs less weight and a little more skill I can run Grand Am GS! (yeah right).

LimeRockGSrace9_28_13015_zpsb04b3725.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13055_zps0920cf73.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13094_zps57a242bb.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13024_zps350e6b7b.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13028_zpsfb83f546.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13116_zpsae034295.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13127_zps02afb8aa.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13142_zpsa13c43c2.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13191_zps44b7bb27.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13204_zpscdac67ca.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13214_zps04bed3ab.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13213_zpsed0b0c7a.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13215_zps9983bcc0.jpg
LimeRockGSrace9_28_13226_zpsb5bcea24.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That's terrible. Mustangs are even more saddled with regulation BS in World Challenge; even with the best setup and drivers the cars won't be competitive the second they come off the trailer. What a waste of time, money, and resources to run a Mustang in WC GTS. What a joke, as well, considering the BOSS 302S is supposed to be the baseline car for the GTS class.

/rant

I am not necessarily a Roush fan but I do like watching some of their drivers out there, like guys that can win a race with rules that should not let a Mustang win. They did bring a lot of resources to the series, add the sad loss of Roger who also had the financial means and it's an even bigger loss.

TMO Supporting Vendors