The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pics of your GT350 or S550 Mustang at the track!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Since I posted my GT350R track vid in the Boss302 track thread (oops), I thought I'd try again and say hi here. Noob here just getting my bearings as I get used to my 2018 Orange Fury. Here's a pic in the pits at Sonoma Raceway. Hope to see some of you out there at a track event soon! (NASA TT2 for me this year). Also a short video from inside at Thunderhill West. I have the sound-defeat plugs installed on this with an external GoPro microphone. Pretty quiet!

I'm already on my second set of PSC2s and about to make my first brake pad change (adding Caliperfexion studs and trying G-Loc pads), so I'm also considering trying a different tire, maybe 305 Toyo R88Rs (but they seem heavy at 31 lbs each), or even Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 305s all around (100TW and 29 lbs).

IMG_3588.jpg

I think the Toyo's are going to be slower than the SC2's. Unless you move to R7's in a 315 square setup the stock R sizes in the SC2 are going to be hard to beat if you're concerned about lap times.

Thank you, that's interesting! I have been running R888s and Nitto NT01s on my Cayman for years, and I've loved them more than the MPSC2s, for slightly better lap times and noticeably longer life. But that a different car entirely, so it's good to know the SC2 is hard to beat. I do use the SC2s on another of my cars and it seems to be the best setup there. Also, for the 350R I had considered the Hoosier R7 as well, I wasn't sure they'd do far better on lap times. What's your opinion there... a couple seconds faster for the R7? (for example, at Laguna or Sonoma). And yes, lap time is my #1 consideration, longevity is #2, and price #3 (tied into #2, so let's call it price per track day).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Can respond on your question concerning the R7s, as I have seen about 1 to1.5 seconds improvement with the R7s on the two main tracks I run. Neither is as high speed as Willow and they will wear quicker than the Sport Cup 2s. If it is a super hot day the Michelins may even be quicker , or equal, as it still takes longer for them to get greasy compared to the Hoosiers.

Black Boss may chime in as he has run both tires quite often and he has experience on some high speed tracks - Daytona, Watkins Glen, etc.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heck Greg, an MGW short throw shift kit is made just across your State in Augusta. Cool part is the owner has had a bunch of Mustangs and there is not a better unit made in the US.........see the link on the right sidebar of the TMO Site. Great looking PP2, and with just the right options!

TMO Supporting Vendors