The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pilot Super Sport

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay got the PSS on, 265 35 19 front and 295 35 19 rear. Anyone that has run these, what is a good starting point on air pressures?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I run these at 34 psi for the street, however since these tires are speced for the M5, I found the following post from bimmerfest.com. I can say that 34 psi feels much better than 31 psi.

302 Hi Pro

Looking at the M5 owner manual page 168, I can see that below 100mph the tires should get

Front: 31psi
Rear: 31psi

and then for more than 100mph, the tires should get:

Front: 37psi
Rear: 37psi

Then if I am looking at the sticker on the door there is the normal one showing 32psi for all, and the yellow sticker with a warning stating that for more 100mph you should put 38psi for all.

It sure is tough to get old. I was looking for pressures for track use but forgot to mention that part. Anyway thanks and that helps. I have a starting point. Hope they are as good as the stock Pirellis.

You'll want to run the fronts in the 40-41 hot range and maybe a couple of pounds less in the rear. Start 32-34 and bleed off from there. I've only run them on track a couple of times though so others might have a better perspective.

ufnavy06 said:
Did you have them sitting around? I ask because I was checking everywhere for a set and no one had them.

Sean, are you looking for PSS? I don't recall which rims you have, but I have a set of PSS mounted to Enkei PF-01 rims. 40-50% tread on the PSS (street use only, never tracked) And the PF-01 are 18"x9.5" square. Tires are 285/35R18

Old picture, but them on my car:

8626656554_e5e1d90774_b.jpg Clean Car - Saturday Drive 4-6-13 by Jared Elson, on Flickr

Looking to sell both (off the car and ready to go, just haven't gotten around to selling yet)

Shoot me a PM if I can help you out.

ufnavy06 said:
Did you have them sitting around? I ask because I was checking everywhere for a set and no one had them.

I had to order them from my tire guy and there was no problems. Had them in a few days. You lucky guy. Ten minutes to Laguna? Took my LS there in 2012 and it became my favorite track. Planning another cross country trip next year so I can get back there.

This is my 3rd season using PSS (265/40ZR19 front, 295/35ZR19 rear). For me, they are happiest at 33.5-34 psi at the end of the session (hot pressure). At this pressure, the car is well balanced and grippy, tire temps are smoothly gradient across the face of the tire, and tread roll off is appropriate. The tires also wear well and uniformly. YMMV.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
BossLS said:
I had to order them from my tire guy and there was no problems. Had them in a few days. You lucky guy. Ten minutes to Laguna? Took my LS there in 2012 and it became my favorite track. Planning another cross country trip next year so I can get back there.

Not lucky anymore, as we've moved back across the country. Your tire guy must know some people because I couldn't track down a set. Ended up going with some Toyo Proxies1. We'll see how they do.

ufnavy06 said:
Not lucky anymore, as we've moved back across the country. Your tire guy must know some people because I couldn't track down a set. Ended up going with some Toyo Proxies1. We'll see how they do.

I had forgotten you had moved already and weren't local anymore. I hope our paths cross again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VooDooBOSS said:
Did you make it to Sonoma? Some of us like Sonoma even better than LS.

Did not make Sonoma on that trip. I will be back that way in 16 and will hit Sonoma and a couple of others.

athens7 said:
This is my 3rd season using PSS (265/40ZR19 front, 295/35ZR19 rear). For me, they are happiest at 33.5-34 psi at the end of the session (hot pressure). At this pressure, the car is well balanced and grippy, tire temps are smoothly gradient across the face of the tire, and tread roll off is appropriate. The tires also wear well and uniformly. YMMV.
Wow I never would have guessed that low. Last weekend I started higher but as I went lower the car got better. Another event in a couple of weeks so I will start lower.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Surfergeek said:
I had forgotten you had moved already and weren't local anymore. I hope our paths cross again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here Jared. I'll be a few hours outside of VIR, so if you head east to do some track time, let me know.

guys,

i found mpss size 285/40/19 which im not sure if it would fit with no fitment issues or not.

i have a 2013 boss oem 9.5 rear wheels . so.. would it fit ??

And because these tires are taller ( 28 inch) compared to the 285/35/19 .. how different are they gonna be for str8 line racing and corner handling (performance wise) ?

ufnavy06 said:
Same here Jared. I'll be a few hours outside of VIR, so if you head east to do some track time, let me know.

What is a few hours outside of VIR? I am a couple of hours north and I will be there on the 21st and 22nd.

eng90 said:
guys,

i found mpss size 285/40/19 which im not sure if it would fit with no fitment issues or not.

i have a 2013 boss oem 9.5 rear wheels . so.. would it fit ??

And because these tires are taller ( 28 inch) compared to the 285/35/19 .. how different are they gonna be for str8 line racing and corner handling (performance wise) ?

Height should only help performance since its still in the sweet spot. Its about the size of a lot of very high quality racing slicks with the taller sidewall.
I don't know if it will fit could be too tall but its the side wall bulge that would stop me.. Just like factory Boss 302 I assume Dave Pericak and his team liked that look and how it handled. IMO You should make sure the tread width is 0.5" narrower than the wheel size. so for a 9.5" rim you should be running max a 9" treadwidth. 255 40 19 has a tread width of 9.5" so that would be one to one, ok but no sidewall stretch.. 19" boss rims at 9.5" wide 10.5" treadwidth 285/35/19 Pirelli P0 is bulged by a full inch. P Zero Corsa comes with a 10.2" treadwidth so its not as bad..

SVT would never do such a thing that's why looking at the GT350 rear tires vs. the Boss 302 you clearly see the stretched out sidewall on the svt vs. the bulged out sidewall on the Boss.

compare-tires.jpg

Billy Johnson - Roush Mustang driver wrote this article at Moto-IQ on just this issue
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3974/How-to-PROPERLY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

*Billy’s rule of thumb:

“For ideal handling: when sizing a tire for a given wheel, I usually target a tire’s TREAD width to be as wide as the WHEEL width, or 0.5” narrower than the wheel width.”

On bulge tires

"if a tire is too wide for a given wheel width, the sidewall ‘bulges”. This usually results in sloppy handling characteristics, vague steering feel, excessive tread squirm, and the carcass of the tire can also distort and have uneven pressure across the surface of the tire."

"2. TREAD WIDTH (THIS IS WHAT MATTERS):

TireRack.com has come to the rescue by establishing a common measurement method to address this issue!!! They literally measure every make, model and size of tire with the same test procedure using a 20” long tool with a 30-degree bend in it to measure the tread width of the tire to take account various tire shapes and radiuses. This number, measured in inches, is what I view as the true width of the tread, not what is written on the side wall, since Tire Rack uses the same measurement procedures for all of the different brand tires they sell."

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We run several cars in our club with 315's on 19x11 inch wheels. Hoosier told us that as long as you keep within the one inch rule you should be fine.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel